Have Any body fungus infect experience?

Calven Loh

Mar 26, 2016
May any body know fungus infect lance and censor can be remove or repair? after remove will be coming back again or will it damage sensor or lance coating?
some time buy second hand lance worried about it may fungus infect before...

First of all, our cameras have a sensor and a lens. (A lance is a weapon of medieval ages and censors are something in countries with limited freedom of press.)
Fungus infections on camera sensors can be cleaned, they usually only appear on the surface. Fungus in lenses are more difficult to clean since it usually appears between the lens elements. In order to clean these areas, the lens has to be dismantled, cleaned and reassembled. Newer lenses also tend to have lens groups held together by glue or other means, which makes cleaning more difficult.
Best to avoid fungus right from the beginning: if not used, keep your equipment in a dry cabinet within the recommended relative humidity (usually ~50%). Best of course: use your equipment. The exposure to sunlight keeps fungus away.
If a previous fungus infection was properly cleaned and the equipment is kept in good condition then there is nothing to worry.

Reactions: Calven Loh
I had 3 lenses with fungus before, during my film days almost 20 years. think because they have been io different countries with vast climatic changes and I did not put in a dry cabinet for 2-3 months and it happened. I brought them to be cleaned and one of them got infected when out of cabinet for a month. so need to keep them in a dry cabinet when not in use. I guess newer lenses that are weather sealed maybe less likely to get fungus, but always keep in dry cabinet, better be safe than sorry.

fungus can be removed an cleaned. If left on for a long time fungus secretes acid that can leave glass permanently scarred. so it really depends on how badly and how long it is. fungus spores are everywhere so the inly way to prevent its growth is to makr sure conditions are not ideal for it to grow (dry or lots of uv, ie dry cabinate an lots of use).

I still remember what the camera whisperer told me about fungus. He told me these are the 3 conditions for them to grow.
1) Still air - if you dont use camera for a long time, still air.
2) Dark
3) Humidity - nothing we can do about this except put in dry cabinet

RH maybe difficult to set so many 50%-60% should be ok. My dry cabinet always hovering around 55%..