HD TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaknafein

Oct 29, 2005
my room
www.flickr.com
anybody here has any recommendations for HD TV?
i might be getting 1 at around 40+ inch. any brands to recommend?
anything to look out for? what is the difference between HD and full HD and how to tell them apart from specs?

thanks a lot bros :)

Full HD and HD ready are different resolutions. Like in cameras, there are 8mp, 12mp and so on. Full HD higher resolution that displays at 1080p. HD ready is at 720p and 1080i but can accept 1080p signals and downscale to HD reay size.

How to tell them apart? Look at the TV and specs la.

Just bought a Toshiba and it is very good at SDTV programmes. Football Channel is quite clear. Clearest are the mediacrop Chs, Supersports, ESPN and Starsports.

Things to take note besides screen size:
1. Full HD or HD ready. Full HD more ex.
2. HDMI inputs, more better. (New type of AV connection)
3. Picture quality. Demo sets will be set up to super bright, so try to ask for the remote and play with the picture settings. If possible, bring your own disc/dvd to try or record a SDTV programme on disc and play at the store.
4. Sound quality. Should not be a problem as most have decent sound.

Generally people recommend the 3S; Sony, Sharp and Samsung. IMHO, Sony has the best PQ and Toshiba is worth a look. Don't like Samsung and LG's PQ. Philips is good as well. Panasonic's design is not so nice.

samsung is having discounts now. just now i was in courts, their price shown can be discounted even further more, and with free home theather set. seems like they were the cheapest just now. dunno about the quality though.

oh, and pioneer's kuro series looks damn cool!!!! but just dun look at the price tag.

edit: a side question i would like to ask. i saw in the brouche that to receive HD signals from mediacorp(ie, non mio or cable tv), i need an anntenae plus a HD decoder box. they specifically stated that signal must come direct from air, not the starhub cable point. but for me, i'm dun have cable tv, but i use the starhub cable point to receive channels(they installed cable because for internet), so how should i get the hd signals? thanks!

There are the Plasmas...and the LCDs...also to think about...some people prefer the LCDs while others Plasmas,i bought the 42" Panasonic Viera plasma few weeks back,not the full-HD version as i think the full-HD will not catch on here just yet,maybe in a few years time when prices of the fullHD drops further and fullHD programs get full-scale than i think its worth it...its just my opinion,though...;)

well, the one im considering is philips 42PFL7422 42". its an lcd HD.

1920x1080p (so its full HD right?)
2xHDMI inputs (these are used to connect dvd players etc to tv?)
pc input (wats this for?)

cost about 3600 before discount. is it ok to buy from those courts/harvey norman/best denki? or is there better shops around tats good service + reasonable price? btw, wats the average lifespan of a LCD tv? i got a feeling they dun last as long as our old CRTs.

cost about 3600 before discount. is it ok to buy from those courts/harvey norman/best denki? or is there better shops around tats good service + reasonable price? btw, wats the average lifespan of a LCD tv? i got a feeling they dun last as long as our old CRTs.

1920x1080p (so its full HD right?) - Yes.
2xHDMI inputs (these are used to connect dvd players etc to tv?) - Yes.
pc input (wats this for?) - Connect to your PC/laptop, to show your PC's screen.
btw, wats the average lifespan of a LCD tv? - About 60,000 hrs.

edit: a side question i would like to ask. i saw in the brouche that to receive HD signals from mediacorp(ie, non mio or cable tv), i need an anntenae plus a HD decoder box. they specifically stated that signal must come direct from air, not the starhub cable point. but for me, i'm dun have cable tv, but i use the starhub cable point to receive channels(they installed cable because for internet), so how should i get the hd signals? thanks!

Not so sure about the over the air thing but for sure you need a HD set-top box like the Draco one etc to receive HDTV as most LCD TVs in SG dun have a digital tuner built in. Samsung has a model that have a digital tuner.

HDMI are used to connect Blu-ray players, HD-DVD players, PS3, HD set-top box, DVD players with HDMI etc etc. PC-input is for people who have a PC and want to use the LCDTV as their monitor. Of cause they will be using wireless keyboard and mouse. :bsmilie:

Since you're buying a 42" Full HD, why dun consider models that have the 100Hz panel. Clearer, richer and smoother images but you better go check them out for yourself as it might not make a diff to you. But take note that SDTV programmes might not be as clear or good on LCDTVs. Some brands handle SDTV better, some not so good.

Philips' top model have 100Hz and Ambi-light but will cost a bomb. Or try Sony, Sharp or Samsung's offering.

Neighbourhood shops will be cheaper. Mega discount store is also not too bad. But Best Denki etc etc have promos now and then.

Do also check the panel batch,some might be cheaper but its of older generation panel. IIRC,the latest batch of plasma is G10,not sure of the latest LCD panel batch,though.

Generally, the later you get the TV, the better it is ;-p
My 1.7K 23" 2 yrs ago is already obselete now. ;-p

Anyway, LG / Samsung is the cheapest decent brands (Emm, they make all the LCD Panels anyway).
However, personally I preferred Jap Brands like Sharp.

Why? I would say the intuitiveness of the control layout. Most of them can have the same thing, but the controls are different.
I have 3 LCD TVs at home, a Samsung, a Sharp & a LG.

I would say that the best of the lot will be Sharp. Donno how to explain but use it and you know.
However, I think that the sharp's darkest black (You know, the LCD True-Black thingy) is not dark enuff.

One thing, Sony's "Display Quality" always looks good is b'cos they have the post-process image.
As for me, I think that it is too fake.

Also, I think to get a LCD TV at $3600 before discount is not a good pricing.
It is at the 3rd Tier range which is still very prone to major depreciations.

1st Tier: Around $9999 - $19999
2nd Tier: $5000 - $6000
3rd Tier: $3200 - $3800
4th Tier: $2400 - $2999
5th Tier: $1600 - $2199
6th Tier: $1199 - $1499
Run of the mill: $699 - $999

Basically, Best is buy at around 5th Tier.
A balance between Value vs Technological advancements at consumer levels (at the Point of purchase)

Also, I think to get a LCD TV at $3600 before discount is not a good pricing.
It is at the 3rd Tier range which is still very prone to major depreciations.

1st Tier: Around $9999 - $19999
2nd Tier: $5000 - $6000
3rd Tier: $3200 - $3800
4th Tier: $2400 - $2999
5th Tier: $1600 - $2199
6th Tier: $1199 - $1499
Run of the mill: $699 - $999

Basically, Best is buy at around 5th Tier.
A balance between Value vs Technological advancements at consumer levels (at the Point of purchase)

who came up with the tier thingy? :dunno:

thanks for all the help guys!
maybe will get a sharp 1, since sharp seems to be quite reputable in lcds. see how much they cost :)

You can compare the Sharp A83 series and Sony Bravia X series. They are about the best out there with Sony having a little edge. If you are considering the Sony go to Sony square shop (4 in S'pore) they have very good deals now, better than any shop that you can get.

due to budget contraints, this philips 1 i think is 1 of the better options.
cost after discount is 2600+. maybe getting this 1...
when they put like 5ms or 6ms refresh rate, is that talking about the frames per second?
what is a good rate for sports like soccer?

I was considering a full HD TV just 2 weeks ago as my previous plasma died after 3 years. So I was looking around. Then I realised that I can only get HD images/contents from 3 source, Starhub (3 channels - National geographic/Discovery/Sports), Singtel's MIO TV (6 channels - various), and our own (Blu Ray DVD player (including Sony's Play station 3), HD DVD and game consoles. As such, it does not make sense for me to shell out extra for the full HD feature. I'm sure the price difference between the two resolution can buy a FULL HD TV later. So I bought a HD ready TV instead. Still quite happy with it.

One thing to note. Do compare the difference between LCD and Plasma. It's still a world of difference, mainly in color (fidelity and contrast), viewing angle, fast motion pictures.

Cheers,

Question of LCD vs Plasma is very difficult.
Was previously a plasma advocate since I had one for sometime until I evaluated the better LCD screen and got one recently.
Initially out of box experience was not very good and thought I had better stick to plasma but after fine tuning and adjustments it seems like the LCD can match and give plasma a run for it's money and even surpass it in picture quality.
I was comparing Sony Bravia and Pioneer plasma TV.

once a picture becomes too sharp, it starts to look fake already.

get your tv from mustafa. look for a saleman named Sng who offers good service. He even got contact to buy your old tv. Message me for his nos before you go down.

is it ok to buy from those courts/harvey norman/best denki? or is there better shops around tats good service + reasonable price? btw, wats the average lifespan of a LCD tv? i got a feeling they dun last as long as our old CRTs.

Status
Not open for further replies.