Has anyone came across the illegal Starhub setup box saga?

sbq3162

Sep 5, 2007
Singapore
Just wonder the recent spate of postings in FB about the illegal Starhub setup box that Starhub is doing the check on 30 & 31 Aug, has anyone came across being caught? Or was it another 'virtual' scaring tactic by the authority?

If the prices of the package is reasonable, there wouldn't have these illegal boxes surfaced in Singapore. Starhub and Singtel should do a check and compare with the other countries if the prices are too much for the residents.....

:confused:

If the prices of the package is reasonable, there wouldn't have these illegal boxes surfaced in Singapore. Starhub and Singtel should do a check and compare with the other countries if the prices are too much for the residents.....

For some, anything not free is charging too much.

Just wonder the recent spate of postings in FB about the illegal Starhub setup box that Starhub is doing the check on 30 & 31 Aug, has anyone came across being caught? Or was it another 'virtual' scaring tactic by the authority?

If you try hard enough, can find them.
Did not buy.
Don't want unnecessary trouble.
This explains why sometimes Starhub kills its transmission.
Requiring you to remove the smartcard from your set top box and insert it again.
They are doing a recoding to beat these pirate set top boxes.

The August 30 and 31 thing was total rubbish. The only thing that will help is when Starhub changes their encryption in October.

if is watching BPL, just use streaming
good enough :)

I hope all those using the pirate box get caught.

They saying no transmitter so wont be caught since canot detect?..

They saying no transmitter so wont be caught since canot detect?..

The set top box is essentially a PC running an operating system known as OpenTV (which is closed source). It must identify itself before receiving transmission, and hence must engage in two way comma with the provider's servers.

The set top box is essentially a PC running an operating system known as OpenTV (which is closed source). It must identify itself before receiving transmission, and hence must engage in two way comma with the provider's servers.

Well yah I agree, if wan catch sure can catch one way or another, just like bittorrenting..

Actually no. The channels are always broadcast via the cable. There is no need to request for transmission.

Actually no. The channels are always broadcast via the cable. There is no need to request for transmission.

Silly of them to stream it in the clear. Easily can be encrypted.

Silly of them to stream it in the clear. Easily can be encrypted.
No, what Rashkae meant is: the channels are always broadcasted, encrypted. Everyone can receive them and decrypt, the decoder does not need to send anything back to the broadcasting station.

No, what Rashkae meant is: the channels are always broadcasted, encrypted. Everyone can receive them and decrypt, the decoder does not need to send anything back to the broadcasting station.

Correct. It's just that the current encryption is weak and the illegal decoder boxes can easily decrypt the signal. Starhub will be switching to a tougher encryption in October though

About time... root out piracy... it's not life or death stuff. If one doesn't have money for cable, stick to free to air TV.

But there should be real competition to bring down price and not expect users to pay for their "mistakes"

Last edited:
SH says current box will not be able to unscramble the new signals, so gotta wait for new pirate decoders?..lol

Feels like reading abt Iphone Jailbreak..lol

They are deluding themselves. Pirates are always one step ahead. Its only a matter of time

SH says current box will not be able to unscramble the new signals, so gotta wait for new pirate decoders?..lol
Feels like reading abt Iphone Jailbreak..lol
Seems they use such old or underperformed hardware so that newer encryption standards cannot be used. One way of keeping costs low. Reminds me on the ST mio modems: when using WPA2 as Wifi encryption standard the connections drop intermittent, or stops completely. After some time (maybe chip has to cool down) it comes back for a short time. Using WEP will not show this issue, but security is gone.

They are deluding themselves. Pirates are always one step ahead. Its only a matter of time

the best way is to just go after the consumer lor... charge one of the consumer end user prirate... singaporeans kiasi so that might work...

hope my old HD setup box can decrypt the new encryption.... I got that box FREE from starhub when I signed up for HD trial years ago so I dont have to pay HD box rental fee... now because of pirates I might need to rent a new setup box...