Have you ever heard of such practice?

de_stan

Apr 21, 2004
I was recently told by another photographer that not only do we need to keep our camera and lenses in the dry box, but we also need to shine a spotlight on it so as to 'dry' any moisture inside.
Can anyone verify if its true?

I was recently told by another photographer that not only do we need to keep our camera and lenses in the dry box, but we also need to shine a spotlight on it so as to 'dry' any moisture inside.

It's one way of drying the moisture inside, but I prefer silica gel. Dry boxes do nothing to dry moisture, though they may keep a little moisture out.

isn't dry box suppose to be air tight? :think:

and the drying agent suppose to do their work?

if so, why need then spotlight? than after the spotlight "dry" the moisture, where can the moisture escape to?

physics failed. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Last edited:
if so, after the spotlight "dry" the moisture, where can the moisture escape to?

physics failed. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

:bsmilie: then where they pump out the moisture!

anyways, thanks to this thread, i checked my hydro meter battery. it leaked:bsmilie:

and the drying agent suppose to do their work?

if so, why need then spotlight? than after the spotlight "dry" the moisture, where can the moisture escape to?

physics failed. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Airtight but when you open it to take out your equipment, moisture will go in mah.

installing a 5w bulb in a metal cabinet is the army style of dry cabinet, that is how the army keep the mortal sight, gun sight, binoculars fungus free, because the bulb will heat up the air, so the moisture will escape out of the cabinet.

when in a dry box, if the drying agent is working, the moisture will be trap in the drying agent. if there is no drying agent, or dry agent is not working, the moisture will have no way to escape, so you are just "steaming" your camera with the spot light.

Last edited:
installing a 5w bulb in a metal cabinet is the army style of dry cabinet, that is how the army keep the mortal sight, gun sight, binoculars fungus free.
Isn't the comms and optics store air conditioned 24/7? During an annual LAB check in my NSF unit, pieces of mould that had grown all over the celling cassette air conditioner started dropping. Needless to say that the inspector was extremely disgusted. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
The spotlight is to ensure that your gleaming spanking new D3, Speedlight, Trinity lenses and Gitzo tripod (unused, since D3 is so good) are displayed in their best light...

Without the spotlight, the lovely glow and lustre of your gear cannot be brought out.

I've heard that this spotlight is even more effective for this brand with a red dot and cursive handwriting.

Disco light works better.

The spotlight is to ensure that your gleaming spanking new D3, Speedlight, Trinity lenses and Gitzo tripod (unused, since D3 is so good) are displayed in their best light...

Without the spotlight, the lovely glow and lustre of your gear cannot be brought out.

I've heard that this spotlight is even more effective for this brand with a red dot and cursive handwriting.

:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

this one??

url

seagull501a.jpg

did that photogrpher told you to kick or move the dry box. no, i am not joking, it is physic, but you go figure it . if he didn't instruct you to do that, then tell him that he failed.

Last edited:
Burning incense inside the dry cabi, not only can bless the equipment, also can fog out the fungus and mould. 发啊!!!!!!!!!

must also put under sun........................

.......we also need to shine a spotlight on it so as to 'dry' any moisture inside.....

ha ha ha this reminded me of what we used to do 35+ years ago before electronic dry boxes.... yes a tiny little torchlight 2 or 5w naked bulb was used in our cabinet (usually a kitchen type cabinet with glass slidings to keep plates/cups ...... to keep humidity levels down

When we were kids in the 60s , we had a storeroom where the light bulb was kept perpetually turned On ....... my mum used to tell me its to keep the ghosts and goblins away as they liked to hide in dark corners...... it just kept stuff in the store room from turning moldy

then the silica gel beads came along to Singapore in the 70s ..... that was fun until you forgot to recharge your beads... then it was back to the little lightbulb again

nowadays this is lightbulb 'trick' is ridiculous and unnecessary because dry box technology is so much more efficient and modern .....BUT STILL based on the SAME principles of science (effects of heat/cooling on moisture minus the light). Almost all electronic dry boxes and wine cabinets/chillers are temperature/humidity controlled via peltier-type principle electronic systems (non-fan heat exchange between two different metals with an electrical charge passed through them) to regulate temperature and humidity levels ........

this effect/phenomenon was discovered in the 1800's but only applied on a widescale commercial basis over the last 20-30+ years when wine-drinking and collecting swept the world

thanks for taking me down memory lane :bsmilie:

Last edited:
anyways, thanks to this thread, i checked my hydro meter battery. it leaked. :bsmilie:
Electrochemical leakage from the battery could have potentially damaged you hygrometer, it is in your best interest to source for a new replacement unit.

Introducing the most accurate temperature and humidity graphical data logger on the market, the Fluke's Hart Scientific Division 1620A "DewK" Digital Thermometer-Hygrometer. The “H" model measures temperature and Relative Humidity (RH) with an ultra superior accuracy of within ± 0.125 °C from 16 °C to 24 °C and ± 1.5 % RH from 20 % RH to 70 % RH on two separate sensor channels.

Basic package starts at an extremely low, low price of just US$$1,925.00 and you know you want it simply because your professional optical imaging equipments deserve the very best that they can get. ;)

Last edited: