HDD enclosures with RAID and eSata?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hazmee

May 9, 2004
Sengkang
noorhazmee.com
Anyone here can recommend something which I can get locally? Nothing too fancy or expensive would be great. Thanks!

I thought the Buffalo series does that. I would recommend you go to Storage STudio at SLS - they are the leaders in storage products.

oh... tio I forgotten. :embrass:

Memoryworld may have those... but I not sure since I switch vendor...

most have... depends on budget... for more wide range of brands, then go Storage Studios, but price not really fantastic, often a slight premium compared outside, but they're more knowledgeable and friendly compared to others. If really know nuts, go there best... at least they got more exotic stuff and got price list so not kena chopped carrot head straight in the face like some shops which don't have a price list.

memoryworld, some of the ppl there dunno anything, you have to know what you want, and they only carry their own items since they're like distributors instead of retailers.

Thanks for the info man! Will check out Storage Studios. They are on the 4th floor correct?

Wah... so long neber been into to SLS liao. Tks boss!

Last edited:
THANKSS!!!! Exactly what I was looking for!

You are welcome.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND you using JBOD (Just a bunch of disc) mode. RAID will be ideal.

If you are solely using it for storage purpose, I would recommend you go with Western Digital Green 1TB (low electricity consumption and drives are relatively cool) and cheap drives ($155 per HDD).

If you are going to slightly faster performance, Western Digital Black Caviar 1TB would be an ideal pairing. (I am using this). $200 per HDD.

Any IT gurus know if XP/Vista only supports/recognize up to 2TB for external HDD?

You are welcome.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND you using JBOD (Just a bunch of disc) mode. RAID will be ideal.

If you are solely using it for storage purpose, I would recommend you go with Western Digital Green 1TB (low electricity consumption and drives are relatively cool) and cheap drives ($155 per HDD).

If you are going to slightly faster performance, Western Digital Black Caviar 1TB would be an ideal pairing. (I am using this). $200 per HDD.

Any IT gurus know if XP/Vista only supports/recognize up to 2TB for external HDD?

Dun think so... should be able to go more than that... its normally the driver and the firmware fault... but have to check if the filesystem support...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS

In theory, the maximum NTFS volume size is 264-1 clusters. However, the maximum NTFS volume size as implemented in Windows XP Professional is 232-1 clusters. For example, using 64 KiB clusters, the maximum NTFS volume size is 256 TiB minus 64 KiB. Using the default cluster size of 4 KiB, the maximum NTFS volume size is 16 TiB minus 4 KiB. (Both of these are vastly higher than the 137GB limit in unpatched Windows XP due to lack of 48-bit LBA hard drive addressing support) Because partition tables on master boot record (MBR) disks only support partition sizes up to 2 TiB, dynamic or GPT volumes must be used to create bootable NTFS volumes over 2 TiB.

but it never say you cannot create multiple partitions... so if u have 10tb, u just create 5 2tb partition.

Errr... I have a couple of WD 1TB Green and I am using a Mac... should i be concerned about this?

Dun think so... should be able to go more than that... its normally the driver and the firmware fault... but have to check if the filesystem support...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS

In theory, the maximum NTFS volume size is 264-1 clusters. However, the maximum NTFS volume size as implemented in Windows XP Professional is 232-1 clusters. For example, using 64 KiB clusters, the maximum NTFS volume size is 256 TiB minus 64 KiB. Using the default cluster size of 4 KiB, the maximum NTFS volume size is 16 TiB minus 4 KiB. (Both of these are vastly higher than the 137GB limit in unpatched Windows XP due to lack of 48-bit LBA hard drive addressing support) Because partition tables on master boot record (MBR) disks only support partition sizes up to 2 TiB, dynamic or GPT volumes must be used to create bootable NTFS volumes over 2 TiB.

but it never say you cannot create multiple partitions... so if u have 10tb, u just create 5 2tb partition.

GURU DCA,

Thanks for the clarification. As I thought, even XP 64bit does not support it at all.........only can do an array of 2TB HDD......but must total up to 2TB max.

Status
Not open for further replies.