have tripod but still shaky

Status
Not open for further replies.

aloyteo

Sep 14, 2005
aloyteo.multiply.com
i'm using the nikon tripod that came with the d70 but i'm mounting my canon powershot a80 on it. i realise that after i half depress the shutter button to focus and remove my finger, the camera would shift a little even after i screwed everything tightly. thus, i have to resort to using the 2 second timer.... but what if i'm shooting time critical things like fireworks, if i use the timer i might just lose the moment, please help me thanks.:)

check the workings of the tripod. i am not familiar with yours. check the load weight of the tripod.

make sure you know the limitations of the tripod you are using. otherwise, disaster looms.

the load weight should be ok as my powershot is far lighther than the d70. anyway images are still sharper than without using a tripod, but blurrer than using a tripod with self timer.

it's better to use a remote in such situations. it keeps your finger from pressing on the camera and yet could trigger the shutter any time.

or u can hold your finger there until the shot is taken, i always do that, better then pressing then releasing ur finger

I think in general, free tripods are mostly crap. I had one of those free-gift tripods, and the only way I'd ever use it was with a self-timer. Get a proper one, especially if you're going to use it with your D70.

I don't think so right? Even with the BEST tripod your finger is still going to shake the camera. There is only two ways out, get a remote/cable release or use timer.

with a heavier tripod, it's not likely that your finger can exert enough strength to shake it unless you mean to. Go buy a better tripod, trust us. You can easily get a decent second hand one for 200.

You don't even try and you say we are wrong?

the head is another 75 assuming you go with the popular RC2 head.

and a good solid tripod like the 190B or the 055B are some of the most used and affordable tripods around that are solid enough. For amateur use, it would virtually last a lifetime. And they have got resale value too. and you will have to get a head like a ball head to go with it.

Perhaps another way is to weigh down the tripod ... you can always use your camera bag or something handy.

If you dont want to invest on a good tripod, try what ericp suggest...

weigh down your tripod by hooking your camera bag onto it. Use an inexpensive S-hook which you can find from most hardware shops.

I do that for my very light-weight Gitzo tripod to make sure everything's firm & stable.

ericp said:
Perhaps another way is to weigh down the tripod ... you can always use your camera bag or something handy.

yar my tripod has a hook at the bottom. but it's not the tripod legs that are shaky, its the quick release plate where u place ur cam on, whenever i release my finger from the shutter, the plate will shift a little, hence the camera too.

Without actually seeing the assembly, it sounds like there's a bit of play in the QR "system". Maybe can do a temporary fix by shimming it with cardboard or plastic card ... just cut a few pieces to the shape of the bottom of the QR plate, and add 1 or more to the clamp until the QR plate sits tight on the clamp when you tighten it. To make it stay, maybe you can buy white glue (eg. Elmers) from a bookstore, and use that to glue to the plastic ... if you sell the tripod in the future, it's a simple matter to just yank out the cardboard/plastic shims if the buyer doesn't want them there.

Ditto. Maybe lock-up your mirror if you're a perfectionist.

the tripods that come with purchases are not very sturdy
a gitzo or manfrotto tripod is good
a kanrinpoche or arca swiss ball head is firm

Where would be good places to view these Manfrottos/Gitzos ?

Status
Not open for further replies.