HDB property prices...increase maintain or reduce?

HDB property prices...increase maintain or reduce? What will be an ideal situation fo

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
shouldn't that be the best time to buy?

....sure if you have a job or cash in hand.......like some PRCs who went to USA to buy up homes from those who are broke....or the frugal immigrants who have cash....you may just be the nest millionaire when the round of bubbles form if you are like the....

Last edited:
....sure if you have a job or cash in hand.......like some PRCs who went to USA to buy up homes from those who are broke....or the frugal immigrants who have cash....you may just be the nest millionaire when the round of bubbles form if you are like the....
how true, been there done that.

mm... from the poll it seems that it is 50-50 for those who wishes prices to rise vs fall

mm... from the poll it seems that it is 50-50 for those who wishes prices to rise vs fall

Those that own flats would want an Increase....

Those that want to buy flat would want a Decrease....

As simple as that..... :sweat:

Not true. I own a flat and am not intending to buy one, but I don't mind seeing an overall sustained and more moderate pricing. Even if it means a one off decrease to -100%, I'm all for it :)

Those that own flats would want an Increase....

Those that want to buy flat would want a Decrease....

As simple as that..... :sweat:

Dear All,

I am just curious, having seen all the HDB property prices related threads, do you seriously want HDB prices to fall?

I guess this poll/question will attract different responses, depending on your situation or life cycle stages you're in. Come share your opinons...

I figure property prices in Spore will only go up in long term. HDB property, slower than private as Sporeans are a rich bunch, Plus all the even RICHER foreigners settling down in Spore will create price inflation for the middleclass in spore.

When Spore finally runs out of steam in the next 20 yrs, that's where all the foreign funds will flow over to Malaysia, and that's where we will start to see property prices collapse.

My humble opinion.

It does depend on the situation :p Someone who want to buy one would want the prices to fall, while those that want to "upgrade" to a private, will want it to rise. On a broader scale, HDB flats are the most valuable assets of most Singaporeans and we won't want our assets to lose value.

Not true. I own a flat and am not intending to buy one, but I don't mind seeing an overall sustained and more moderate pricing. Even if it means a one off decrease to -100%, I'm all for it :)

So, do you intend, IF you are selling your flat, to sell at Market price or below Market ?? :think:

Last edited:
Nice leading question, but it failed to achieve its intended effect.

I will set at market price; as it is not my problem or responsibility for inflating the market price to begin with. If the market price at that time is -100% because the Govt took the decision to have a one-off correction, I won't be complaining either. If the market price is propped up even more by the Govt's artificial inflation (perhaps say at +1000%), then that will be the market price I will sell at. I am not responsible for setting the market price :)

Good for you.... So, do you intend, IF you are selling your flat, to sell at Market price or below Market ?? :think:

I will set at market price; as it is not my problem or responsibility for inflating the market price to begin with. If the market price at that time is -100% because the Govt took the decision to have a one-off correction, I won't be complaining either.

common, talk is cheap. Are u VERY SURE you will not be complaining if the price fall by -100%.... which is basically worthless????

this is ridiculous

My apologies, when I wrote -100%, I was thinking about half the value (like +100%). Replace all instances of -100% to -50%.

By the way, talk is also cheap for your posts :)

common, talk is cheap. Are u VERY SURE you will not be complaining if the price fall by -100%.... which is basically worthless????

this is ridiculous

I will set at market price; as it is not my problem or responsibility for inflating the market price to begin with. If the market price at that time is -100% because the Govt took the decision to have a one-off correction, I won't be complaining either. If the market price is propped up even more by the Govt's artificial inflation (perhaps say at +1000%), then that will be the market price I will sell at. I am not responsible for setting the market price :)

No 'effect' is needed.....

Just to proof that no one would want to sell below Market price.... even if they, in principle, is not agreeing to any price hike.... be it 'artificial inflation' or not. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
From a finance perspective, if HDB prices takes a dip and banks and HDB start calling for top up because homes are now underwater (ie loans are greater than the value of the flats), how do you guys think the majority of population are going to take it ? 80 % of the population which stays in HDB are not only going to find themselves facing a reduction in their asset value but most will struggle to find money for top ups else they may risk getting kicked out of their homes. Then it becomes not cash over valuation problem but cash to top up problem and instead of affecting 'new buyers' which may form a small % of the population, now a significant number of singaporeans are affected ..

Last edited:
From a finance perspective, if HDB prices takes a dip and banks and HDB start calling for top up because homes are now underwater (ie loans are greater than the value of the flats), how do you guys think the majority of population are going to take it ? 80 % of the population which stays in HDB are not only going to find themselves facing a reduction in their asset value but most will struggle to find money for top ups else they may risk getting kicked out of their homes. Then it becomes not cash over valuation problem but cash to top up problem and instead of affecting 'new buyers' which may form a small % of the population, now a significant number of singaporeans are affected ..
sounds like a sub prime problem to me, SG style :)

what should i wish for?

u want me to tell u what to wish for ?
ok then, wish for property prices to go up ..as i am a property owner ...
then i can sell my property in singapore and migrate to australia ...
own big house, own few cars and still surf CS from Australia :bsmilie:

can ?

u want me to tell u what to wish for ?
ok then, wish for property prices to go up ..as i am a property owner ...
then i can sell my property in singapore and migrate to australia ...
own big house, own few cars and still surf CS from Australia :bsmilie:

can ?
good for you.

good for you.

thanks ... :)

Seriously, there are 2 schools of thought as far as property prices are concerned

One school will always think that property prices are too high and will wait for correction to commit. Even when the correction comes, they will still be half hearted about committing.

The other school of thought basically 'just do it'. i need a roof over my head, i do my maths, this is what i can afford - so what if i have to stay in some ulu place. If the market goes up, i am 'hedged' (and over time as my flat appreciates and my income level goes up, i upgrade). If market comes down, then my consolation is 'i dont have to pay rent and still dont have to pay rent'.

Historically, ever since independence, market has been moving up, just look at how HDB prices have moved in the last 2 -3 years. Will market return to 1990 pricing, i doubt so with the projected growth of the population.

For lack of a better word, the alliance of non property owners have been 'squeezing balls' and i suspect will continue to do so, despite all their rantings and ravings. Government is not going to change policy and antagonize x % of the population who own property for a minority y %. If anything, government may look at modifying the present system to contain the rapidly escalating prices, but they will not risk depressing the market that will affect the majority of Singaporeans.

Historically, people who have committed to property have enjoyed the appreciation of their investments. Not all have rich parents who can support them, yet they manage through sheer determination, buying within their budget and location, watching their expenditure and foregoing frills. Couples complain about the high price of property, but yet they commit to spending tens of thousands of dollars on their wedding day, honeymoon or paying for that designer renovation and the expensive furniture and fittings. To me, its like, ya .. the flat is expensive to buy because i have to spend on A, B C above and because of ABC now i cannot afford a flat, so i complain.

thanks ... :)

Seriously, there are 2 schools of thought as far as property prices are concerned

One school will always think that property prices are too high and will wait for correction to commit. Even when the correction comes, they will still be half hearted about committing.

The other school of thought basically 'just do it'. i need a roof over my head, i do my maths, this is what i can afford - so what if i have to stay in some ulu place. If the market goes up, i am 'hedged' (and over time as my flat appreciates and my income level goes up, i upgrade). If market comes down, then my consolation is 'i dont have to pay rent and still dont have to pay rent'.

Historically, ever since independence, market has been moving up, just look at how HDB prices have moved in the last 2 -3 years. Will market return to 1990 pricing, i doubt so with the projected growth of the population.

For lack of a better word, the alliance of non property owners have been 'squeezing balls' and i suspect will continue to do so, despite all their rantings and ravings. Government is not going to change policy and antagonize x % of the population who own property for a minority y %. If anything, government may look at modifying the present system to contain the rapidly escalating prices, but they will not risk depressing the market that will affect the majority of Singaporeans.

Historically, people who have committed to property have enjoyed the appreciation of their investments. Not all have rich parents who can support them, yet they manage through sheer determination, buying within their budget and location, watching their expenditure and foregoing frills. Couples complain about the high price of property, but yet they commit to spending tens of thousands of dollars on their wedding day, honeymoon or paying for that designer renovation and the expensive furniture and fittings. To me, its like, ya .. the flat is expensive to buy because i have to spend on A, B C above and because of ABC now i cannot afford a flat, so i complain.

:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.