HDR of Loyang Villas (zomg, like finally)

Status
Not open for further replies.

velasco

Jul 7, 2006
PARISris , Singapore
ukellyclarkson.com
Okay at last i did my HDR ambitions some justice. I find that this is quite okay right or its just my wishful thinking? haha

2653033558_2219a90fd8.jpg

still need to learn alot man. hope this aint too unrealistic.

3 auto bracketed exposure , Photomatix-rendered HDR

Canon Powershot S5 IS

Okay at last i did my HDR ambitions sound justice. I find that this is quite okay right or its just my wishful thinking? haha

2653033558_2219a90fd8.jpg

still need to learn alot man. hope this aint too unrealistic.

3 auto bracketed exposure , Photomatix-rendered HDR

Canon Powershot S5 IS

yes, u r rite :sweat:
the sky/cloud is not interesting...
i think the saturation too high...

I actually dig the composition; trees in the foreground, to some low level buildings, following by some tall flats, then the sky. Nice progression. But the post before me is right. A tad bit over-saturated. But overall, a pretty good effort I think!

either you have a spoilt computer monitor

or you know it's overdone but you're in denial.

sorry, this is really, really badly overdone. it has a bit of everything that i detest about badly done hdr, from oversaturation, to funny colorations, to weird lighting, to too much detail, and even haloing.

composition is not too bad though, i like the idea. if this is 3:2 ratio, leave out the trees because they are way too cluttered and do a 4:3 crop (looks like it is 4:3 already though). if not, try 5:4, 6:5, until you get something clean.

I actually dig the composition; trees in the foreground, to some low level buildings, following by some tall flats, then the sky. Nice progression. But the post before me is right. A tad bit over-saturated. But overall, a pretty good effort I think!
thank you. yesh maybe it is oversaturated.

yes, u r rite :sweat:
the sky/cloud is not interesting...
i think the saturation too high...
too high? erks kk i'll go remake
either you have a spoilt computer monitor

or you know it's overdone but you're in denial.

sorry, this is really, really badly overdone. it has a bit of everything that i detest about badly done hdr, from oversaturation, to funny colorations, to weird lighting, to too much detail, and even haloing.

composition is not too bad though, i like the idea. if this is 3:2 ratio, leave out the trees because they are way too cluttered and do a 4:3 crop (looks like it is 4:3 already though). if not, try 5:4, 6:5, until you get something clean.

hey bro, i dont know man i just play around hehe. thought its quite decent. when you say oversaturated which fragment of the tonemapping did i go wrong? is it the saturation highlights/ shadows section? do you have a default setting that you like to use? the coloring is odd cause the root images are taken in the flash white balance mode hoho , big mistake right.

lmao, maybe i should just stop trying to make HDR happen altogether, it'll never gonna work for me. -runs back to paintshop pro 7-

hey bro, i dont know man i just play around hehe. thought its quite decent. when you say oversaturated which fragment of the tonemapping did i go wrong? is it the saturation highlights/ shadows section? do you have a default setting that you like to use? the coloring is odd cause the root images are taken in the flash white balance mode hoho , big mistake right

1) oversaturation is most prominent in the trees in foreground - the greens are so green that the details are blending into one solid piece. if you view it at 100% before resizing to web you will get what i mean. other than that, there is a prominent yellow cast throughout the whole picture. it doesn't bother me in the clouds, but on the houses and the foreground houses, it does. a bit is fine, this much, no good.

2) funny colorations - linked to what i just mentioned in #1 about houses and trees. bottom part, leftmost area, the roof is red hot.

3) weird lighting - in any scene, unless the sky is overcast or at night, one would naturally expect the sky to be the brighest. maybe sometimes depending on directional lighting it is possible for objects in the picture to be as bright (at the very most). here, the bottom most layer of houses are glowing with an unholy light. this does not make sense. this is probably the result of pushing photomatix strength too hard. in hdr, your hierachy of brightness levels should still remain the same. the brighest point should remain the brightest point, the darkest point should remain the darkest point. the in betweens should remain in the same order, just that now the "tonality" is compressed so that you can see more highlight and shadow detail than usual.

4) too much detail, clouds at top part, way too much detail. nice and dramatic, and therefore tempting to reveal all the fine little hairs and tussles but it is way too much. when you look in the sky, even stare it for very long, have you ever seen clouds like that?

5) haloing is when you have a layer of strong "rim lighting" around objects and elements in the picture. you are getting it mainly at the bottom area of the picture here.

as for flash WB, whatever WB you use, you have to tweak photomatix output a little if you want to make it more saturated in the first place. otherwise, suggest stay around 50-60 levels of sat, then tweak channels selectively in photoshop. photomatix tends to saturate various channels at whim when it does the tone mapping.

i suggest you make sure that you are getting the correct input of exposures - the brightest histogram should be bunched to the right, but not so much that it is off the usual scale, the darkest histogram should be bunched to the left but not so much that it is off the scale too. then use about 40-60 strength, 50-60 sat, and adjust the white/black point for maximal detail.. before lowering luminosity by one. this will give you a very malleable, and not too overdone output to play with in photoshop.

no one gets hdr right the first time, but you have to keep trying the tone mapping AND post processing in photoshop. blindly accepting the output from photomatix is a bad idea.

anyways, my typical workflow AFTER photomatix in cs2 -
1) curves (most important)
2) color balance (also important)
3) selective saturation/desaturation (depending on level of saturation in tone mapping photomatix)
4) exposure upped a little, gamma downed a little
5) aggressive USM (slightly more than usual because of photomatix softness)

reason why i ask why your monitor is spoilt is because your other works do not usually exhibit such wantoness.

1) oversaturation is most prominent in the trees in foreground - the greens are so green that the details are blending into one solid piece. if you view it at 100% before resizing to web you will get what i mean. other than that, there is a prominent yellow cast throughout the whole picture. it doesn't bother me in the clouds, but on the houses and the foreground houses, it does. a bit is fine, this much, no good.

2) funny colorations - linked to what i just mentioned in #1 about houses and trees. bottom part, leftmost area, the roof is red hot.

3) weird lighting - in any scene, unless the sky is overcast or at night, one would naturally expect the sky to be the brighest. maybe sometimes depending on directional lighting it is possible for objects in the picture to be as bright (at the very most). here, the bottom most layer of houses are glowing with an unholy light. this does not make sense. this is probably the result of pushing photomatix strength too hard. in hdr, your hierachy of brightness levels should still remain the same. the brighest point should remain the brightest point, the darkest point should remain the darkest point. the in betweens should remain in the same order, just that now the "tonality" is compressed so that you can see more highlight and shadow detail than usual.

4) too much detail, clouds at top part, way too much detail. nice and dramatic, and therefore tempting to reveal all the fine little hairs and tussles but it is way too much. when you look in the sky, even stare it for very long, have you ever seen clouds like that?

5) haloing is when you have a layer of strong "rim lighting" around objects and elements in the picture. you are getting it mainly at the bottom area of the picture here.

as for flash WB, whatever WB you use, you have to tweak photomatix output a little if you want to make it more saturated in the first place. otherwise, suggest stay around 50-60 levels of sat, then tweak channels selectively in photoshop. photomatix tends to saturate various channels at whim when it does the tone mapping.

i suggest you make sure that you are getting the correct input of exposures - the brightest histogram should be bunched to the right, but not so much that it is off the usual scale, the darkest histogram should be bunched to the left but not so much that it is off the scale too. then use about 40-60 strength, 50-60 sat, and adjust the white/black point for maximal detail.. before lowering luminosity by one. this will give you a very malleable, and not too overdone output to play with in photoshop.

no one gets hdr right the first time, but you have to keep trying the tone mapping AND post processing in photoshop. blindly accepting the output from photomatix is a bad idea.

whoa. thanks for taking time to enlighten this noob here. haha
i will reread those lines at least 7 times and try come up with a better one.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sophomoremoira/2652323105/in/set-72157604821613186/

is there any improvements in this, if any from my first attempt tho?

on another note,

if you want to know what hdr should be looking like, if you want to steer clear of the digital painting look

look at this

on another note,

if you want to know what hdr should be looking like, if you want to steer clear of the digital painting look

look at this

in my mind, HDR has to be those over the top , clouds so dramatic, in your face details. hehe the artistic one, but i guess i was wrong :(

my perception of hdr are like these this & this

whoa. thanks for taking time to enlighten this noob here. haha
i will reread those lines at least 7 times and try come up with a better one.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sophomoremoira/2652323105/in/set-72157604821613186/

is there any improvements in this, if any from my first attempt tho?

yes, it is better, the detail is not so overdone, and the coloration here looks better to me.

only a few more things

the red lining of the buildings at the bottom. this is more likely a lens problem (not that it's spoilt).. some sort of fringing.. i am not so familiar with that. so i cannot really advise you on that. anyways, for that picture, the cloud detail is still a teeny weeny bit too much, lower the strength a bit more for tone mapping and you should be good. maybe crop out the buildings too, you don't really need the sun here, and the sky is so beautiful! :)

in my mind, HDR has to be those over the top , clouds so dramatic, in your face details. hehe the artistic one, but i guess i was wrong :(

my perception of hdr are like these this & this

that is the digital painting look, and that is what most people on flickr advocate

they're entitled to artistic license of course, but frankly, do you find the bridge shot pleasing? to me, it seems like a going through the motions. at least i can accept the second picture better.

as far as possible, i try to avoid getting anything like those 2 photos, especially the first.

you don't have to be entirely realistic, but there is a thin fine line between "just right" "not enough" and "too much" that is really very easy to cross.

i can accept the bridge one.. find it pretty interesting.. not for realism though.. since that has already went out of the window..

personally i prefer the images from night86mare's link.. but of course that's just my point of view..

Status
Not open for further replies.