HCM

sachokphantom

Mar 26, 2010
singapore
Sorry for repeating thread again. I have searched from wikitravel and some other site as well as in this forum. I seems to read up that transport is a diff there? I be going there on this CNY with my wife and she broke the news to me when I had make airplane booking that she is 4 months pregnant.

Usually I prefer to walk but then now, wife is carrying my first child in her so as not to tired he out.

Do you have any driver that I can charter for the whole week? And the hotel, I also read up that even the mid range is also not safe? be it the location or the hotel itself. Is it true? Any recommendation for hotel? Budget would be S$80 per night.

Thanks a lot

Just went last year June period and stayed in Continental Saigon Welcome to Hotel Continental Saigon - Vietnam
It is a historical building and exists since 100years ago. My feedback on this hotel is room was indeed very big and I do really mean it. It has the traditional colonial style which I really like and the restaurant where breakfast was served was also very nice. It's in the central of all the shopping malls and walking distance to a few sightseeing point e.g. Notre Dame Cathedral, Municipal theatre. In my opinion, it's safe and value for $$.

For traveling around, it's not really that difficult, you can get a cab easily in the city and they charge by meter (Price is reasonable and I considered it cheap). Always insist they use meter else just get another cab. You can get the local land tour easily by just signing up for a day tour, the authorised Saigon tour agency is just beside Continental Saigon Hotel. The tour guide will pick u up at the hotel and end of tour, drop u off at your hotel.

As for safety wise, it's quite safe but the usual advice would be to avoid dark isolated lanes, overly crowded places and when local starts to approach u on the road and starts asking where u come from, where u r going etc. ignore them and walk away.

Thank you so much.. I thought no one will reply.. thanks again.

Just went last year June period and stayed in Continental Saigon Welcome to Hotel Continental Saigon - Vietnam
It is a historical building and exists since 100years ago. My feedback on this hotel is room was indeed very big and I do really mean it. It has the traditional colonial style which I really like and the restaurant where breakfast was served was also very nice. It's in the central of all the shopping malls and walking distance to a few sightseeing point e.g. Notre Dame Cathedral, Municipal theatre. In my opinion, it's safe and value for $$.

For traveling around, it's not really that difficult, you can get a cab easily in the city and they charge by meter (Price is reasonable and I considered it cheap). Always insist they use meter else just get another cab. You can get the local land tour easily by just signing up for a day tour, the authorised Saigon tour agency is just beside Continental Saigon Hotel. The tour guide will pick u up at the hotel and end of tour, drop u off at your hotel.

As for safety wise, it's quite safe but the usual advice would be to avoid dark isolated lanes, overly crowded places and when local starts to approach u on the road and starts asking where u come from, where u r going etc. ignore them and walk away.

I been to HCMC 6 months ago, my advises:
1. Get your cab from the ticketing counter at the airport, they charge fixed rate and you have to pay first to get your cab ticket. Do not attempt to flag down a cab in the airport.
2. For traveling around HCMC, always take reputable cabs (Mai Linh). They are pretty easy to spot... Bright green in color. Ask the hotel staff to flag a cab for you and explicitly request for Mai Linh cabs.
3. Change VND at the airport. Hotels have pretty bad rates. Don't have to bring USD as SGD is accepted... The rate was S$1 to 16k Dong when I went Hanoi last week.

I stayed at a 3-star hotel Que Hong Liberty 4 hotel for U$60 per night. Pretty good hotel and it is located very near to Ben Thanm Market.

Hi. Noted. Thanks a lot for your help. How long were you there?

1. Get your cab from the ticketing counter at the airport, they charge fixed rate and you have to pay first to get your cab ticket. Do not attempt to flag down a cab in the airport.
2. For traveling around HCMC, always take reputable cabs (Mai Linh). They are pretty easy to spot... Bright green in color. Ask the hotel staff to flag a cab for you and explicitly request for Mai Linh cabs.
3. Change VND at the airport. Hotels have pretty bad rates. Don't have to bring USD as SGD is accepted... The rate was S$1 to 16k Dong when I went Hanoi last week.

I stayed at a 3-star hotel Que Hong Liberty 4 hotel for U$60 per night. Pretty good hotel and it is located very near to Ben Thanm Market.

Hmmm... I have to disagree with 1.

The ticketing counter at HCMC Airport is more expensive. Go to the right side of the airport pick-up area, you will see a line of taxis at a taxi queue, ask specifically for Mai Linh & Vinasun, then you are fine.

For the case of Hanoi Airport... more gangsterish over there. I attempted to get a free cab at the taxi queue but was forced to pay 350,000 VND for a trip to hanoi city central because the first cabby who offer me 200,000 got hantam by the airport staff right infront of us. Maybe he was a scammer but I rather believe he was punished by them for cutting prices.

Change money at gold shops... just ask around till you are satisfied with the rate. Goldsmiths can speak good english. The 2 goldsmiths near to Pho 2000 (the one that e us president ate at) left-side of ben thanh market has the best rates usually.

Hi. I'll take note of the taxi as well maybe i try to ask both.

Hmmm... I have to disagree with 1.

The ticketing counter at HCMC Airport is more expensive. Go to the right side of the airport pick-up area, you will see a line of taxis at a taxi queue, ask specifically for Mai Linh & Vinasun, then you are fine.

For the case of Hanoi Airport... more gangsterish over there. I attempted to get a free cab at the taxi queue but was forced to pay 350,000 VND for a trip to hanoi city central because the first cabby who offer me 200,000 got hantam by the airport staff right infront of us. Maybe he was a scammer but I rather believe he was punished by them for cutting prices.

Change money at gold shops... just ask around till you are satisfied with the rate. Goldsmiths can speak good english. The 2 goldsmiths near to Pho 2000 (the one that e us president ate at) left-side of ben thanh market has the best rates usually.

I still prefer to get cab tickets from the airport counter though... The price is not too far off compare to those in a queue.

At least one does not need to worry about overcharging or the driver took a longer route.

Try Rex hotel, very centralized and safe. They have all the international brands boutique in the hotel. Had a great stay there last month.

Do take note that during CNY lots of shops will be closed as VN also celebrates CNY which is called Tet

sachokphantom said:
Thanks a lot.. :)

I have checked, my fren told me most shops will be closed but if u stick with tourist areas near pham ngu lau and ben thanh market, the shops there shld open. Another warning is be very careful with yr camera, bags and wallets, lots of petty and snatch thieves around nowadays

Noted with thanks Sir

I have checked, my fren told me most shops will be closed but if u stick with tourist areas near pham ngu lau and ben thanh market, the shops there shld open. Another warning is be very careful with yr camera, bags and wallets, lots of petty and snatch thieves around nowadays

So which hotel TS stay? Must be very careful in HCMC, I got a guest kana rob last few weeks over there while crossing the road. Most importantly, you need to buy travel insurance so can claim. Haha.

So which hotel TS stay? Must be very careful in HCMC, I got a guest kana rob last few weeks over there while crossing the road. Most importantly, you need to buy travel insurance so can claim. Haha.

Really?? I didn't know can claim. I stay in pink saigon