Hawaii

Status
Not open for further replies.

viceroy666

Jul 22, 2004
Will be making a trip to Honolulu and Maui. May do some island hopping if the suggestions are good. Anywhere to take beautiful scenery? Or maybe some volcanoes :)

Wizard Publications makes the best travel guides for Hawaii.

In Maui you have Haleakala which is beautiful for sunrises or sunsets. The road is paved.

If you want to see lava, you would have to go to the Big Island where Volcanoes National Park is located. Also on the Big Island is Mauna Kea where you can also see sunsets and sunrises. Need a 4WD to get to the top.

For Maui.....driving is a must if you want total freedom, there is only one community bus service and is heavily subsidized...$1~$2 that going north or south of the island...Taxi will be expensive....

lodging wise it will be convenient to stay within the Town area which is Lahaina...there are restaurants and even a supermarket(have nice fresh and cooked food) that you can buy for your daily need...you can also catch a performance show call Ulalena (need advance booking)...similar to those Saltibango kind of acrobatic show with Hawaiian mythology as story line....but if you are after beach front...your best bet will be Kaannapali or Wailea..check the below map....

1mauimap.jpg

I stayed in Lahaina Shore hotel and here is the view of my room
48.jpg

Activities wise....I recommend down hill Mountain biking trip at Haleakala National Park http://www.nps.gov/hale/ ... you can catch the sunrise at the world tallest dormant volcano crater and then paddling all the way down like this http://www.maui-vacation.net/bikethevolcano.html
94.jpg

And do this
99.jpg

I also recommend the snorkeling trip to Molokini Crater....but you need to be early as afternoon when the sea is choppy....they captain will divert to another spot which is not so interesting(happened to me)
59.jpg

Last edited:
Spend the least amount of time in Honolulu, Maui is way way better. Road to Hana is highly recommended especially if you start early. some of those waterfalls very close to Hana are very photogenic.

Haleakala sunrise is an experience, its almost like paparazzi waiting for madonna.

do rent a car, the drive, especially through the winding less frequented roads are quite nice.

Spend the least amount of time in Honolulu, Maui is way way better. Road to Hana is highly recommended especially if you start early. some of those waterfalls very close to Hana are very photogenic.

Haleakala sunrise is an experience, its almost like paparazzi waiting for madonna.

do rent a car, the drive, especially through the winding less frequented roads are quite nice.

My better half wants to stay a few days in Honolulu for her shopping. Anything to see in Honolulu other than shopping centres? But at least I will be spending a few in Maui and prob staying in Ka'anapali area. My US colleague will be renting a car so maybe will see some nice sites. But I will definitely try not to miss the Volcanoe park.

Honolulu itself has plenty to offer, you can go for grand island tour....to see Pali Lookout, Diamond Head, Gilligan Island, Chinaman hut, North Shore, Hanauma Bay, Dole plantation, Peal Harbour etc etc :lovegrin:

The only thing about the North Shore is that you'll see all of the super duper Big Mamas that will be coming out for surfing shooters. Standard is a 1D MkII or MkIII with a EF 600 f/4L IS USM with a 1.4x TC.

i hv some questions which i hope some kind souls can help me out.

1.) Snokeling at the crater, is the water cold? Has anyone dived in Maui before? I am contemplating of bringing my dive gear but then again .... it's too bulky and moreover hubby doesn't dive so we've compromise that he'll snokel and i will do 1 dive. :cry:
2.) Is the moon big? I would like the take moon reflections on the water/sea.
3.) Is there any boat services to the nearby islands like Kauai? Hawaiian Airlines is very expensive for 1 way. LOL ...
4.) I hope the service standard is better than what I received in Reno. I was bullied by a Mexican working in Starbucks. :sticktong

I just visited Honolulu and Big Island in May, but i'm a student, so i was on a tight budget and did more hiking and snorkeling.

The water wasn't that cold in May, but at this time, it should be pretty cold!

you might want to try koko head in Honolulu, it's a fantastic climb and has great scenery at the top!

I think they stopped the ferry services, so we had to take hawaiian airlines.

i hoped i helped a lil.

Check out the Beat of Hawaii blog. The authors will give you a heads up on airfare sales.

They were quoting inter-island fares as low as $58.

My better half wants to stay a few days in Honolulu for her shopping. Anything to see in Honolulu other than shopping centres? But at least I will be spending a few in Maui and prob staying in Ka'anapali area. My US colleague will be renting a car so maybe will see some nice sites. But I will definitely try not to miss the Volcanoe park.

Not much to buy in Honolulu...I was there for 2 weeks..Try to watch the sunrise @ waikiki beach and sunset from Ala Moana park beach there are quite nice... maybe able to get rainbows easily if it rains...

Self drive is a must on Big Island, quite easy to get around.. the waterfalls are quite nice as well although be prepared for a 30 min walk to each of the waterfalls..

1.) Snokeling at the crater, is the water cold? Has anyone dived in Maui before? I am contemplating of bringing my dive gear but then again .... it's too bulky and moreover hubby doesn't dive so we've compromise that he'll snokel and i will do 1 dive. :cry:
3.) Is there any boat services to the nearby islands like Kauai? Hawaiian Airlines is very expensive for 1 way. LOL ...
4.) I hope the service standard is better than what I received in Reno. I was bullied by a Mexican working in Starbucks. :sticktong

Did some dives on the Big Island. The only "worthwhile" dive we experienced, was the Night Manta Ray Dive. We lugged our masks/snorkel and regulators. Masks and snorkel are also good if you just want to do some beach side snorkling (which we also did). Really missed our own fins, as the ones we used, they were really lacking in comfort.

from what i can recollect, water is not cold at all. especially in summer. during the winter months it was colder during early am and late pm.
2. moon is the same :what: unless i missed this q completely.
3. there was a ferrry service between islands, but i believe its been shut down. so your only alternative is the "cheap" hawaiian airlines flights.
4. hawaii has a lot of asians, especially from philippines and a good chunk of tourists are from japan so service will be excellent. lots more new immigrants from south east asia as well, they all know singapore well.

Status
Not open for further replies.