Have to make use of a fisheye lens on a DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomshen

Feb 20, 2002
Singapore
Still have no idea how to make use of my 15mm fisheye on D60. Film body looks much nicer, but scanning film is a trouble.

Any input?

tomshen said:
Still have no idea how to make use of my 15mm fisheye on D60. Film body looks much nicer, but scanning film is a trouble.

Any input?

huh, since when you got yourself a fisheye?

jasphotography said:
huh, since when you got yourself a fisheye?
:bsmilie: I am sinful, recently, got 3 more lenses. :embrass: :devil:

Hurry up, share your opinion... wait, hmm... u r film user, eh...

tomshen said:

3 new lenses! :bigeyes:

15mm
600mm
1200mm

:angel:

tomshen said:

like that you win liao, I only recently got myself a "cheap and replaceable" Nikon 45mm f2.8 P lens (silver colour) for my silver FM3a, hippe...

tomshen said:

yeah right... don't think I am in any better position to give you any better opinion ehhh

erm...... heehee....

well, shoot close up and wide.. with interesting angles... it's like an interest lense... as long as it holds your interest, should play with it like shooting something very minute with a vast horizon... I think the EYES ON CANON III has a very nice pic of the shot from a EF15mm Fisheye ^.^

Also.. pardon my ignorance but what's the diff btwn a non-diagonal and a diagonal fisheye lens?

Diagonal fisheye is 180 degrees across the diagonal field. Full frame is a true 180 but produces a circular picture. On a 1.6 crop some of the top and bottom will be cut out but the round sides should still be there.

tomshen said:

Any input?

It's a D60, right? So can manipulate digitally lor.

*Time to make another shameless plug for Panorama Tools. Helmut Dersch should pay me....*

Download the software from the link. Install into PS plugins directory.

This is the original "wide angle with bad barrel distortion" picture you get with a fisheye on a D60:
fisheye01.jpg

This is the rectilinear version (notice the straight lines are straight). Use the "Adjust" function of Panorama Tools. It looks like it was taken with a wide angle lens costing twice as much as a fisheye:
fisheye02.jpg

This is the fisheye version. Yes, the FOV is not truly 180 degrees, but few people can tell. Use the "Remap" function of Panorama Tools. Looks like an 8mm fisheye, without the cropping of the top and bottom you get with a D60:
fisheye03.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.