HDB in HDR

Status
Not open for further replies.

OzOn3

Jul 12, 2003
Singapore
www.nig3l.com
Hi Peeps,

I took this picture in the wee hours of the morning. The clouds were purple, but i did a little of post processing to deepen it.

Composition:
There wasn't many options for me to frame this shot because i'm shooting from my room's window, so the only perspective i could get was this. But i felt that it was a good enough perspective

Critique wanted:

• Does the half-half separation of subjects (clouds and building) work for you?
  • Does this work as a surrealistic piece?
  • Is the HDB too white? I left it like that because it made the buildings have a more 3D feel to it. Yes?
3371079009_bbab0cc28d.jpg

I thought I can see a lot of activity on the road.

No expert on HDR, sorry unable to give any comment.

hdr hdr hdr aside,

look at the composition. you have a wonky (i.e. not very effective) leading line, intended or not, leading people into the frame, and then happily out right.

is this the most photogenic angle you can take of these blocks? have you put in enough effort to capture the best angle you could? questions to think about.

the title alone makes me scary. take n86m pointers seriously.

The previous chaps have contributed quite a lot of constructive comments.

Hence, w.r.t #2, I doubt it will qualify as a surrealistic piece. There are too many elements that inject a sense of normality in this scene.

Even for composites, the colors unfortunately do not complement each other beautifully.

nm86:

Thanks! I thought the leading lines stopped around 3/4 to the right of the picture.. haha. Guess i'm not that observant. Anyhow, that was the only angle i could take, perhaps framing would help? would it?

hairy:

Thanks for your comments, but what do you mean by taking nm86 pointers seriously? Hmm? And what do you mean by the title itself makes you scary?

Laser:

Wha! Thanks! I guess you've provided me with a new perspective (too many items makes it normal)! I actually never thought of it that way.. but i think you have a point!

draken:

Yeah hg central :D

nm86:

Thanks! I thought the leading lines stopped around 3/4 to the right of the picture.. haha. Guess i'm not that observant. Anyhow, that was the only angle i could take, perhaps framing would help? would it?

if there is no shot from the location, best not to take ..

contrary to popular belief, good photographers don't just pick up the camera, look out of the window and take shots, they think about perspective, they move.. :)

if there is no shot from the location, best not to take ..

contrary to popular belief, good photographers don't just pick up the camera, look out of the window and take shots, they think about perspective, they move.. :)
Haa.. Guess i've lots of work to do before being a good photographer :)

But photographers don't always have the best of conditions to take right? I saw a book titled 100 days in photos by nat geo, and some of the pictures are.. well not up to expectations. But still, they made it to print! So then, don't the photographers have to "just pick up the camera, look out of the window and take shots"? Haa.. I guess if the subject is too compelling, then it would have to have some exceptions, right??

Haa.. Guess i've lots of work to do before being a good photographer :)

But photographers don't always have the best of conditions to take right? I saw a book titled 100 days in photos by nat geo, and some of the pictures are.. well not up to expectations. But still, they made it to print! So then, don't the photographers have to "just pick up the camera, look out of the window and take shots"? Haa.. I guess if the subject is too compelling, then it would have to have some exceptions, right??

let's not get ahead of ourselves, nat geo photographers are the cream of the crop -

if you know just how much work goes into every nat geo publication, the amount of pictures that are submitted for editorial, before whatever the public sees come out.. then you might better appreciate what you see in that book. most of these photographers are giving assignments, they don't just go around snapping like they're on holiday.. they have an expense account, they have the leisure to wait for appropriate light. of course i haven't seen the book but i am certain there will be a certain amount of decency in the book.

not every photograph has to be some masterpiece full of drama. sometimes the quietest photos that leave a lasting impression are far more enjoyable than the typical loud, colorful landscape that you see flying around the internet these days.

some pictures are meant to be viewed in large print, rather than book size. to give respect where it is due, that is just as important as judging one's self.

Last edited:
hi, i will not comment on others since this would hav been the best perspective you've got. i'll only base on your 3 items you wanted.

* Does the half-half separation of subjects (clouds and building) work for you?
cloud and building alone. it's ok but when the street is included, it's spoilt. color distraction. it doesn't blend well. blue with amber street light blends well.
* Does this work as a surrealistic piece?
when you do half-half separation. it's not surreal anymore in this case.
* Is the HDB too white? I left it like that because it made the buildings have a more 3D feel to it. Yes?
have you tried tweaking with colors on the building? you might be surprised with what you might get...in this piece, i can only see that you tried to dramatize the sky with purple hue but ppl may not know it's HDR without the tite.

that's my humble opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.