Have a question with winzip

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jason H0

I am using win zip to zip out my very big pictures files into my harddisk. Afraid that the harddisk will clash so i think of copying the zipped files into a CD. Money not enough to buy a DVD burner so i have to made do with the normal CD burning. Question as you know CD has a maximum space of 700MB, how do i squeeze my one piece zipped file if it is greater than 700MB in size into a few CDs while still perserving the workingness of the zipped file. Thanks for helping me answer my puzzle. Thanks again.

you are referring to disk spanning. not sure if winzip can do it or how, but arj etc can.

Alternatively, you can remove some files from ur zip archive.

btw, if you're zipping up jpegs, it's not worth the trouble. jpegs are already compressed.

Winzip can do spanning but zipping jpg is not going to make much difference in the file size.

Can i spanning over multiple CDs then? Cannot find such option in my win zip software. Or it is such feature only find in licensed version? My requirement is not to compress the size but to have one single file zipped out consisting of many files. This is to reduce the multiple IO operational of the harddisks.

jbma said:
Winzip can do spanning but zipping jpg is not going to make much difference in the file size.

for WinRAR, you can specify the RAR file size to be 650MB or 700MB each, or according to your preference.

The others are right, not worth the trouble to compress jpegs, just fill the up the CD organised by folder, or fill up as much space as possible, easier to manage than RAR/ZIPs

using winzip classic (not wizard), you can actually goto:
Actions >> Split >> (then look at the left bottom corner of the pop up window)

from there, you can define what size you want each division of the zip file to be. i've never tried it though, but i believe you will need all the "portions" to piece the zip file back together again :dunno:

but then again, i wouldnt forsake the advice from the others...
CD-Rs are almost as cheap as biscuits... and compressing a jpeg further makes little sense...
good luck!

IMHO Not worth the risk. If one spanning file is corrupted then the whole thing becomes useless. Don't take this risk if this is your only backup dude.

jbma said:
IMHO Not worth the risk. If one spanning file is corrupted then the whole thing becomes useless. Don't take this risk if this is your only backup dude.

good point! putting all your eggs in one basket is never quite a good idea :)

points noted. it is better to copy files individually to CD than via one big single piece. Thanks many who respond.

LiOnElLiN said:
good point! putting all your eggs in one basket is never quite a good idea :)

No problem. Just want to share with you my backup strategy. I backup my photos on to a USB hard disk (80 GB) and I also burn it on a DVD RW. DVD RW can be re-written about 1000 times. I learn the hard way when my HD crash. Now if it crash I just smile :bsmilie:

try those 870mb cdr meant for overburning.

what difference is this from the normal 700MB CDR other than the MB different. Thanks.

clive said:
try those 870mb cdr meant for overburning.

oh..that means your document is bigger than 870mb..mmm then..theres a program called "file splitter" dunno if u tried it b4..supposedly it splits the file up into chunks nicely 4u..then u can always join them back as n when u like...this file splitter thing i only heard of it b4..but if really can find it, then can try it b4 u burn out on2 cd lor ;-)

Jason H0 said:
what difference is this from the normal 700MB CDR other than the MB different. Thanks.

CD overburning is even put your data/media/cdrw at risk. If for files backup purpose, I agreed that, organise with proper folder naming and just copy/burn it to CDs. Get those reliable CD media, ie. Sony for reliable burning.

"Restore is as important as Backup."

is this the sofware u refer to ?

http://www.cracks.am/d.x?34045
http://www.softdd.com/filesplt/index.htm

very useful program to share with.

clive said:
oh..that means your document is bigger than 870mb..mmm then..theres a program called "file splitter" dunno if u tried it b4..supposedly it splits the file up into chunks nicely 4u..then u can always join them back as n when u like...this file splitter thing i only heard of it b4..but if really can find it, then can try it b4 u burn out on2 cd lor ;-)

Try powerarchiver. Link below:

http://www.powerarchiver.com/

Much better than winzip:

1. Allow u to select multiple zip files and extract all at once.

2. Split existing zip files into multiple volumes or create a new zip with multiple volumes.

3. bulit in support for a lot of compression formats (lzh, rar, tar, tar.gz, arj, arc, etc.) other than zip.

Try it out urself to see. I have dropped winzip after using it.

Regards
DarkSpade

is powerarchiver the one that SAF uses? coz some months back they implement new policy to disallow the use of winzip, for security reasons

Status
Not open for further replies.