hawaii free and easy

Status
Not open for further replies.

laugh

Jun 2, 2003
Visit site
Hi guys,

im looking to plan a getaway to hawaii, free and easy.
Anyone here has experience to share? Like which island is the best, accomodation etc.

TIA

i was at hawaii with my wife for 2 weeks free n easy in Nov.

i booked a package from chan bros that got me on Northwest flight to Narita then onward to tokyo.

the package have 5N accomodation at waikiki and i extended my stay till a week there then took a flight to Maui and spent one week there.

things can be expensive at hawaii... make sure you budget well.

www.gohawaii.com is a good website to start.

A few main islands....

O'ahu: waikiki, honolulu, pearl harbour....generally more touristy and lots of japanese. take the bus there. no point renting car

Maui: great for outdoors, easy to get around if you rent a car, sunrise at haleakala crater is sublime!

Big Island: Volcanoes!

Kaua'i: if you rank peace and quiet above all

PM me if you need more info.

Me just came back from there last mth :)

For a start, Oahu is the most convenient and try to stay within Waikiki Beach area....this is the most happening place :)

As for hotel, I usually stay at www.ohanahotels.com chain, they are quite reasonably priced :)

How many days will you be there?

thanks for the info guys.

probably about 8-10 days? not enough leave... :)

is it easy to travel around yourself as I heard there isnt public transport?

at o'ahu, the public bus is great. on the other islands, rent a car is the best way.

if you got 8 - 10 days, remember that the flight to narita is 7 hrs, transit is 7hrs, narita to honolulu is 7 hrs. total is 21 hrs via northwest. To/fro is 42 hours which is abt 2 days leaving you only 6-8 days there.

if you fly china airlines, cheaper but i think transit is 1 day in taipei!

if you fly the other japanese airlines like ANA or JAL, it's quite expensive.

If you fly Northwest, remember to apply for WorldPerks frequent flyer program...this is the best program to gain free travel next time....

Back to the Hawaii....In Oahu, bus is no problem, it's $2 per trip and can ask for transfer if require to change bus...Also since you are on free and easy, you may consider taking those airport shuttle to Waikiki area....it cost about $14 round trip...it's comfortable and efficient :thumbsup:

With so many days, you may consider venture to the other island....or take day tour...Such as Deluxe island tour etc....Can also spend a day or two on outlet shopping or visiting Ala Mona....

Actually a copy of travel guide either from National Library or purchase one will be useful...I recommend DK's as I find it has the best quality....Ok...something for you to warm up your trip :lovegrin:

dsc0511a5hv.jpg

dsc0762a8ez.jpg

dsc0478a0ls.jpg

hey, thanks for the info again.
Nice pics... really whet my appetite man...

i will go borrow some books to read up.. and then start saving money.. :D

any attractions that is especially worth mentioning?

laugh said:
hey, thanks for the info again.
Nice pics... really whet my appetite man...

i will go borrow some books to read up.. and then start saving money.. :D

any attractions that is especially worth mentioning?

If you join the grand island tour...it's pretty std...they will bring you to almost all the scenic places on the island such as blow hole, china man's hut, pali lookout, waimea fall, polynesian central, hanauma bay, dole plantation etc etc... :thumbsup:

Of coz there are other worthy place such as Pearl Harbour, Downtown Honolulu, museum and palaces etc :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.