Have pity on camera salesman...

Status
Not open for further replies.

artspraken

Aug 7, 2009
Why I tink it difficult to be camera salesman: A moral story by artspraken dated 4 Nov 2009. hope u like.

Limpeh just started camera as hobby. Quite fun siah. When buying camera, I learnt a lot lor. I observe many thing at camera shop. Maybe u got read my other posts. Complain this and dat. Yah lah. Like most kiasu sgrean, I am complain king wan. Like many bro here, I also angry with camera shop. Their service no good. Their price anyhow humtum. Their advice is always gor chiam ji gak. But den hor, I must say lah: sometime I do pity the ah pek sitting on the stool at the camera shop. Their job not easy lei. If u tink carefully, you will sympathize lor.

So today my topic is: actually hor, it is not easy to tan jiak as camera salesman. I hope u read what I say u will understand.

Why I say it difficult lei u might ask? u see hor….nowaday got so many superstar photographer. Just a few example. Mister Ken Rockwell and Mister Thom. Cannot remember full name liao. waah I read their website on internet. they write so many thing. England so powerderful. Like I see Mister Rockwell he review the Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 lens. He say so good so good. He say must buy quick quick or the price increase. KNN…really lei….the whole singapore all the camera shop all sold out! nobody got 35mm 1.8 wan. When I ask when got stock? All the shop say dunno. Wah damn power lei. Mister Rockwell so influential meh. Even whole world sold out arh. I ask you lah. The ah pek and ah chek that sit on the stool and beat mosquito, how can they compare with superstar photographer advice like Mister Rockwell? If you read Mister Rockwell and Mr Thom say a camera is good to buy, u tink that the ah pek and ah chek got chance to persuade you to buy something else meh?

Somemore, nowaday got this thing called forum lei. Got so many people can talk and discuss. Got any problem or question, everything can find. My granddaughter tell me got this thing. Called Goodle. Very good wan. Can find anything lei. Just type name and model number onli. Den waah….so many thing to read. Wah. somemore got this thing called FAQ. Really can become chey mey. Den hor, if u look at youtube wah…can see people showing off their camera strap, tripod, bag and so many thing. make the camera like gun liddat. can see so many thing on internet. u know what that mean? it mean one impt thing. it mean nowaday, before many ppl go to camera shop, they already decide wad they wan to buy.

Den now I ask u again lar. The ah pek and ah beng at the camera shop, u tink they got time to read all dis? u tink they got time to know so much meh. if they know all dis har, they long ago become pro liao. or become superstar photographer like Mister Rockwell so tokong. He writing so good that put up website, got camera seller website wan to beat advertisement on his website and pay him money! bery impressive. Mr Thom website even more tokong lor. his guides can sell wan. the point is this. the ah pek at the camera shop cannot be as good lar. they mainly remember a few thing. name, model number, stock check, price and competitor price. where got time to read about every single model? if got so much time, then when u see ah pek sitting on stool outside the shop, he should be reading Mr Thom's printout tio bo?

somemore hor. nowaday customer sibeh sophistecated wan. young little boy also know how to say aperture and shutter speed. also got a lot of cheem cheem letter. Like ISO, DX, FX, ED, VR, IS, VC. now got this thing called m4/3 somemore. Wah how to remember so many thing right. keep changing wan. den all this customer hor. they tink they read internet a lot they are pro. they think they read Mister Rockwell or Mr Thom, that mean they smarter than the camera seller. Poor ahpek. Everytime they talk to customer, the customer talk so much and got so many question. how to answer. actually many customer showoff to the ahpek nia. If you are the ahpek, I ask u lar. what will u do. of course, u sibeh sianz right? dun say sian by half. I tink sian by m3/4 also!!! Somemore, if Goodle and internet is so good, people already decide wad they want to buy mah. why need to ask so many question lei? everybody come in will ask for GF-1 or EP-1…how good how good. The thing is so new. Ahpek will know meh? Lagi worse…if ahpek dun answer or dun sayang customer, the customer complaint. think that ahpek is rude or bad customer service. aiyah. its not liddat wan. its just that I tink ahpek they all not really into this camera thing. they only want to sell camera and tan jiak onli. somemore got warranty rite? warranty mean the big brand company will tong any problem mah.
ahpek not interest in becoming so good so good in photography. ahpek no ego wan. they only want to eat rice only.

moral of story: dun be too hard on camera-seller.

Last edited:
so, if everything is true, then the camera sales man just need to stock what mister rockwell and mister thom say is goot
no need to convince the customer, just say mister rockwell and mister thom say goot, must be goot
dun belief just goodle lor

moral of story: camera-seller need to surf internet to tan jiak

salespeople should have knowledge about the product they're selling. they are earning commission as well. to earn, they have to learn. that's life.

have pity for non-singlish or dialect speakers/readers. unless your message is only meant for singaporeans.

er harlo, you write er ang moh zi very powerful, lim beh take awhile than can understand, please hor, we got international readers, can not understand what you said lar. can you next time write in primary three engarlish, so any ah beng ah seng ah lian ah huay or robert or steven all can understand... er sai bo??

No 1.
I don't believe nor read what's in Ken Rockwell's website. What he write is his opinion; I buy what I need, not what he thinks I need.

No. 2.
Everyone has to move along with the times. If you don't move on with it, you lose out.

No. 3.
A good businessman should know his products well.

No. 4.
Your post was really hard to read.

Any one provide a goodle Singlish translator link? Can?

don't talk **** la. i only know when we spend money,we all want the best deal don't we. and i don't think anyone in the right mind goes to a shop wanting the test the guy's patience. As long as he is honest and good service,why will anyone be hard on them. Usually is bad service that triggers the customer. only once a while some anal customer will be harder to handle which i agree.

and what's with your article...so hard to read.

If the saleman can't catch up in time, then he should consider changing job.

Apologies to international readers. The Singlish post is intended for Singaporeans because the story is mainly in Singapore context.

For the benefit of international readers, I have summarised the OP in one concise sentence:

Essentially, services offered by camera salesman in Singapore cannot keep pace with consumer expectations, which are driven by viral marketing on the internet.

Last edited:
Apologies to international readers. The Singlish post is intended for Singaporeans because the story is mainly in Singapore context.

For the benefit of international readers, I have summarised the OP in one concise sentence:

Essentially, services offered by camera salesman in Singapore cannot keep pace with consumer expectations, which are driven by viral marketing on the internet.

That goes the same for many lines of work... e.g. the PC industry. Isn't that worse? New cards, new chipsets come out every month. But a lot of shop owners are still keeping up with the latest advancements.

I cannot agree with you. Its their job. They have to find time to read up. I work part-time in apple centre some couple of years ago. I am a PC user and i know nuts about mac. I read a lot of information from online sources, use the laptop/desktop on display and get myself familiar with the OS whenever I have time. I do not want to embarrass myself in front of those mac fanatics who know mac inside out.

This is part of the job. Will you buy insurance from someone who know nuts about the insurance plans he is selling? Same logic apply to ALL sales and services line.

Thanks for the Coles notes! The OP was way too long! :)

lol.. I like your humour.. =)

Scary siah. I have just been informed.

Even superstar photographer like Mister Rockwell kenna criticism from people. Click here

What more can u expect from ordinary camera salesman?

Sibeh ho, wa su kar ji gek post.:thumbsup:

Dam si mm si kom liao bor tio, ai tam jiak tio ai ouk..boh pian ee mah..
Salesman Kor lian tio lar, Han qin ar ni pia liao kor mai ouk ar zua tam jaik, tio bor!:bsmilie:

on the contrary i find most salesman familiar and up to speed with latest models and technologies... they are by no means deficient.

well at least those people that i talk to.

Status
Not open for further replies.