Having "problems" with AF.C? Here's an interesting read

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnaxe

Oct 5, 2006
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1021&thread=27822121&page=1

Can the D3 AF track a child?

Today I was mostly using my Nikkon 70-200 2.8vr lens, variously with the focal length switch on the side set to full and 2.5ft to infinity, also tried with VR of, tried the other day using my 24-120vr, tried using my 50mm 1.8 but I'm just not getting the speed and accuracy in the AF system I was hoping for.

yeah...same problems here...trying to AF on an 18 month old little girl who never quits moving makes me wish I was on the corner of the Indy 500 racetrack trying to snap some off of the cars rounding the corner...probably have more luck

My D70 can track kids with the right technique so this is more something that you just need to learn how to do than it is something you should just expect an expensive camera to just do for you. The D3 is certainly more than capable, but doesn't have an auto-track-kid mode so you still have to do the work.
(excerpts selected by me)

I think this is one of those threads which really demonstrates that user opinions are just that - user opinions - which can be terribly subjective and potentially misleading.

With the D3 Nikon has the luxury of not needing to actually "defend" itself - since it's acclaimed as having the best or one of the best AF performances anywhere.

Note that Pentax has no such luxury (and probably "noticeably" worse autofocus performance anyway).

Of course, I make no apologies for Pentax in situations where (say) a D90 in an identical situation has better performance :)

And this also applies to me - I've complained before about the difficulty of focussing on kids (and been "scolded" :p) Having used the K7 for awhile now, I think that was more of a "difficulty of focussing in low-light" thing.

my friends actually commented to me that my K200d's focusing was faster than their D60 and A200 :sweat:

Even the best equipment is useless without good technique...
Often times it is difficult for some to admit they got some way to go photographically speaking (in other words their shots suck...), and put the blame on the gear.
So what's new? :rolleyes:

Before AF era, photographers shot actions and moving subjects too. When they couldn't get sharp shots, they'd blame themselves, and practise more so they might be able to get better shots next time.

Nowadays when we can't take good shots on fast moving subjects, we'd blame the equipment :) Can't take a good shot? Blame the gear, works all the time. ;)

IMGP1697_small.jpg

IMGP1751_small.jpg

IMGP2026_small.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.