Have you ever been caught in this painful situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadus

Jan 17, 2002
HWZ?
mylife.clubsnap.org
Thinking of going fully motion as found that motion pictures are more fun. And since my intro to photography hobby has all been about having fun, it makes sense given the limited amount of time we all have on our hobbies.

However, many a times, tried to give up my digital cam, just can't bear to do it... haha. Moreover, digital still sometimes have that eteral & ageless feel to it that motion can't capture. And my 10D is like part of my family liao...how to let go???

What do you do? :bheart:

Shadus said:
Thinking of going fully motion as found that motion pictures are more fun. And since my intro to photography hobby has all been about having fun, it makes sense given the limited amount of time we all have on our hobbies.

However, many a times, tried to give up my digital cam, just can't bear to do it... haha. Moreover, digital still sometimes have that eteral & ageless feel to it that motion can't capture. And my 10D is like part of my family liao...how to let go???

What do you do? :bheart:

i know how it feels. :D was using a dsc-p1 for 2 years, gave it up for a DV cam, used it for several months, missed my digicam, sold the DV cam and bought a prosumer digicam. :D not looking back though. ;)

oh!
Actually, i was thinking of selling 10D, get a canon G2 or G3 to backup the DV cam. But i know G2/G3 can't compete with the 10D, esp. those beautiful night shots.

Do you already have the DV Cam? If so, no problem lah ... just shoot both - get one of those bars that can mount two devices for your tripod and shoot them side by side.

But seriously, I think DV and stills have their own places and cannot replace each other.

DV requires one to extensively edit and cut down the footage to bite-sized chunks to show to friends/family (not everyone wants to or appreciates that 1-hr raw footage of baby attempting to feed him/herself).

And not to mention the computing power and storage needed to edit DV footage.

Each hour of raw DV footage consumes roughly 12-13GB of storage.

I think Panasonic or Sony made a DV that can also shoot digital stills, although the quality is not so good. Just need to wait until technology catch up and the DV can produce a decent digital stills at the same time.

On the other hand, why cant a DSLR take MPEG? It is still a mystery to me.

Super agree with Darren.
If anyone thinks that PS'ing digital photo is tough. should go and try editing DV. haha ;)

Astin said:
I think Panasonic or Sony made a DV that can also shoot digital stills, although the quality is not so good. Just need to wait until technology catch up and the DV can produce a decent digital stills at the same time.

On the other hand, why cant a DSLR take MPEG? It is still a mystery to me.

You know what? flapping a mirror at 30fps, or for pellicle-mirrors, shutter opening and closing at 30fps isn't going to have a very long life. ;p

Regards
CK

Hor hor...

I jumped from DV to photography...
Reason coz editing is a pain in the ass.
& equipment a lot more $$$. Need better computers also, better capture cards... bleah... bleah...

BTW, OT a bit, anyone wanna buy my digicam? Selling it coz I'm not using it anymore... HERE

ckiang said:
You know what? flapping a mirror at 30fps, or for pellicle-mirrors, shutter opening and closing at 30fps isn't going to have a very long life. ;p

Regards
CK

I know lah. But technology never stops right?
I was involved in CCD designs in late 1980s. Back then which crazy engineer would think of putting a CCD inside a camera? :bsmilie:

Yeap, editing is real painful.

Actually, DV prices is coming down with better features. As are computers and their functionality. And IBM (now Hitachi) keeps coming up with cheaper and higher storage HDD.

you might want to go back in again? :p

Who knows, maybe in the near future "ClubSNAP - Photography Community" might turn into "ClubSNAP - Imaging Community"

hur hur? Can attract more members than if its broadly defined :p

Getting tired just trying to edit my first 45 min video clip . Much prefer photo editing. INSTANT RESULTS! Besides, 64 mb dedicated graphics memory on a centrino 1.3 just don't cut it when it comes to video editing.

Shadus said:
Who knows, maybe in the near future "ClubSNAP - Photography Community" might turn into "ClubSNAP - Imaging Community"

hur hur? Can attract more members than if its broadly defined :p

I think maybe it should be called ClubShoot? or ClubVids?

Anyone has a better name? ;p

err.. ClubSNAP,
the SNAP do stands for something. hence u cna't just replace with Shoot or Vids w/o changing its meaning :p

i rather edit still pictures than motion pictures with sound! my god! its so painful to be in the editing room 24/7!!! so sorry, i got into photography partly because editing on video is painful! Well i love a good show though!

Status
Not open for further replies.