Hawker fare not as tasty anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malakite

Jul 3, 2004
Singapore
Hey all, what with all the threads on KFC and everything, it kinda got me thinkin, actually our hawker food standard seems to be droppin too, do you guys feel that way as well?

Well take for example, Char kway tiao, i love the dish and lately... it seems like everytime i eat it, the smell is the same but the taste.... it's like hollow, empty, not as full bodied as b4. Is it just me or do you feel the same?

And chicken rice, it's like a staple food man, when ever i travel for long periods of time i start craving that, simple enuf dish rite? chicken + rice + chili. But den again, i've had really bad chicken rice and even worst ones as well. Seems like to have really good chicken rice i gotta go hunt down them famous brand names you know?

I dunno man... I think it's the advent of food courts and the eat healthy campaign, that is really killing my favourtite hawker foods.

One other thing, don't u guys find that even Macdonald's standard has dropped? Maybe it's becoz i was younger and all, but MAN the big mac ain't that big no more, plus I really really don't remember it as being so dry, and the meat patty being so thin :cry:

Where have all the good food gone??? :cry:

Agree with you bro. The Char Kway Teow last time used to be fried in lard so it's more tasty. Now, I hardly eat Char Kway Teow also. For nice chicken rice, you can try Sin Kee at Mei Ling Hawker Centre. Not too bad I would say.

Not sure if you realised that the portion on our fast food outlet seems to have shrunk quite a fair bit. :thumbsd:

Hey all, what with all the threads on KFC and everything, it kinda got me thinkin, actually our hawker food standard seems to be droppin too, do you guys feel that way as well?

Well take for example, Char kway tiao, i love the dish and lately... it seems like everytime i eat it, the smell is the same but the taste.... it's like hollow, empty, not as full bodied as b4. Is it just me or do you feel the same?

And chicken rice, it's like a staple food man, when ever i travel for long periods of time i start craving that, simple enuf dish rite? chicken + rice + chili. But den again, i've had really bad chicken rice and even worst ones as well. Seems like to have really good chicken rice i gotta go hunt down them famous brand names you know?

I dunno man... I think it's the advent of food courts and the eat healthy campaign, that is really killing my favourtite hawker foods.

One other thing, don't u guys find that even Macdonald's standard has dropped? Maybe it's becoz i was younger and all, but MAN the big mac ain't that big no more, plus I really really don't remember it as being so dry, and the meat patty being so thin :cry:

Where have all the good food gone??? :cry:
IMO, there is probably one possible reason ..... that when you age, your taste buds change its flavour.... what taste nice in the past may not taste nice now, also the numerous varieties of food available is so much more .... before we dont have so much exotic foods in our diet, and we didnt appreciate wine, etc.... and now we have all these, and probably subconsciously, we become our own food critics .... :think:
Like, if you have tasted $100 burger regularly, then probably a $3 burger is definately a no no!

could it be some using lesser quality ingredients to increase their margin, due to most thing's price has been increased. :sweat:

food you tasted at your youth is always nicer.

I always miss the 30 cents Char Kway Teow at my sec school tuckshop in the 70's, the ah peck fry the kway teow on the spot for you.

Ok lar, they using less pork lard nowadays. Our ministers had advised hawker to use more healthy

ingredients.

singaporeans can now live longer to meet the CPF withdrawal age :)

still got cpf withdrawal age?

Ok lar, they using less pork lard nowadays. Our ministers had advised hawker to use more healthy

ingredients.

singaporeans can now live longer to meet the CPF withdrawal age :)

Cause nowadays, the cooks are not local mostly and so, the taste are gone too. They stall mostly own by BIG company and they hire foreign workers to do the job. Good food days are gone, eat whatever you can now else it might gone too. :think:

Hard to find unique tastes in those air-con koptiam casue most of them are franchised. The stalls within are also franchised and hence are meant to feed people, rather than satisfy tastes. (Of course there might be exceptions but I generally find the food tasting rather flat with varying degrees of standards.) Stick to non-air con food centres and coffeeshops that are run by the owners themselves, you will find unique tastes in the same dishes. (Of course nowadays the younger generation also don't want to take over the business so the olden days are dying out.)

Cos of high GST, hawkers have to cut back on ingredients to sell us at same price.
Therefore they cut back on MSG, so less tasty.
But soon they will learn to cut back on MSG and increase price.
Fast foods are one step ahead of hawkers.

We are more travel savvy last few years, eating good food from Japan, Europe, etc.
Our tastes may have become more demanding.

chomp chomp the right hand corner first stall char kueh is a bit similar to those olden days style.. pretty good..

their hokkien mee also. then the market there got good char kuey tiao i think

Given a choice, I will always choose hawker center, best is those not renovated, with the old uncles and aunties. Food is cheap and taste good.

I hate food courts and those nicely renovated coffee shops. Most of the food is expensive, portion is small and don't taste good at all.

Given a choice, I will always choose hawker center, best is those not renovated, with the old uncles and aunties. Food is cheap and taste good.

I hate food courts and those nicely renovated coffee shops. Most of the food is expensive, portion is small and don't taste good at all.

I hate renovation! ;(

Status
Not open for further replies.