HDR and night macro

Status
Not open for further replies.

TroyP

Dec 23, 2008
I wanted to try doing a HDR image of a night macro shot, but when I tried to take multiple shots with 3 exposures set, it only fired once.
Seems like you can't do multiple exposures on Nikon D90 when the flash is enabled?

Nikon D90
internal flash popped up
Exposure set to AE-F + Flash
Exposure set to 3F +/- 2.0

multiple shots enabled.

I've done this during the day without the flash, and when I take the pics it takes 3 with -2, 0, +2 exposure. Does anyone how to get this working with flash on?

Troy. where is the picture.

Ummm. I wasn't able to take it? :p
Yeah, this should probably go in another forum section :bsmilie:

damn......i thought you managed to capture a masterpiece.

Have you tried with using ext flash instead of pop up flash & fire with wireless flash remote? I don't know if it works this way :dunno:

Have you tried with using ext flash instead of pop up flash & fire with wireless flash remote? I don't know if it works this way :dunno:

No I haven't tried. I've only ever fired a remote flash which is triggered with via the internal flash. That's the only way I know.

At night your flash power is too high, the flash can't recycle fast enough to take multiple shots. You need to take each shot individually instead of the multishot mode. *shoot* *wait* *shoot* *wait* *shoot* *tadaaa*

night macro in HDR..
that is the wackiest idea I have heard of yet...

Am getting a tripod for the next outing. Have to try this method out. Hopefully some insect out there will want to pose for us

You will need specific insects that will stay still and not scare if there is any movement. Most insects like at Lower Pierce Reservoir are quite inacessible with tripod, but still possible. It would probably be easier with a 180mm macro lens since the working distance is longer.

How do you deal with flash recharging time?
My flash takes seconds to charge, during the time insect enther fly or camera got displaced.

I heard a new Casio camera which can do flash exposure bracketing.. Not on market yet.

Well my inbuilt flash is quite quick, and my SB600 shoots quite fast with new batteries.
The trick will be shooting with tripod on a subject that is not moving (hand-held that close may be a bit tough, but software like Photomatix Pro can align for you).

Status
Not open for further replies.