Have you ever wondered ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren

ClubSNAP Admin
Staff member
Jan 16, 2002
Melbourne
... "Why am I here?". Not here as in ClubSNAP, but here as in "existing on Earth right now right here".

Sort of an existentialist question, really, but sometimes, I do wonder and think, "Why am I here?". Really. Is this what evolution has distilled into - an endless routine of daily grind and toil with questionable returns (yeah yeah, we work for money to survive, but is that ALL that life is about?). Is this what 3.5 billion years of constant change on Earth has culminated in - mere beings seemingly teeming about like ants scurrying about doing "pre-programmed" tasks?

If you think about it, the human race has only been around for a blink of eye in terms of the history of Earth. Compared to the 200 million-plus years of existence for the dinosaurs, we are mere pimples on the crusty scales of time. Thus the question "Why am I here?" is very relevant as in another blink of Old Father Time's eye, we humans will probably have blasted ourselves out of existence, leaving the planet to the cockroaches who can survive nuclear winter.

"Why am I here?" - what is my purpose in life? Is it what I am doing now? Does it make a difference? Why?

Thoughts like this frequently flitter across my mind - among all the billions of stars and planets in the universe, why is it that Planet Earth has evolved an incredible diversity of life over a timescale that truly boggles the mind, and yet, here I am on the MRT going to work on yet another hot humid day ... "Why am I here?"

I got my answer 14 years ago ...

aao.gif

Okay, I know; the guy's not as handsome as me ... :bsmilie:

we all seek reasons for being. that's the nirvana of self-fulfillment. fulfilment in jobs, love life, etc...all just ways we try to see our roles in the big picture.

often, the small grainy bits get blown up and seem so important that we forget pur intial intentions and goals.

we are here because we are here. the next obvious question is then, where is 'here'? that is a question everyone has to find an answer to themselves. everyone's reality is different. Eg, i believe that my job makes a difference, but many people (for a fact) feel that iy is a waste of time. but i press on, as it answers the questions that has been in my mind ever since i was 12 - what is my calling? am i just another spoke in the wheel? my reality is not anyone elses.

that is why i am here.

i'm here cos i believe i'm somebody impt in the grand scheme of things. not rich or famous or influential, but that i make a difference in the world at large.

well at least i hope so. the opposite would be too harsh to bear... ;p

Darren, how come posting this kind of topic so suddenly?

me? i wonder too, whyfor the existence - but then... it's interesting to me that humans have evolved so fast, and conjured up so much more stuff than any other animal in the animal kingdom has... :dunno:

Originally posted by SniperD
Darren..... you watched too much A-N-I-M-A-T-R-I-X :think:
Actually, I haven't seen that yet - waiting to buy the Code 1 DVD. ;)

Originally posted by sehsuan
me? i wonder too, whyfor the existence - but then... it's interesting to me that humans have evolved so fast, and conjured up so much more stuff than any other animal in the animal kingdom has... :dunno:
Exactly! In the span of a few thousand years, we now have skyscrapers soaring into the skies, metal tubes flit thru the air and deposit ppl hither and tither, we have sent people to the moon and back (although some say that was a hoax and the entire moon landing was shot in the desert near Area 51 ... but that's a topic for another thread), we have wonderful doodads and thingumajigs that can process 6 Million pixels in a millisecond, but on the grand scheme of things we are hardly scratching the surface.

As to why I am thinking this, don't read too much into it :bsmilie: - its basically because I spend too much time travelling on the MRT, and the mind just wanders and wonders ... for instance, when passing a certain spot near a lake at the time of a wonderful sunrise and there's birds flitting about the water's edge trying to catch their breakfast, the monitor lizard cruising slowly trying to catch the bird catching their breakfast ... all seemingly serene and somehow fitting into the jigsaw puzzle of life. And here I am whizzing past on the MRT going to work, and looking forward to a breakfast consisting of ground beans soaked in water and grains which have been flattened and roasted. Why?

Incidentally, the following books also feature a lot in influencing why I am wondering the thoughts above:-
Stephen Hawking - The Universe In a Nutshell
Stephen Hawking - A Brief History of Time
Terry Pratchett - Science of Discworld
Terry Pratchett - Science of Discworld II - The Globe

Originally posted by Darren

Incidentally, the following books also feature a lot in influencing why I am wondering the thoughts above:-
Stephen Hawking - The Universe In a Nutshell
Stephen Hawking - A Brief History of Time
Terry Pratchett - Science of Discworld
Terry Pratchett - Science of Discworld II - The Globe [/B]

Seems like this books did not answer your question of "why am I here?".

Another book you should consider reading that had answered my 3 questions:-

1) Where do I come from?
2) Why am I here?
3) Where am I going?

The Book is called "The Holy Bible".

Originally posted by Snowcrash
Seems like this books did not answer your question of "why am I here?".

Another book you should consider reading that had answered my 3 questions:-

1) Where do I come from?
2) Why am I here?
3) Where am I going?

The Book is called "The Holy Bible".
At the danger of veering into verboten territory, yes, I am familiar with the teachings of the Bible.

Anyway, don't want to delve into religious issues here as there are many opposing views.

Darren, if you find the answer, please let me know...
Many people tried to answer that, but trapped inside many forms of philosophical believes and religion. No definitive answer yet.
Just imagine ...... billions of cells forming your body. What will happen if one day, one of that cell ask a question 'why am I here?' . Will that cell get the answer?
I believe that there're things that we may not need to know. We can ask ourself anything, but not all have the answer.

Well, probably much better if you could try to express that question into photographs :devil:

Originally posted by Astin
I only see your posting, I cannot see you. Are you really here?
Once upon a time,
I dreamt
I was a butterfly...Suddenly
I awoke...Now, I do not
know whether I was then
a man dreaming I was
a butterfly, or whether I
am now a butterfly dreaming
that I am a man.
- - - - Chuang-Tzu

Originally posted by Darren
... "Why am I here?". Not here as in ClubSNAP, but here as in "existing on Earth right now right here".
here?"[/i]
[/B]

Because two persons fell in love, united in matrimony, and create something beautiful and unique -- to love, to care for. Most of us were borned out of love.

So being here not out of our own choice , the question at hand is your task and your destiny

I believe, if I can resolve this question, I've attained enlightment.

Hi All....

In a nutshell.......We are here to Manage the resources in this world......

The creator has created this little ball in the solar system. Within it the natural resources and we are here to manage it. We manage it through innovations and inventions. With the help from the guidance of the creator. Humans sees with two eyes....the brains(thinking) and desire(Feeling). It depens on what you fill the brain with in life effects the thinking & feeling.

Humans are born with empty brains and helpless. Unlike other living thing which has a "programmed brain" and knows what to do,how to do it and when to do it". They normally obey the creator but humans always questions!!!!!....thats what we are doing now!!!

What religion?...there is no religion...There is only a WAY OF LIFE!!!!

regards,
Sulhan

Originally posted by AdamGoi
I got my answer 14 years ago ...

aao.gif

Okay, I know; the guy's not as handsome as me ... :bsmilie:

You mean Jesus? How can he be as handsome as you? He didnt exist. Ok, bad joke (to some, and no offence, forgive me)

But on a serious note, How did you get the answer?

Status
Not open for further replies.