Have you guys been reading National Geographic lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EOS10D

Deregistered
Aug 7, 2005
Just happened to browse a copy today and the pics are now all digital, dont know how to put this, but they look appalling....
digital noise , lack of saturation, ....Gone are the old style of pics.

Even the paper feels very different

Dont get me wrong, i like digital , but seeing NGM does it,,,hmmm

Just doesnt feel right

For me, I like the smell of NGM :) :)

My mum just bought 2 copies of May's edition for S$2 each at the recent book fair at suntec. Cover page about Gospel of Judas. Good deal!

Nat Geo is something that u can read yrs later.

$1.50 per book is good.

+evenstar said:
i have one whole cupboard of Nat Geog books, some over 5-8years old. I still like the pics in the books

:p I have past 26 years of collection... :) every single one of 'em....

danmic said:
:p I have past 26 years of collection... :) every single one of 'em....
i also have some from the 50s :bsmilie:

Other than NG, Life mag is also worth looking up for its wonderful photos. Sadly, it went out of circulation.

zha said:
Other than NG, Life mag is also worth looking up for its wonderful photos. Sadly, it went out of circulation.

Yeah I use to love reading them when I was at the school libary. :cry:

i dunno if i can agree with u. I was looking at some of the stuff from the early 90s and the grain was atrocious. The night shots had so much grain that compared to today's photos, u'd probably have to junk them. Also, the resolution was a lot worse as well. I think overall it has improved technically. I can't comment on the quality of photos though.

I still love all thier old widelife photos shot on velvia/ ectachrome :D I have the 198X one with Dr. David Mech's report on artic wolves...

szekiat said:
I was looking at some of the stuff from the early 90s and the grain was atrocious. The night shots had so much grain that compared to today's photos, u'd probably have to junk them. Also, the resolution was a lot worse as well. I think overall it has improved technically.

Thank you for this comment. I was already beginning to question my eyesight before I read this.

As far as the journalistic quality of NG photos go, I can't help the impression they are frequently generic eyecandy that doesn't relate much to the topic of the article.

Status
Not open for further replies.