HDR - First try

Status
Not open for further replies.

louismuhammad

Jul 8, 2009
Serangoon
Trying some post processing with HDR using Photomatix. I tried to push it to the limits. I don't know if I like this.

What is your opinion?

Sultan_Mosque-2.jpg

Last edited:
looks overdone.

you have to understand what HDR really means.
its about seeing that bit of detail in the shadows (when it is normally pitch black)
its about being able to see details at an overexposed area (when it should be totally blown)

use that to make adjustments to your final image.
the logic of HDR is that you can see details which u normally can't catch in one shot.

hope this helps

Lol, funny tat fainting picture. But not digging at you TS. Glad that you are laughing too...:) Anyway, the 2nd picture looks much better. However, I think some haloing is still visible around the tree trunks, etc. However, I was wondering how the original shot looks like? Why did you choose this picture to do HDR?

ts, if you do hdr more, you will soon realise, it is very hard to have very "distinct" silhouetted things in hte picture, haloing will be present and your picture will look horrible. just look at the areas where the light peeks through the tree leaves here.. the light is so stray and wild..

anyways, the second picture is a lot more natural than the first.. but that said, let us not lose sight of the most important thing in a picture - composition.

do you think more space around the mosque is better?

I was browsing the web and came across this website.
www.stuckincustoms.com
Some of the results are interesting so I decided to give it a try (just playing around with it).

Here are the original bracketed photos:

DSC_1629.jpg

DSC_1630.jpg

DSC_16311.jpg

DSC_1632.jpg

DSC_1633.jpg

Hi Bro! I myself have tried hdr and personally i think its quite difficult to get a nice picture out of it. Like you, i'm using photomatix too. Please allow me to share with you a shot i took somewhere last year at the same location. I don't really like the sky though after the tone mapping.

Original picture.
[remove due to causing unhappiness to others.]

HDR version.
[remove due to causing unhappiness to others.]

I had the HDR version made from a single raw file with 3 different exposures of +- 1. HDR experts can maybe comment something about it, so that we both can learn more. If you would like me to remove the pictures from your thread, please let me know so that i can remove it as soon as possible.:)

Last edited:
Dude, if you don't mind i'd like a try on your image.

-image removed-

Tone mapped from your original image with own code.

TS, i guess the thing about HDR is how much you can push it without weird artifacts or noise showing up. It pays to be a little critical when doing HDR. And not all images are good for HDR.

Last edited:
imho find a better day/subject to shoot for HDR's

for me rule #1 is HDR = NO PEOPLE
just me but i absolutely hate it when people do portraits then HDR them... its like pointless..

anyway... to TS
shoot on a day that has like clouds... HDR is great at bringing out the texture on what would otherwise be pretty plain objects.. excluding humans..
however when you dont have texture on something, eg: the sky there, and you HDR it, it will turn out washed out as such...

best thing is to just have a play with photomatix and see what good lookin results you can get..
try to avoid radiating things... hurts the eyes.. haha
good luck! :D

I thought this picture looked perfectly fine without HDR. I mean the mosque is nice and bright, while the rest of the shop houses are a little darker, bringing my attention to the mosque.

For HDR, I would say, think first if you really need HDR, if not, do not even bother doing it.

For example, I did a lot of bracketed shots at Marina barrage @ sunset on Saturday. In the end, I did not do a single HDR. HDR is just another tool. Not a must use.

Its over done, but nice try for your first hands-on with HDR. I wont say much since most of them here had already mentioned the important points for create HDR.

For a start, try using only three diff exposures (+2,0,-2) instead of creating five... get a suitable image for HDR, best is a clean cut n clear view image, not the one here (too cluttered). Play around with ur photomatix more often. Hope to see ur better improve version here. :)

Hi Bro! I myself have tried hdr and personally i think its quite difficult to get a nice picture out of it. Like you, i'm using photomatix too. Please allow me to share with you a shot i took somewhere last year at the same location. I don't really like the sky though after the tone mapping.

Original picture.
3846059294_93de8aac11.jpg

HDR version.
3845276403_41959a9300.jpg

I had the HDR version made from a single raw file with 3 different exposures of +- 1. HDR experts can maybe comment something about it, so that we both can learn more. If you would like me to remove the pictures from your thread, please let me know so that i can remove it as soon as possible.:)

Dude, if you don't mind i'd like a try on your image.

mosque3.jpg

Tone mapped from your original image with own code.

TS, i guess the thing about HDR is how much you can push it without weird artifacts or noise showing up. It pays to be a little critical when doing HDR. And not all images are good for HDR.

Wow, crashing others thread posting own pic and came along a lagi better one re-touching that others pic.:bigeyes:

Trying some post processing with HDR using Photomatix. I tried to push it to the limits. I don't know if I like this.

What is your opinion?

Sultan_Mosque-2.jpg

Its overdone IMHO...nevertheless, practise makes perfect and there is many thread been up discussing this....

Perhaps, spend a little time do through it and try again....do be gentle with the sliders though...:)

Good luck...and waiting for your next upload..

actually, i think louis' version makes a good postcard.

Wow, crashing others thread posting own pic and came along a lagi better one re-touching that others pic.:bigeyes:

Ho ho ho...if TS or the photographer of the 2nd pic so demands, i will respectfully remove my post. It has never been my intention to crash, only to share the extent of pp that can be done on the photos in qn.

But last i checked neither has contacted me regarding removal. And if anyone else is offended by the so-called crashing please feel free to report to mod.

In the meantime I have to second what the others are saying. Usually if the sky is gray and featureless i'd switch to taking more close-ups. A gray sky is simply terrible to post process. HDR seems to work well in close-ups where lots of detail is available.

I'm truly sorry if the posting of my pictures to share with the t/s has offended you in anyways. I will not wait for t/s to ask me to remove my pictures. I will remove it immediately. Thank you.

Since mamby has removed his pic, out of deference to him i will follow his lead and remove the pic in my post too.

I must admit I like the first pic. Sure it's not much like a photograph any more but looks quite artistic but the trouble here with so much of the advice is that everybody says you have to follow certain rules. Since when?

To the original poster, find a style that suits you. Follow the advice here if you like to get the results HDR was probably originally intended to be used but i'm with the postcard person - if that's the result you like more power to you, not that there's much left of the original photo then though:)

In the end though, go the way you like but dare to be original

Status
Not open for further replies.