Have you gone from DSLR back to compact cameras?

JohnTaylor

Jun 24, 2009
I've been a very keen users of DSLR's for a little while now, but recently I went hiking and decided, on a whim, to go light and take my 6 year old compact Nikon S10, approx 300gms, instead of my DSLR, approx 1.2kg. I found my compact quite useable and although the photos aren't aps-c quality, I was glad to have the convenience and flexibility of my S10. Although it's 6 years old, it put up a pretty good show.

It's got quite a few compact camera short comings, like slow focus, slow turn on/off, and slight distortion at wide angle, but still not too shabby.

I know there's many people who move "upwards", from compact, to maybe mega zoom, to DSLR, and maybe "back" to mirrorless, but I'm wondering- have there been any people who have gone from DSLR to compact again? I mean more or less for good, not just one off?

That's why I have a NEX as a backup/travel camera.

But I still keep my DSLR for the proper work.

kei1309 said:
i shoot with my phone :D

It's not the gear! It's the photographer. LOL

m using a x10 though not really compact but smaller than my dslr haha

I either shoot fully with my iphone with battery casing or maybe a Sony H10 / Canon S95.

Not really go back to compact but sometimes i just prefer small, light and easy to slot in the pocket.

:)

Apple iPhone 4S - the camera that I always have on me.

I suppose shooting with different cameras once in a while can be fun.

I use my iPhone when I don't bring my DSLR out. Sure I don't get good bokeh or crispy sharpness but I got e picture.

Waiting for the iPhone 5... wanna test the new iSight camera which seemed to be highly rated by Apple... Cheers

It depends. 1 reason why many people still buy cheap compact despite knowing the quality will not be as good as regular camera is because all they want is to capture the moment. For memory sake. Picture sharp or not its ok as long he/she know whats in the picture and can recall back some memories when looking back at the photos.

Just do it the way that works better for you. :)

Nowadays camera phones r so good, they put cheapo compacts to shame. Other than perhaps optical zoom, there's nth entry lvl compacts can offer better than a phone.

If there's a need to ditch your dslr temporary for whatever reason e.g. weight but still require image quality n control that phone cameras cannot offer, then it would be those enthusiast compacts (1/1.7" sensor) and above. If money no issue, mirrorless or rx1 :)

Waiting for the iPhone 5... wanna test the new iSight camera which seemed to be highly rated by Apple... Cheers

Of course Apple will rate their own camera highly. But it's just on the same level as other phones. :p

For me it was the reverse. I started with a P&S and went to mirrorless.

My first camera was an advanced P&S: Fuji S6500FD with 1/1.6" sensor. But this camera is huge and very heavy - about 700g with 4 AA sized batteries inside. Quite a good camera though, bought 2006, my brother still uses it regularly.

In 2008 I saw micro4/3rds cameras in the news and got excited.

In 2010 Samsung released the first APS-C mirrorless camera. A few months later I bought it, and even with kit zoom lens it is smaller and lighter than the P&S. With pancake lens it is at about half the weight. :-o

Last edited:
I gave up my m4/3 gear for a compact camera, the Sony RX100. However, I am still keeping my DSLR gear for the 'serious' stuff! Anyway, these days, smartphone camera is good enough for those upload-to-facebook type of unplanned shots.

got the E-M5 as my compact camera and everytime i carry my m43 gears out, i will be reminded of how my shoulders will ache when i lug my 7D + lenses around.

......... Nikon S10,
.... the photos aren't aps-c quality .........
....quite a few compact camera short comings, like slow focus, slow turn on/off, and slight distortion at wide angle....

whoa man the Nikon S10 is from 2006/2007 ..... days of the Canon 400D and Olympus E400 ...... 'ancient' times and 'ancient' technology

today's compact cameras are alot more responsive and pack a whole lot more punch

time to take a well deserved big leapfrog jump and upgrade to a present day compact :)

(this is going to be at least a 4 generation leapfrog for you .... huge savings as technology has taken a few big steps since and prices have moved lower )

Last edited: