Haywire system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
Planet Nikon
Tried booting up this system just now, DVDRW light is on, so is HDD, but funny thing is there's no disc inside the DVD RW drive, then found that it won't boot. HDD light is on, drive light is on, but no activity.

After pulling, pushing, changing of CPU finally managec to hear the system boot up. Hang, cannot boot again... pull, plug in/out the HDD/CD/DVD drives.

Finally managed to boot into windows. Whilst backing up my data and typing this post the system went black screen again, the same DVD/HD lights came on and my LCD signal light went blinking.

After trying to reboot and powering on the system again. Finally managed to come in, this is by far the longest time I've stayed logged into my windows. Currently backing up all my stuff to an external drive.

Anybody has any idea what's wrong with my sys? PSU? Motherboard? HDD? HDD cables?

:( Called up two friends in a desperate need to loan their spare systems. Sigh.

espn said:
Tried booting up this system just now, DVDRW light is on, so is HDD, but funny thing is there's no disc inside the DVD RW drive, then found that it won't boot. HDD light is on, drive light is on, but no activity.

After pulling, pushing, changing of CPU finally managec to hear the system boot up. Hang, cannot boot again... pull, plug in/out the HDD/CD/DVD drives.

Finally managed to boot into windows. Whilst backing up my data and typing this post the system went black screen again, the same DVD/HD lights came on and my LCD signal light went blinking.

After trying to reboot and powering on the system again. Finally managed to come in, this is by far the longest time I've stayed logged into my windows. Currently backing up all my stuff to an external drive.

Anybody has any idea what's wrong with my sys? PSU? Motherboard? HDD? HDD cables?

:( Called up two friends in a desperate need to loan their spare systems. Sigh.

check your connections in the CPU? i had some problems over the last 2 days, i on the CPU the processor runs, nothing on screen but monitor is on, no activity whatsoever, had to boot a few times. end up it was the graphics card that got loose. remove and put back properly, everything ok again.

Yup, I even changed to a spare slower processor to ensure it's not the processor's that's dead.

I'm frankly very worried because of the events I'm covering and most of my images are on the HDD. Now backing up to HDD bring to office tomorrow copy into office HDD.

I also backed up luckily to DVD R earlier. :( but my system now very scared anytime can die. :(

u had the same probs i had when i was using the thunderbird 1ghz... tats why i changed mobo liao...

check for the capacitors.. see any burnt ?

HDD failure / Ram failure...

but like me.. all my capacitors all burnt before the "Great Fire" happened to the mobo...

and it realli caught fire FYI....

Have you tried cleaning up the contact points of the RAM ?

lui002 said:

shouldnt be rams since they are nt exposed entirely in the air... heh...

but since the system can boot up means the rams is no prob..

Check anything was log using the Event Viewer.

Did you hear a beep or a continuois beep or even nothing at last when you first switch on the pc?
Mine happened once when there is no beep. It didn't even boot up to the bios.
Found out that motherboard is done for.
Change the CMOS batteries and clear the CMOS also no go.
Dang! :angry:

refer to the mobo manual .. different no. of beeps represent the type of problem and u start trouble shooting from there ..

How can u just change a cpu like tat? no problem meh ?
I thought usually xp will locked up your system if u don some dangerous stunt ..

glennyong said:
u had the same probs i had when i was using the thunderbird 1ghz... tats why i changed mobo liao...

check for the capacitors.. see any burnt ?

HDD failure / Ram failure...

but like me.. all my capacitors all burnt before the "Great Fire" happened to the mobo...

and it realli caught fire FYI....

The mobo I'm using is the old A7V KT133a I never had issues with it. You're right, I'll go back and check the capacitors tonight to see if any's goner.

HDD failure might be possible, I touched the HDD when the system managed to go live, like not moving... RAM failure quite unlikely, the system will make noise if any one of my 3 RAMs are faulty. It should still boot. Right now it doesn't boot :dunno:

lui002 said:
glennyong said:
shouldnt be rams since they are nt exposed entirely in the air... heh...

but since the system can boot up means the rams is no prob..
And if RAM has problems it would beep continously signalling bad RAM too.

PhotoDog said:
Check anything was log using the Event Viewer.
Ah yes!! Good idea!

ext3eleven said:
Did you hear a beep or a continuois beep or even nothing at last when you first switch on the pc?
Mine happened once when there is no beep. It didn't even boot up to the bios.
Found out that motherboard is done for.
Change the CMOS batteries and clear the CMOS also no go.
Dang! :angry:
Nope, no beeps nothing. Like you, can't boot to Bios even with all devices unplugged. Thought of changing the CMOS battery too. And then after a while managed to boot up to bios, detected my Duron and ThunderBird. I'm not afraid if motherboard is gone as my plan was to replace it this month, but if the PSU and/or HDD... then I really :mad2:

I'm even thinking of doing 200GB x 2 for RAID 1 now.

simon80 said:
refer to the mobo manual .. different no. of beeps represent the type of problem and u start trouble shooting from there ..

How can u just change a cpu like tat? no problem meh ?
I thought usually xp will locked up your system if u don some dangerous stunt ..
Nope.. no beeps that's the problem... power went on, the HDD light is continous lit, there's no DVD/CD inside my DVD RW drive but the drive light is lit too. No sounds nothing, LCD power light is flashing and no signal found.

That's why I use Win2K instead of WinXP, I tend to change parts as and when I need. Heehhehehehe...

I also tried my RAID controllers onboard the A7V. But to no avail.

Big Kahuna said:
Power supply no more oomph? :think:
I suspect too, that is also possible. Sigh.

Called up two friends, one can loan me a P4 board + RAM + 20GB HDD, another friend can loan me a P4 entire system for the time being. It's times like these you really know what kind of friends you have. :thumbsup:

Right now I'm concerned about my entire data on the HDD. Luckily I have the event's images on 2 DVDs and my X-DriveII and the remaining still in my CF cards. Phew!

i'm not sure if u r having the same problem as me.

1) power on, hdd lights on, dvdrw lights blinking
2) no video signals on the monitor
3) power off pc, repeat step 1) until it boots again.
4) once inside windows, everything works fine...

*it takes anything from 1 to 10 attempts to power up the pc.

this has been going on for months... :s now i'm wondering, wht should i change. doesnt seem to be hdd, doesnt seem to be ram. i suspect mobo tho...

Hi w.s,

Yeah

1) HDD activity light on, DVD RW drive light on though no disc inside, cannot eject the drives using the button.
2) LCD power flashing meaning no signal
3) power off, power on, power off, power on, trying to get into windows
4) Once up, it resets my bios to run 7.5 x 100, instead of 7.5 x 133
5) Once in got chance will happen again (like yesterday, only 2nd attempt get in then work fine)

I gave up guessing already, will be passing the mobo to my friend for diagnosis before I sell/throw it away.

Just bought a new A64 and RAM just now :( ^$^

I haven't installed it, I'm still in office...

espn said:
Just bought a new A64 and RAM just now :( ^$^

I would suspect your PSU giving bye bye hints to you. Btw, good choice of A64. May I ask what is your PSU rating? If you stay put with your old PSU that powering your old A7V + Thunderbird, it definitely not enough power for your new Athlon 64 system.

Furthermore since you have DVDRW, 1GB RAMs, 3000+ processor, 2x 200GB HDD... Please go for at least 480W TruePower PSU.

Do a quick calculation here... http://www.adecy.com/psu/

Hope this helps. :)

i'm hoping it will last till the end of the year b4 i upgrade. so for the moment, it's on, off, on, off, curse and swear, on, off, curse and swear, on, off curse and swear, on, off curse and swear, on, off, on...

do post ur findings if u find out wht's the cause k?:)

ST_sg said:
I would suspect your PSU giving bye bye hints to you. Btw, good choice of A64. May I ask what is your PSU rating? If you stay put with your old PSU that powering your old A7V + Thunderbird, it definitely not enough power for your new Athlon 64 system.

Furthermore since you have DVDRW, 1GB RAMs, 3000+ processor, 2x 200GB HDD... Please go for at least 480W TruePower PSU.

Do a quick calculation here... http://www.adecy.com/psu/

Hope this helps. :)
My current PSU rating is 400W, I suspect it's either the motherboard or the PSU, anyway, I've already bought an Aopen 350W PSU. I don't think it's insufficient for my current rig, so will see how, I know one cannot scrimp on PSU quailty.

Yep, it's a good choice alright for selecting A64, I've been a hardcore AMD supporter since like 1996, haven't looked back.

And best, purchase of a AMD 64 or Sempron processor allows you to redeem two free Star Wars III tickets. :bsmilie: I'm going to watch soon :vhappy:

w.s said:
i'm hoping it will last till the end of the year b4 i upgrade. so for the moment, it's on, off, on, off, curse and swear, on, off, curse and swear, on, off curse and swear, on, off curse and swear, on, off, on...

do post ur findings if u find out wht's the cause k?:)
I wish I know, will be passing it to my friend to check it out, if I have time I don't mind doing it myself, but guess too bad. I took the easy way out to get a new system.

Status
Not open for further replies.