have you seen 99 99 99 when u boot up your PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

modenaslim

Mar 2, 2003
Yishun Broadway KopiDiam
Visit site
using fren's laptop, after watching movie last night, i shut down and open today..
once the Logo <NEC> appears
press <F2> to boot from bla bla bla and <F12> to boot bla bla bla.
i hope this is familiar with those using laptop...

after this screen disappeared, the black screen appears a lot of 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99

the 99 will keep coming out more and more until 1 page is full then restart and repeating the same thing..

OH!!! GOd.. :sweat:
I have quite important documents inside and i couldn't afford to loose it..

called up NEC support.. haiz.. what they can do eventually is to ask me recover back my OS.. but this will looses everything ...

hmm....sianz man...

I tried pressing F2, tried F5, tried F8 and F12 when booting up.. but the 99 still coming out to see me :(

anyone has same experience????

I think the only way to recover it is to take out the hardisk, use external hardisk enclosure to open my hardisk on another PC... :cry:

modenaslim said:
using fren's laptop, after watching movie last night, i shut down and open today..
once the Logo <NEC> appears
press <F2> to boot from bla bla bla and <F12> to boot bla bla bla.
i hope this is familiar with those using laptop...

after this screen disappeared, the black screen appears a lot of 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99

the 99 will keep coming out more and more until 1 page is full then restart and repeating the same thing..

OH!!! GOd.. :sweat:
I have quite important documents inside and i couldn't afford to loose it..

called up NEC support.. haiz.. what they can do eventually is to ask me recover back my OS.. but this will looses everything ...

hmm....sianz man...

I tried pressing F2, tried F5, tried F8 and F12 when booting up.. but the 99 still coming out to see me :(

anyone has same experience????

I think the only way to recover it is to take out the hardisk, use external hardisk enclosure to open my hardisk on another PC... :cry:

Nothing wrong with the Laptop. This is a problem with the harddisk boot sector (OS Loading component). The first 100 sector of your harddisk is corrupted. Thus the system cannot recoginse the loading sector.

I will only experience it when I tried to rewrite my boot sector wrongly, for example when my boot up configuration for my Linux setting is wrong. For NTFS will prohibit you to read the data inside (provided you are using NT / Win 2000), but for Win 95/95 you could still boot up from your diskette and read the harddisk.

Windows has this problem whenever you shutdown the system before it's predictive write is completed, for example switching off the power supply before shutdown is completed, due to lacking of Journal logging of NTFS / FAT / VFAT system.

To recover, maybe can only, depending on how serverly it is corrupted, Sometime a fdisk /mbr will work on 95/98 system... sometime it doesn't.

For NT system, if I remember correctly, you can boot up with your NT CDROM, then log in as adminstrator then use some command to rewrite the boot sector .... but I forget it already ..... will only remember if I am on the system itself, as most of the time I will type "HELP" on the NT commandline system.

For windows system, I suggest you copy out the document after you could log in then reformat the whole harddisk. Windows system become unstable onces the boot sector has been rewritten (technical deficency).

Even if you put it in another system still the same one. :blah:

blurblock said:
Nothing wrong with the Laptop. This is a problem with the harddisk boot sector (OS Loading component). The first 100 sector of your harddisk is corrupted. Thus the system cannot recoginse the loading sector.

I will only experience it when I tried to rewrite my boot sector wrongly, for example when my boot up configuration for my Linux setting is wrong. For NTFS will prohibit you to read the data inside (provided you are using NT / Win 2000), but for Win 95/95 you could still boot up from your diskette and read the harddisk.

Windows has this problem whenever you shutdown the system before it's predictive write is completed, for example switching off the power supply before shutdown is completed, due to lacking of Journal logging of NTFS / FAT / VFAT system.

To recover, maybe can only, depending on how serverly it is corrupted, Sometime a fdisk /mbr will work on 95/98 system... sometime it doesn't.

For NT system, if I remember correctly, you can boot up with your NT CDROM, then log in as adminstrator then use some command to rewrite the boot sector .... but I forget it already ..... will only remember if I am on the system itself, as most of the time I will type "HELP" on the NT commandline system.

For windows system, I suggest you copy out the document after you could log in then reformat the whole harddisk. Windows system become unstable onces the boot sector has been rewritten (technical deficency).

Even if you put it in another system still the same one. :blah:

Thanks for spending so much time helping.. but... I'm not up to your standard yet, i used XP original recovery CD (original) to boot but i can only go to the screen where you are prompted to whether create new partition, delete partition or exit...

I can't go to any command line AT ALL 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99
keep coming out and pc restarts after 1 page of 99 99 99 ....

anyone.. forgot to mention one thing.
i installed Linux mandrake before.. but uninstalled after i find it not useful to me..
then everytime when u on the PC, the first screen coming out after the NEC logo is to prompt you to select <mandrake> <safe> or <windows>

the bootup is overwritten by linux mandrake liao..
Before this i didn't fix it coz i lazi
/..

I think i juz take out the hardisk and transfer the file.. after that put it back lor
simplest way but not very skill way... :(

modenaslim said:
Thanks for spending so much time helping.. but... I'm not up to your standard yet, i used XP original recovery CD (original) to boot but i can only go to the screen where you are prompted to whether create new partition, delete partition or exit...

I can't go to any command line AT ALL 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99
keep coming out and pc restarts after 1 page of 99 99 99 ....

anyone.. forgot to mention one thing.
i installed Linux mandrake before.. but uninstalled after i find it not useful to me..
then everytime when u on the PC, the first screen coming out after the NEC logo is to prompt you to select <mandrake> <safe> or <windows>

the bootup is overwritten by linux mandrake liao..
Before this i didn't fix it coz i lazi
/..

I think i juz take out the hardisk and transfer the file.. after that put it back lor
simplest way but not very skill way... :(

Then no choice lor ..... use another harddisk to boot up and has this harddisk as seconardary ..... however, I noticed you use XP = NTFS .... might not work ......

huh.. . now i install another XP in the same drive C: but install in location C:WINDOW instead of C:WINDOWS..

hope when finish, the pc can reboot into windows.. then i extract my data...

modenaslim said:
huh.. . now i install another XP in the same drive C: but install in location C:WINDOW instead of C:WINDOWS..

hope when finish, the pc can reboot into windows.. then i extract my data...

guys. the laptop now can boot into old windows normally liao.
boot sector problem is solved..

thanks for those who reply and advice..

End.. :blah:

Status
Not open for further replies.