HDD Activity Light on continously

Status
Not open for further replies.

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
Planet Nikon
Hi all,

I have this perculiar problem with my CPU. The other time I had problems booting up, seems like loose video card or something, after fixing it, it booted up, but the HDD light is continously lighted up.

Since my system runs fine, I never had a problem with the software I just left it be.

Right now, I'm cutting DVDs at 4X (5.5MB/s) it's taking very long time, approx 40+ minutes for a 4.5GB full DVD-R. The buffer on Nero fluctuates from 23-78, before my problem with booting up, the buffer is always around 100%. My Mac burns 4X (2GB) in less than 8mins. And now my system burning is like 20mins for 2GB+. :(

I didn't think much of this problem as the DVDs I cut so far can be read on my Plextor (see my config beside this post). Recently just cut a DVD for a friend, he had problems using the disc on both his Mac and PC, stream read error. So now beginning to wonder if the HDD activity light really hinting the HDD is working or it's a HW malfunction?

I tried reversing the cable but the light is not lit up, so it cannot be I plug the wire wrong way.

Any suggestions anybody?

If you want to know...

AMD 64 3000+
Western D PATA 200GB
Dual Channel 512 x 2 DDR-400
Plextor 708A DVD RW

do you track those softwares running in the background? or spywares?
did you try booting up in safe mode and see if there's improvement?

you're probably right, it's about time to get your HDD checked.

say, you have 2 systems right? why not try your dvd-writer on your other system and see how it goes first?

I've tracked the processed, the only one with 99% (yes, even at burning) is system idle process. Right now I've just finished cutting a 4.4GB disc @ 4X, completed at over 50minutes. :rolleyes:

I'll try safe mode the next time and see. Now is unsure what's causing the slowness. I'm able to run PS & NC 4.0 together opening NEFs and JPEGs.

Hmm my HDD? It's running fine, I do iTunes and image editing on it, hmmm maybe will check the HDD. I remembered I tried to run rmvb files it will hang after a while, maybe it's the HDD.

I have 1 system only now :bsmilie: To test, need to bring the drive to office. My other system is a notebook now :)

when u have unusual cpu usage or hdd activity, most probably means u kena something liao..

i used to have very high cpu usage, even when i'm not running any programs, just waving my mouse cursor around the screen will generate close to 50-60% cpu usage. antivirus and antispyware software couldnt detect or solve anything, so i reformatted my hdd n problem solved.

Stereobox said:
when u have unusual cpu usage or hdd activity, most probably means u kena something liao..

i used to have very high cpu usage, even when i'm not running any programs, just waving my mouse cursor around the screen will generate close to 50-60% cpu usage. antivirus and antispyware software couldnt detect or solve anything, so i reformatted my hdd n problem solved.
Yep, I know what you mean, thing is my CPU runs smoothly, no problems in starting applications, multitasking heavily off NC4.0 & PS CS2 (these 2 apps well known to suck resources).

The HDD light just lit up once I start the PC (ie press power button), so don't know what's wrong. When burning, system idle process is 99%. Not other apps. :dunno:

don't know if you can be patient enough, but it'd be nice if you could get yourself these few programs:

TuneUp Utilities
Executive Software Diskeeper
Spybot -Search & Destroy
Ad-aware

these are all excellent software, especially the first 2 i've listed, i've been using them regularly for close to 2 years now, never failed me. why? cos i haven't formatted my systems in these 2 years and they're all running in tip-top conditions. :D

Don't think it's ad/spy ware.
My computer also had this problem a few weeks ago..

I flashed a new firmware for my DVDRW drive.

whatever it is, be patient for a while and don't go formatting your system just because of this issue unless proven REALLY NECESSARY, like CODE RED or something :bsmilie:

get your system's software and hardware thoroughly checked out first before doing the necessary, i know of friends who format their systems everytime their MOUSE fails (of course i'm exaggerating, but u get the point), so just thought i'd share this info before all the stuff in your HDD goes byebye for nothing.

Look at Event log from clues. If it is HD problem it normally will record something there. Mine did.

If u don't do any editing (or don do anything), the HDD light
still blinking continously? If so something is wrong. Check the
performance thru Windows Task Manager.

Processes shown in the task manager (CPU) has no relation to your HDD activity.

U can check what job that utilize big memory usage mah.

You can try this :
After powering on the Computer and it completes it's BIOS system checks and boots to Win XP menu (the one with safe mode to select), try stopping the count down timer by press any of the up or down arrow keys. Does the HD LED still remain lit at this moment? If it does, then you most likely is experiencing some hardware failure. If the HD LED remains lit only after booting up to windows, then the failure would most likely be related to your OS.

Hope this little info helps.

Hi Waffle.

What does 'TuneUp Utilities' & 'Executive Software Diskeeper' do? Are they spyware removal tools? Are they free?

Thanks.

Waffle said:
don't know if you can be patient enough, but it'd be nice if you could get yourself these few programs:

TuneUp Utilities
Executive Software Diskeeper
Spybot -Search & Destroy
Ad-aware

these are all excellent software, especially the first 2 i've listed, i've been using them regularly for close to 2 years now, never failed me. why? cos i haven't formatted my systems in these 2 years and they're all running in tip-top conditions. :D

I had adaware installed prior to my new machine, it was up for 3 years, no formatting only migration of disk image from HDD to a new HDD. :) I don't mind trying out the software if it's free :stickton heehee. I still believe in open source. Let's see what the rest can offer to me as a solution :bsmilie: Formatting is still a option to me as I only have windows installed on a 20GB partition, so installation + reinstallation is not an issue to me.

AReality said:
Don't think it's ad/spy ware.
My computer also had this problem a few weeks ago..

I flashed a new firmware for my DVDRW drive.
Gav, Mine still under warranty... no go on flashing firmwares, especially when I paid a premium for this DVDRW :sweat:

LolliPoP said:
If u don't do any editing (or don do anything), the HDD light
still blinking continously? If so something is wrong. Check the
performance thru Windows Task Manager.
It's not blinking, it's 24/7 lit, there's no activity from the HDD.

bartman said:
You can try this :
After powering on the Computer and it completes it's BIOS system checks and boots to Win XP menu (the one with safe mode to select), try stopping the count down timer by press any of the up or down arrow keys. Does the HD LED still remain lit at this moment? If it does, then you most likely is experiencing some hardware failure. If the HD LED remains lit only after booting up to windows, then the failure would most likely be related to your OS.

Hope this little info helps.
Hi, the HDD light is on the moment I power up the machine :)

espn said:
Gav, Mine still under warranty... no go on flashing firmwares, especially when I paid a premium for this DVDRW :sweat:

It's not blinking, it's 24/7 lit, there's no activity from the HDD.

Hi, the HDD light is on the moment I power up the machine :)

espn.... Just wondering
Is your HDD and your optical drive on the same port(cable)?
Also have you tried troubleshooting with just the minimum config? i.e. PC with bare essentials H/W to boot up...

HDD light on continuously? :think: When I fix up my PC wrongly, some of the lights will be on continuously. This is a sure indication that something is not plugged in right. Time to open up pc and check.

Status
Not open for further replies.