HD Pentax-D FA 24-70mm F2.8 ED SDM WR Announced

at least good for its price,

instead of too much effort to handle both new cameras and lens,

use Tamron design to reduce entry price, make cheaper 2.8 lens as stand kit lens, more competitive offering than other manufacturers, also remove the need to design another 24-105 like kit lens along with a pro 2.8 expensive lens. (similar like Sony A77 use 16-50 f2.8 as cheap bundle pro kit lens)

so 2 lens job in one lens and better cheaper offering. at least for now before ff launch. then bundle with coming 1st ff, they can play more with price to make whole bundle more attractive/

hopefully, a more pro level 24-70 f2.8 (with Star symbol) offering with 2nd generation pentax ff as premium version in 2 years time after this 2016 ff comes, (as 2016 ff most likely to be a cheaper version ff considering this standard f2.8 zoom to bundle with)

Last edited:
It's not a STAR lens, but the retail price sure looks like a star one, and it looks pretty much the same as the Tamron one...

I guess we won't be lucky enough to have the Tamron copy in PK mount anymore :(

i am just suprised that they are using SDM instead of the newer DC technology...

SDM is just an acronym. It means nothing. Ricoh can apply this label to any motor tech.

Looks like they are looking to offer a full set of FF zooms with the coming of the FF
Namely 15-30, 24-70, 70-200, 150-450mm.
That's not bad at all and no complaints that 'Pentax don't have a comprehensive range' for the new FF.

I think it makes sense with this Tamron partnering for some of the lenses.
It closes the lens gaps fast without overwhelming resources developing every option.
Even better that the price it is closer to the Tamron version too instead of a very marked up one.

SDM is just an acronym. It means nothing. Ricoh can apply this label to any motor tech.

ok..thanks

Last edited:
On a side note, perhaps the partnering with Tamron would bode well since Jun Hirakawa Tamagotchi is with them right?

Disclaimer: The Tamagotchi was added in for fun. LoL!

On a side note, perhaps the partnering with Tamron would bode well since Jun Hirakawa Tamagotchi is with them right?

Disclaimer: The Tamagotchi was added in for fun. LoL!

Hope he can create more pixiedust loaded lens like the FA43 + FA77

Economically its a very good move without imparting high R&D cost just to recreate a lens which is widely available and share production line with Tamron, and greatest thing with Pentax is still the interexchangeable lens between APS-C and FF body!

Last edited:
Nice to see another lens updated for the upcoming FF...

Can't wait for the FF body to be out!

It's not a STAR lens, but the retail price sure looks like a star one, and it looks pretty much the same as the Tamron one...

I guess we won't be lucky enough to have the Tamron copy in PK mount anymore :(

Does that mean there will be an equivalent focal length zoom with a STAR designation coming too?

Glad that Pentax didn't price this lens similar to C/N range though the optic arguably close to N brand and not very far from C (if it really a rebadge of Tamron).
I hope the upcoming FF will price below 2.5k SGD..