HDB flats at blue hour

nissanmanic

Mar 13, 2010
Singapore (Ulu Pandan)
1.In what area is critique to be sought?

Mainly composition, any feedback in general would be nice.

2.what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

Capture a cityscape/architectural scene during the blue hour.

3.under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

Blue hour during dusk, not much clouds, can be regarded as a plain sunset?

4.what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

In two minds about the photo, I feel that it's alright, but not good. Can't really pinpoint what's wrong with it, just that when I look at the shot it just looks like a snapshot? Am looking for suggestions and critique to improve on the thought process, framing, etc of shooting cityscapes/architectural shots. ;) Thanks for viewing.

6038416222_d978296f29_b.jpg

HDR is not really needed for this as a simple long exposure would be good enough. The even blue sky kind of gave the whole picture a cut-out and flat look.

2.what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

Capture a cityscape/architectural scene during the blue hour.

When you take a photo, it might be useful to have in mind an end product, or rather, something that you wish to portray. This might be what your photo is lacking. Although you have managed to capture a scene during the blue hour, there is nothing that really demands your attention.

You could experiment with various ideas, such as trying to capture the hustle and bustle of the rush hour crowd on their way home to the heartlands. A long enough exposure to capture the MRT entering the station, light streaks from the traffic on the roads and perhaps even the setting sun in the background as an indicator of time.

Hi! Thanks for all the feedback! been quite busy lately and will ponder over the points brought up! ;) Thanks for the feedback again!

In two minds about the photo, I feel that it's alright, but not good. Can't really pinpoint what's wrong with it, just that when I look at the shot it just looks like a snapshot? Am looking for suggestions and critique to improve on the thought process, framing, etc of shooting cityscapes/architectural shots. ;)

look out for balance, empty spaces. sky is pretty boring, so thats one big patch of blue la. then right next to it is 1 uber HDB which is quite heavy

what is the main thing u want to show case here? that might aid your thought process

HDR is not really needed for this as a simple long exposure would be good enough. The even blue sky kind of gave the whole picture a cut-out and flat look.

HDB right.. not HDR photo..
i would prefer if you could include a mrt's light trail ( prefer red )

It's actually fine if one thinks of it in a commercial (property) sense and not entirely artistic. Property with MSC & MRT nearby.

Is there a need or want to include anything else to "spice it up", it's up to you and your intent. Singapore is so built up there's going always to be something in the background.

Maybe a bit too much blue night sky which holds nothing of interest, so maybe it can be cropped or composed off.

The vertical building dominates, but because its not as well lit, it somehow fights for attention with the brighter streets and MRT.
Don't think anything can be done about it though, except for waiting a bit later to see if the building turns on more lights.

Overall, a nice photo. Well done.

Overall quite a nice picture. But if I have to nitpick... the problem is that there is nothing to capture interest in the background save for the huge block of flats next to the mrt station. As others have mentioned, the flat, featureless blue sky is boring & does not attract the eye. Ditto for the poorly lit HDB/buildings in the background. Hence, all the attention gets pulled to the brightly lit mrt station & light trails on the roads in the foreground.

Might be better if you wait for a later timing when the sky darkens, allowing for a longer exposure for a more balanced picture (buildings become brighter). I'm not sure but a landscape orientation might also help improve the composition to reduce the dominance of the central block of flats that somehow throws the balance of the image off.

cheers!

Hi! Didn't check on the thread in recent days because alot of deadlines are coming up. Thank you all for the really constructive advice! Probably have to go at another time to see if the sky could be more dramatic or something, thanks once again for all who've adviced, hope to shoot better the next time round ;)

Last edited: