Have checks in place to ensure broadband speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

billpepsi

Jan 2, 2005
The 3rd Rock
Anyone else encounter slow Singnet Broadband???

-----------
http://digital.asiaone.com.sg/news/20070212_002.html

Have checks in place to ensure broadband speed
- 12 Feb, 2007
The Straits Times

I RECENTLY had SingNet Broadband 10Mbps installed and was surprised that my maximum download bandwidth was a mere 3Mbps. The installation technician was clueless so I had to call the SingNet helpdesk. During our conversation, the helpdesk technician tried to convince me my line was okay, I had the right speed and nothing was wrong. Thirty minutes of troubleshooting and tests later, I managed to convince him there was a problem. He finally arranged for a SingNet technician to come down.

Understandably, I suspect he had merely gone through a checklist, but the approach is likely to convince others nothing is wrong.

I was lucky I noticed the irregularities straightaway. I shudder to think of other SingNet Broadband customers who don't realise what they get is not as fast as what they paid for. I urge SingNet Broadband customers to verify their broadband speed.

SingNet, as a service provider, needs to formulate a system of checks so that the service is pre-verified for the customer. A mentality of quality assurance should be adopted rather than one of reaction to complaints.

On an interesting technical note, the maximum ADSL broadband speed one can safely achieve is limited by how near one is to SingNet's infrastructure.

For example, to achieve 25Mbps (SingNet's fastest line), one must be less than 300m from a SingNet digital subscriber line access multiplexer (DSLAM).

Can SingNet guarantee a DSLAM within 300m of every potential 25Mbps customer?

Calvine Chew Chee How

how to check for internet speed?

Anyone else encounter slow Singnet Broadband???

I recently had some issues when I switched over to MIO Plan with a 10Mbps ADSL and discovered some interesting things when they came over to fix the line.

First off I have to say that there wasn't any issues with the plan or their configurations; the issues I faced was caused by a freak accident where wire connections in two locations were burnt out. Once these wires were replaced, the line started working fine again.

What I found out during the technician's visit was that slow DSL speeds are sometimes caused by poor quality/old/faulty wiring in a subscribers home. Everything may be working fine in lower speeds, but once you go beyond 3.5Mbps, any small faults become magnified. Furthermore, the fault does not need to be on the wire that your DSL modem is directly connected to, the fault could be on an extension line.

The technician that came over was quite systematic and when he tested the line, he checked to be sure that the signal at my doorstep was capable of 10Mbps. Once in however, he discovered that my computer was only able to hit 4Mbps. In a few more minutes of checking he narrowed the fault down to an extension cable and once that was disabled, got the whole line running - at 13Mbps.

What is important to note is that my lines were relatively new, I had all my electrical, television, telephone and data cables changed 3 years ago and whilst the quality of the telephone line was good enough for 3.5Mbps, it crapped-out on me when I upgraded to 10Mbps.

I was initially angry with Singnet and Singtel for the failed service and their slow responses to my request for help, but after the nice troubleshooting work carried out by their technician, I am now quite satisfied. Their technician went beyond the call of duty to troubleshoot my home lines as he was only required to ensure that the signal reaching my doorstep was up to standard; the wiring beyond doorsteps was the responsibility of the owner.

So, if your DSL line isn't up to par, try getting a qualified technician in to troubleshoot your lines. You may be directing your frustration at the wrong people.

BTW, I do not work for Singnet or Singtel, they can't afford to pay me. :bsmilie:

_

sometimes my fren take very long to reply my MSN messger. slow leh :bsmilie:

I recently had some issues when I switched over to MIO Plan with a 10Mbps ADSL and discovered some interesting things when they came over to fix the line.

First off I have to say that there wasn't any issues with the plan or their configurations; the issues I faced was caused by a freak accident where wire connections in two locations were burnt out. Once these wires were replaced, the line started working fine again.

What I found out during the technician's visit was that slow DSL speeds are sometimes caused by poor quality/old/faulty wiring in a subscribers home. Everything may be working fine in lower speeds, but once you go beyond 3.5Mbps, any small faults become magnified. Furthermore, the fault does not need to be on the wire that your DSL modem is directly connected to, the fault could be on an extension line.

The technician that came over was quite systematic and when he tested the line, he checked to be sure that the signal at my doorstep was capable of 10Mbps. Once in however, he discovered that my computer was only able to hit 4Mbps. In a few more minutes of checking he narrowed the fault down to an extension cable and once that was disabled, got the whole line running - at 13Mbps.

What is important to note is that my lines were relatively new, I had all my electrical, television, telephone and data cables changed 3 years ago and whilst the quality of the telephone line was good enough for 3.5Mbps, it crapped-out on me when I upgraded to 10Mbps.

I was initially angry with Singnet and Singtel for the failed service and their slow responses to my request for help, but after the nice troubleshooting work carried out by their technician, I am now quite satisfied. Their technician went beyond the call of duty to troubleshoot my home lines as he was only required to ensure that the signal reaching my doorstep was up to standard; the wiring beyond doorsteps was the responsibility of the owner.

So, if your DSL line isn't up to par, try getting a qualified technician in to troubleshoot your lines. You may be directing your frustration at the wrong people.

BTW, I do not work for Singnet or Singtel, they can't afford to pay me. :bsmilie:

_

Just to check with you.

When you are talking about the extension cable, are you referring to the cable that connects the modem into the telephone wall socket?

Crap... I'm on a 5MB broadband access and I'm only accesing about 3.1MB

hhhmmm.... not sure whether would changing my phone wire help or not.

Just to check with you.

When you are talking about the extension cable, are you referring to the cable that connects the modem into the telephone wall socket?

Crap... I'm on a 5MB broadband access and I'm only accesing about 3.1MB

hhhmmm.... not sure whether would changing my phone wire help or not.

No, no, not the short cable that connects the modem to the wall socket. I'm actually referring to additional phone lines connected to the main line of the house that allow you use additional wired phones with the same number. All it takes is for one of these lines, or possibly the main line, to have a single bad wire, for it to introduce enough signal noise to affect your broadband speeds. The faulty wire may not affect the quality of voice calls and may enable you to get upto 4Mbps, but will keep you from reaching the higher speeds.

You may want to try getting a lines technician in to check your line. Call the helpdesk and tell them you are not getting the speed you're paying for and they will usually offer to send someone down to test your line. :)

_

starhub cable using thick coax will reduce poor wiring problems significantly. :D
slow net? disconnection? :dunno: what's that? haven't experienced it for years liao. :bsmilie:

ups for singnet's "dedicated bandwidth" :thumbsup:10Mbps dedicated, 3Mbps committed :bsmilie:

ups for singnet's "dedicated bandwidth" :thumbsup:10Mbps dedicated, 3Mbps committed :bsmilie:

Yeah, I pay for 10Mbps at the price of 5Mbps and get 11Mbps-13Mbps (after they fixed the lines), I think that's a pretty good bargin. :devil:

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the speed doesn't drop at any time of the day, regardless of how many people in my neighborhood are surfing/gaming/downloading/emailing. :bsmilie:

_

that's great! but hope you don't get any dropped lines. Cause I've never gotten any of those in my years with the green pipe. :bsmilie: slightly slower better than NO connection at all ;p

:think:maybe should say NO connection better than having lines dropping every now and then. :devil:

I remember just some time back you were complaining about frequent line dropping from singnet.. too lazy to dig that post out already. ;)

edit: Anyway, I use my internet for chatting more often than gaming. So high speed access is not a must for me. I started with the lowest bandwidth available and was upgraded to the current 6.5mbps.

I totally know how it feels to be connected, start a chat and while happily chatting away, the window goes silent.. then.. you find yourself signed out of msn because there's no internet connection. Repeat the above process every 5-10mins.

hehehe... That belongs to HISTORY~~ wahaha

I remember just some time back you were complaining about frequent line dropping from singnet.. too lazy to dig that post out already. ;)

Yep, I had a looooong post about some disconnection issues, but it wasn't a complain :)

In that post, I was trying to explain the need for persistance and good manners in order to solve an irritating problem (look at the last few paragraphs). Once I got the techies down to confirm it was a backoffice issue, I stopped having disconnection issues. My rescent issues with Singnet was caused by a burnt out out line and a faulty extension wire. ;)

For reference, the post you were referring to is this one:

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost.php?p=2293095&postcount=57

It was a part of this thread:

Singnet Boardband having problem again?

_

Yep, I had a looooong post about some disconnection issues, but it wasn't a complain :)

In that post, I was trying to explain the need for persistance and good manners in order to solve an irritating problem (look at the last few paragraphs). Once I got the techies down to confirm it was a backoffice issue, I stopped having disconnection issues. My rescent issues with Singnet was caused by a burnt out out line and a faulty extension wire. ;)

For reference, the post you were referring to is this one:

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost.php?p=2293095&postcount=57

It was a part of this thread:

Singnet Boardband having problem again?

_
oh yah that's the one.

Status
Not open for further replies.