Have anyone tired -> raynox 250 + 105mm micro + tc 1.4 + 36mm extension tube?

kol1te

Aug 16, 2005
Singapore
hi, just wondering will this setup works? :bsmilie:

regards, chee keong

Thanks for the reply, bro.

Similar but not the same. :) by the way, thanks for your previous reply, got busy and forgot to check.

Interested to find out anyone used such a setup with a macro lens. Wonder if still able to get sharp clear shots?

Cheers.

Thanks for the reply, bro.

Similar but not the same. :) by the way, thanks for your previous reply, got busy and forgot to check.

Interested to find out anyone used such a setup with a macro lens. Wonder if still able to get sharp clear shots?

Cheers.

It will still produce good image but don't expect it to produce exactly same sharpness as the original macro lens because of more elements being added to the equation. The TC alone would confirm result in certain image degration and reduction in light (by a certain number of stops) and the Raynox would also further degrade the image quality.

But you can have very very high magnification with this type of setup, just that it will not be very easy to use and you would lose all forms of autofocus and also to focus to infinity. Next you would need to pull the lens very very close to your subject, and if the subject is insect, it will be very difficult not to disturb the insect.

So one advice is, don't use this type of setup... and if die die want to try, then also invest in a jig (to carry two or more external flashes) or dedicated flash system - prepare for very long exposure if you do not have flashes, a macro rail on your tripod (remember, you have to move your lens in and out because autofocus is not available and you cannot focus to infinity), etc. What I would suggest is that you loose your 1.4x TC and just use a raynox and extension tube or simply just extension tube or raynox. Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Yup, it helps! Thank you!

Been trying get a really close up shot. TC and tube helped, but doesn't seems enough. Hence looking at all sorts of combo. Understand it will be harder to handle and definitely want to avoid big drop in IQ. :) play around with I have and practice practice practice. Perhaps drop TC, combine all 3 pieces of tubes and try again.

Out of curiosity... how close to you want to get from your subject. If you have another lens (preferably prime lens) you could try the reverse lens technique using your 105mm lens as a primary lens.

P1010011.JPG

IMG_6331.JPG

IMG_6285.JPG

IMG_6276.jpg

Ha, I do not want to knock the subject with the lens. :) I have a 50mm f1.8, might try it out.

It will still produce good image but don't expect it to produce exactly same sharpness as the original macro lens because of more elements being added to the equation. The TC alone would confirm result in certain image degration and reduction in light (by a certain number of stops) and the Raynox would also further degrade the image quality.

But you can have very very high magnification with this type of setup, just that it will not be very easy to use and you would lose all forms of autofocus and also to focus to infinity. Next you would need to pull the lens very very close to your subject, and if the subject is insect, it will be very difficult not to disturb the insect.

So one advice is, don't use this type of setup... and if die die want to try, then also invest in a jig (to carry two or more external flashes) or dedicated flash system - prepare for very long exposure if you do not have flashes, a macro rail on your tripod (remember, you have to move your lens in and out because autofocus is not available and you cannot focus to infinity), etc. What I would suggest is that you loose your 1.4x TC and just use a raynox and extension tube or simply just extension tube or raynox. Hope it helps.

Where can I get a macro rail? Been to several shops but could not find one that sells it.
thanks!

Last edited:
cws77 said:
Where can I get a macro rail? Been to several shops but could not find one that sells it.
thanks!

Can try ARTWORKFOTO