HD Pentax-D FA* 50mm f/1.4 SDM AW lens - Finally it has arrived in Singapore

ranchy

Jan 11, 2010
There's are threads on the lens.. So i won't be touching much on the pictures of the lens, the description of it and the reviews of it.
https://www.clubsnap.com/threads/first-look-of-the-dfa-50-1-4.1725271/
https://www.clubsnap.com/threads/ephotozine-dfa-50-1-4-review-mtf50.1740867/

It will be more on my personal feel of the lens.
Pictures to show what's it come with in the box
1. Lens
2. Lens Hood
3. Pouch

One is to show how it compare to a FA*85. Damn how big it is.
DSC05617_filtered.jpg
DSC05619_filtered.jpg

Took the lens out with the K1 MKII (upgraded) to Garden by the bay yesterday. Hot weather and need a cooling place. That's the best place.

Thoughts of the lens:
It is definitely well built. Pentax * lens. One thing for sure, it is no longer the old Pentax Style where it always produce small lens.
Comparing with the FA*85, it is so much bigger, i cannot imagine how big the future DFA*85 will be.
DFA50 filter size is 72mm while the FA*85 is 67mm.

Performance:
I would say the focus is fast, while i try to switch between from infinity and to minimum focus distance with ease. Focus is faster than the DA50-135 or DA55* if i remember those lenses focusing speed.
Focus is quite accurate base on the time i tested during my time at Garden by the bay. Lens focus is silent due to it is SDM and not screw mount.

Photos of the lens at F1.4. For the Bokeh etc.. i would let the photo speaks for themselves.

Images uploaded in my Flickr is the full size. You may click on the Download tab to select "View all sizes" to look at the full size.

Congrats on getting the lens! :)

The bokeh is impressively smooth over 2 often used conditions (ie. closeups of small subjects and half body shots of people ) :thumbsup
Many people mistake bokeh with just large aperture, while in fact it refers to the quality of the out of focus, and this lens has it in spades.
Its certainly sharp even right off f1.4 off center which is not the case for older 50mm lenses.

Congrats! Finally a lens that is sharp at f1.4 and smooth bokeh to boot.

Congrats on getting the lens! :)

The bokeh is impressively smooth over 2 often used conditions (ie. closeups of small subjects and half body shots of people ) :thumbsup
Many people mistake bokeh with just large aperture, while in fact it refers to the quality of the out of focus, and this lens has it in spades.
Its certainly sharp even right off f1.4 off center which is not the case for older 50mm lenses.

Yup, the sharpness is unbelievable... Pentax has put everything into it.. but the only issue, the size of the lens is the bad point only. :X

Congrats! Finally a lens that is sharp at f1.4 and smooth bokeh to boot.

Yup yup.... really nice lens. :)

Reactions: otc
To showcase the different Aperture and its bokeh..

Few shots to share:

F1.4

F4

F1.8

F4

more samples

F1.4

F2

F4

Okay, will share more next time. Hope my future subjects will be models instead :X

tot APD gotten you to test.Ranchy;)

Great optics by the way. Luvs the sharpness and oof.

otc

tot APD gotten you to test.Ranchy;)

Great optics by the way. Luvs the sharpness and oof.

otc

LOL.. how i wish..... but i have to own to know the lens. :)

Sharing some of my shots during my trip to Malacca with 2 more pentaxians.. This trip , i only brought DFA50 and FA77, but only used the DFA50 only. Borrowed the DA*55 and FA31 to take some shots.

So here will only share the photos with the DFA50.

Wide open:

My observation on the performance of the AF, when the AF hit, it will be sharp and nice. It seem K1 focusing is still not that good.
It tends to somehow mis-focus wide open when i am shooting the subject close to full body, not as good at low light or backlight situation.
Think that's the limitation of our K1. :(

Continue with the photos taken by the lens.

Been awhile i last post with this lens.
Starburst at F2.0.

F2.0

F1.8

F2.5