having seperate brand, or the same brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Extreme OT spotted... :think::sweatsm:

I vouch for same brand cuz I used to own Canon and Nikon now only NIkon as I find it troublesome to bring 2 sets of charger or flash for both when travelling.

Why I use two initially cuz I like Nikon for 24-70 and Canon for 70-200 and 100-400. But this setup is heavy:sweat:. Now I travel lighter with one system setup. :thumbsup:

Same brand, shared resources.

My wife and I are using the same brand of cameras. We were already using the same brands
before we met. We both have our own camera bodies, main lenses and individual flash units, but we share other lenses, batteries and other stuff as well.

thanks all for the quick reply, i guess it really is an advantage to get the same system, probably with the savings we could consider getting better lenses and additional batteries :D

hahaha not so soon.. lah.. wont be spending that much on a lense yet.. still pretty much a noobie, just looking to restart a hobby that was long forgotten.

i am looking to get a dslr, so does my wife, the thing is she likes the canon 500D and me i prefer the nikon D300, so i am now wondering should i follow her choice and get the Canon 50D instead, both of us do not have any previous lenses as we are starting from scratch. also which dry cabinet should we get for both cameras and a few lenses, would a 60l be enough. thanks

To me I would stick to one brand of camera, and from there you can expand the lens collection also when you are shooting outdoor, if one camera fails, you still have the other one to use, and you do not need to learn all the setting again, because each brand of camera have different characteristic.

My wife and I both use the same brand. Coz the lens, flash and other stuffs is interchangeable and added more fun into photography! :D

like for me and my wife we have 2 lens each.
so if I'm using my UWA, she can choose to use my fast zoom or use her own lens.

If I'm using my fast zoom, she can use my UWA or her own lens.

At nite I will use her main lens(cause got VR) with my flash to take nite portraits and she can use either my fast zoom or UWA as she does not like to use flash.

versatile is the key word for me.

I think I'm done with the BBB virus.;)

Last edited:
i beg to differ.......... get the system that pleases each of you.....

in theory it sounds lovey dovey sharing lenses..... in reality, both of you could well like some similar focal lengths or zoom ranges..... and knowing women..... you'll need to give in each and every time ha ha ha !!! :bsmilie:

....and debating the merits of USM vs VR the whole night long......... :heart:

....budgets permitting.... that is...

Last edited:
Hmmm. You asked this question bec you were unsure whether your decision is logical. While you probably knows that getting the same brand pools resources (flash inc) but your heart still yearns at Nikon. You obviously have higher product expectation than your wife since you have spoken of D300 and 50D.

Discuss this with your wife, if both truely have not issue with diff brand and extra future cost, then its fine. Having different brand reduces monotonous. Look a little further... will both of you have consistent deep interest in photography in longer time. For some will suffice with 1-2 lens and even if you buy higher better lens, they won't use it. Maybe you will be the one who may loose interest due to work.

i am looking to get a dslr, so does my wife, the thing is she likes the canon 500D and me i prefer the nikon D300, so i am now wondering should i follow her choice and get the Canon 50D instead, both of us do not have any previous lenses as we are starting from scratch. also which dry cabinet should we get for both cameras and a few lenses, would a 60l be enough. thanks

Last edited:
It makes more economical sense to get the same system, can share lenses and all, plus lovey dovey factor:D haha, but hey, if other systems floats your boat, then by all means.

Oh get a 80L straight, then u wont have to keep upgrading your dry cabinet when you buy new lenses. Its better to have your gear nice spaced out, rather than cramped up and overwork the humidifier. I did that the last time for my 30L, stuffed like 10 lenses, 1 tlr, 2 slr, 1 flash and a dslr body. Nightmare. My dry cabinet cannot go below 45% rh now. hovers between 45-50 rh.

Hmmm. You asked this question bec you were unsure whether your decision is logical. While you probably knows that getting the same brand pools resources (flash inc) but your heart still yearns at Nikon. You obviously have higher product expectation than your wife since you have spoken of D300 and 50D.

Discuss this with your wife, if both truely have not issue with diff brand and extra future cost, then its fine. Having different brand reduces monotonous. Look a little further... will both of you have consistent deep interest in photography in longer time. For some will suffice with 1-2 lens and even if you buy higher better lens, they won't use it. Maybe you will be the one who may loose interest due to work.

Thanks for the great advice, it is true, maybe i should think carefully about the brands and consider the interest. I really will consider the choices carefully. thanks.

It makes more economical sense to get the same system, can share lenses and all, plus lovey dovey factor:D haha, but hey, if other systems floats your boat, then by all means.

Oh get a 80L straight, then u wont have to keep upgrading your dry cabinet when you buy new lenses. Its better to have your gear nice spaced out, rather than cramped up and overwork the humidifier. I did that the last time for my 30L, stuffed like 10 lenses, 1 tlr, 2 slr, 1 flash and a dslr body. Nightmare. My dry cabinet cannot go below 45% rh now. hovers between 45-50 rh.

thanks for the advice about the dry cabinet. i did not know that overloading the cabinet will be bad.. guess will get a 70l first.. cause of budget.

No reason to not share brands.

Think about it as bonding. When you get good with your camera, you can teach her since it's the same system and that means more quality time together.

When you've got the cash to upgrade, go out together to purchase new lens/gear people will say "Wahh... this couple :thumbsup:".

After a while, you will realize that brands don't really matter that much.

Last edited:
hello all thanks for the responses, decided to go the same brand.. so i will be getting the 50D and my wife the 500D, now actually asking the canon thread about what lens to get.. all the advices is greatly appreciated. hopefully this will be a good start for a old hobby that i really really enjoy.

hello all thanks for the responses, decided to go the same brand.. so i will be getting the 50D and my wife the 500D, now actually asking the canon thread about what lens to get.. all the advices is greatly appreciated. hopefully this will be a good start for a old hobby that i really really enjoy.

Ya i think that's the wise choice :)
Can save some money by buying 40D + 450D (2nd hand), but that's entirely up to you both.
Not sure if both your shortlisted cameras share common batteries, chargers, etc.

For my case, my dad and me on N D90 and D80 respectively. I have 2 batts, and he has 1. So the spare batt can be used for either camera whilst on holiday. Not to mention only need 1 charger for both. This is the convenience factor of having same brand.

I also save more weight by carrying 1 tripod and 2 QR plates.

Hopefully you 2 don't have to fight over the same lens. I have witnessed that before. :sweat:

If you are going to work together the same brand is better:dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.