Have you felt irritated with pple who know nuts abt photog & make senseless comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Deregistered
Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
gosh... never been more irritated with this "idiotic" colleague in my dept.

I was taking an outdoor pic of my friend when he passed by with his gf. Gave me a silly almost sarcastic grin and exclaimed: "Why are you taking a pic of (plain) chimneys (as backdrop)?!" Like I was being ridiculous! What that guy didn't know was the chimneys were never in the pic and I actually had a respectable background.

Next, went into a hotel and took more pics of my friend. Met the irritating chap again and he saw me take pics while waiting for the lift to come. I snapped one, then decided to vary parameters such as exposure and flash. Took another one or two again. And yup, the know-nuts-about-photography guy made the remark with his trademark silly grin, "Wow, trigger happy"... Almost as if to question my skills! DUH! :hammer:

Which reminds me, on another occasion, I was taking pics of the moon. This 50s guy walked over, scrutinized what I was doing for 1/2 minute, then asked "Eh, wat you taking ah?" I replied "the moon". And he went like : "Huh, what's so nice about the moon?" DUH!! :sticktong

Wonder if u all got such experiences... Whoa...Willing to share??

Let a fool be a fool, never argue with a fool.

Yeah, in fact I ignored him.... I wanted to try to reply on the spot but dunno how to! Cos it was so dumb in the first place. I'm not the sarcastic kind unless truly provoked by nonsense...

But my colleague's remarks were so like DUHH!!

don't bother lah, last time i shoot macro around my flat all the aunties, uncles, kids, foreign workers come look look see see. i just smile at them :bsmilie:

50s guy: "Eh, wat you taking ah?"
David: "the moon"
50s guy: "Huh, what's so nice about the moon?"

David: "So what you looking at ah?"
50s guy: "U lah"
David: "So i must very nice to look at loh.":lovegrin:

don't bother lah, last time i shoot macro around my flat all the aunties, uncles, kids, foreign workers come look look see see. i just smile at them :bsmilie:

Ha.. Yah, I know what you mean by this one! I did encounter something like that, but not as big as your crowd. Ha...

Being curious is ok, I wouldn't mind cos if I'm not into photog, I might be curious what someone is doing too. But to talk "air" without understanding something first, aiyoh I can't stand that.

Anyway, I guess live and let live... I should be concerned with getting better shots and ignore senseless remarks.

Okie, thanks guys for all your postings. juz share stories if you want. gdnite!

50s guy: "Eh, wat you taking ah?"
David: "the moon"
50s guy: "Huh, what's so nice about the moon?"

David: "So what you looking at ah?"
50s guy: "U lah"
David: "So i must very nice to look at loh.":lovegrin:

Hey hey... :bsmilie: *pinch you*:bsmilie:

I would consider the remarks of a layman impt IF he was commenting on my end product. Then again I would get irritated if he questions my methods(if he knows nuts) and why I'm indulging in my hobby.:)

There isn't anything wrong with what your friend said, he doesn't appreciate photography so he thinks in a certain way and he is probably the kind who has to comment. You just need a way to reply to shut such people up. e.g. "I am learning how best to capture light", "I am learning how to capture a moment in time" etc etc

Yes, I did encounter such experiences before, but then again, it's really pointless to let such minor incident or comment to affect how we feel for that day. So what I did whenever I encounter such situation is usually is just smile back and say "I'm just shutter happy not trigger happy, and it's because I'm still learning and improve my skills".

Once I was just aiming a sky line feature and taking some shots at it, a friend pass by and ask "What so nice about this for you to take, don't waste your time lah!" I replied him "To a trained photographer eyes, every thing can worth some time to take, it's only those who don't have a photographer eyes that will miss out something beautiful." Indirectly, I just 'swan' him back. Hehe...

Ignore and forgive them ....They just dont know what they are talking about!!

Yappy and happy

I had the same experience just not too long, covering an event in a dimly lit hall. I was using my 70-200/f2.8 VR without flash. And while i was shooting, can hear comments like my equipment a bit overkill and without flash, whether my pictures can make it. I just ignored them, did my job, delivered them, customer was happy. Well, some people thinks by knowing a little thinks they already know EVERYTHING. Without hands on, believe me, they practically know nuts. It's the skill and the pictures of a photographer that counts and of course not forgetting that it is your interest and your passion (or even rice bowl), not theirs.

Hi guys...

Hmm, but I think the best way as acidbyte says, is to ignore them. The more we explain, the more they don't get it and it's like we are being defensive. But I wish they didn't make those remarks, especially if they are my friends or people I know. Just got that irritated feeling inside.

The "Why waste your time" is a very common remark. During film days, it's even worse... lots of films have to be spent, when you have to bracket exposure.

Lay people just dun understand what it takes to take a good picture. Think the subject of photography has been taken for granted sometimes, especially here where its appreciation by the common man in the street is not strong. And that's why customers expect pros to charge dirt cheap for wedding packgages. *sad*

so funny, such a funny man, anyway...

next time he make comment about you do photography, just laugh out loud, don't have to reply anything...

come here share with us, let us have a good laugh too..

While shooting night landscape at CBD

Mr know nuts about photography talking to his girl
"So dark already he still shooting, never use flash somemore!" :confused:

:bsmilie:

But of cos, if the one who's making the idiotic comment is ur boss, its a different case altogether. U'll have to kowtow to his remarks even if he can be lousiest photographer posse wannabe *ahem-ahem*. ;)

If its other ppl (unless u're in the sales line and u can never know if the person is a prospective client), u can either choose to ignore or smile and give him a beautiful present out of ur middle finger. ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.