Have you lost several hundreds of photos on your compact disk!

Status
Not open for further replies.

siamak

Nov 10, 2009
Penang, Malaysia
society50.com
Hello everyone,

- Last week I plugged my compact disc (containing photos) to the crappy card reader I have bought and then plugged the USB reader cable into my PC.

It appears that shacking in the USB port connects and disconnects the port several times and when the disk is detected it is unformatted!! and need to be formatted! ;( Everything is gone!

- Have you ever come to this situation? I am happy that I did not have photos of a trip to Europe or a far country otherwise I might had a heart attack.

- What do you do to minimize the risk of losing important photos in this way?

Thanks

Compact disk = CD? How to insert a CD into a card reader?
What is "shacking in the USB port" and how do you disconnect a "port"?

1. Did u try to shack the CD into another PC? It could be that the current port / pc is not working correctly.
2. I think your CD is corrupted. Perhaps due to moisture or physical pressure on it. Moreover CD wont last forever; bound to fail.
3. Backup / transfer the files whenever possible. If you going overseas, consider getting a portable harddisk that can allow shacking on-the-fly.

use cardrecoverypro software to recover files

Yes I experienced before. Faulty card-reader corrupts my CF card

Faulty card readers are very well able to screw up the file system on a memory card. Together with Windows' glorious features it's quite easy to achieve lots of data loss that way.
Get a new and branded card reader, don't scrimp here. Get a recovery software. Search the forum here, listed many times. Also, check the USB ports at your computer. If there is anything suspicious (lost connections with other devices as well) don't use those any more. If you have a PC get additional interface cards.
I had the 'fortune' too that an old card reader screwed up the card. Luckily all files could be recovered. It seems that it only affects the FAT but not the data sectors. Good chances for recovery.

YUp, I lost them too, my Sandisk died on me with 2gb of data. luckily at the time, the card was from my 400D which I used as my backup and not the main cam.

Status
Not open for further replies.