HDMI cable?

eedwinn

May 20, 2009
Hi guys, I have a HD ready TV and i wanna watch movies from my computer to the TV. May I know if it will work if I just connect a HDMI cable to the TV? Does connecting the cable means both the sound and video will work on the TV?

Also, would I need the newest version of 1.4 or just any which I pick up from challenger will do?

Very new to HD stuff so thanks in advance!

Hi guys, I have a HD ready TV and i wanna watch movies from my computer to the TV. May I know if it will work if I just connect a HDMI cable to the TV? Does connecting the cable means both the sound and video will work on the TV?

Also, would I need the newest version of 1.4 or just any which I pick up from challenger will do?

Very new to HD stuff so thanks in advance!

sound wont work

im sure there's a way.

but i just use my speakers.

Last edited:
sound wont work

im sure there's a way.

but i just use my speakers.

Sound WILL work if you have an Ati video card as it has HDMI audio decoding. Other brands may have a separate audio jack. All video and Audio is sent through the HDMI cable.

Sound WILL work if you have an Ati video card as it has HDMI audio decoding. Other brands may have a separate audio jack. All video and Audio is sent through the HDMI cable.

looks like i need a ati video card then.

lol. nah i'll just stick to my speakers.

Hmm so there won't be any sound from the TV if I just use the HDMI cable? What other alternatives are there?

What graphics chipset are you running in your system now?

ATI graphics card will be fine, nvidia or Intel GMAs will only give you Video HD output. Alternatives will be getting a pair of speakers for the sound.

For me, I'm using a standard D-Sub VGA cable to output from my lappy and using a creative 7.1 express card for the lappy to a creative decoder to output the sound to me Gigaworks 7.1 speakers. I'm able to run standard resolutions pretty well on my 32" Sharp Aquos HD Ready TV.

If I'm not wrong, its an onboard graphics card. On the device manager, it states "Intel(R) HD Graphics". I guess I'll just have to use my laptop speakers then?

If I'm not wrong, its an onboard graphics card. On the device manager, it states "Intel(R) HD Graphics". I guess I'll just have to use my laptop speakers then?

Yep, onboard Intel HD graphics processor. Get a pair of good Altec Lansing / Creative / Logitech speakers for your laptop and the sound quality will be great as well.

If you are more of an audiophile for music only and if you have more money to spare, you can go M-Audio speakers. ;)

does your laptop/computer have a hdmi port or not?

if it does, get a hdmi cable to connect the two and you are golden

i do this all the time... the sound WILL work...

and if all you want to do is play blu-ray or dvd rips from your laptop on your massive tv, then don't bother about hdmi 1.4 and all that ... get the cheapest hdmi cable you can find... challenger sells it for $23 or so.. i have been using it for nearly 2 years now and there is no problem

Yes my laptop has a HDMI port. I keep having mixed answers as to HDMI cable will or will not produce sound when connected to the TV. So which is the correct one? As can be seen above, NovJoe mentioned that it will only work if I have ATI graphics card?

if you laptop has a hdmi port, and your tv has hdmi port, then audio will be supported... as i said, i do it all the time... hdmi is designed to be a single cable to carry both audio and video...

so here's what you need to do... connect the tv and laptop with the hdmi cable... switch the display to the tv from your laptop (normally its fn+f5 or fn+f7 or some such combination - lenovo is fn + f7.... if you are using windows 7, try the windows key + p to switch)... and that's it ...

you might have to turn up the volume a bit on the tv ....

and i haven't heard of any hdmi port which is just audio or just video...

and i haven't heard of any hdmi port which is just audio or just video...
Bro
Just because you have not heard of it does not mean it does not exist. Its a feature for many higher end Home theatre systems.
Audio and Video only ports are rather common if you move out of the PC world.
And not all Video / Audio PC cards carry both signals.

That is also rather common.

Ideally they should, but audiophiles often do not want to to so.

Having said that if you really want good sound, HDMI is not the why to go, due to its high jitter rate.

Have a read of the threads over at Hardwarezone - display section for more enlightening info.

Cheers.

@petetherock

i am fully aware of audio and video ports only, hdmi is designed for audio + video in a single cable - that is the basic design concept of hdmi

and in this case, if his pc has a hdmi port and doesn't carry audio & video both, then its a bummer machine... which i doubt it is... any decent laptop with a hdmi port would be expected to have a pass-through connector to run the audio signal to the graphics card to combine the digital video and audio into a single stream that is output via hdmi

at the risk of going slightly off-topic - a true audiophile setup would not be playing from pc to tv... it would be going to a a/v receiver first, and from there to tv and speakers...

Last edited:
If it is HDMI port on both side, then both sound and video should be supported.

On some laptops, they don't have HDMI ports, but DVI ports which outputs video for display ONLY (meant more for computer digital display output instead of analog VGA). In this case, a DVI to HDMI will allow connection to the TV, but there'll be no audio bcoz on laptop side is actually DVI port which does not support audio.

Thanks everyone, I have gotten my answer. It works for both audio and video! Now I can enjoy my shows from the TV! :)

excellent eedwinn ... enjoy !!! :)