Harsh comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

StanGetz

Mar 29, 2005
stangetz82.multiply.com
Hi guys, had a try out at Kranji memorial place.....extracted some of the pics...Very overcast...Tink colors r too dull...pls do give some harsh critiques (composition, exposure etc)...Still learning....Thanks!!

P1010673.jpg

P1010677.jpg

P1010701.jpg

P1010721.jpg

P1010744.jpg

Did you use any Polariser filter? If you didn't, I think you should try it again with a Polariser filter next time when you are there to try out.

Overall, the exposure seems ok to me, it is just the weather I believe, it is not the fault of the man behind the camera. :)

Another way is to use EV- for overcast compensation, that might turn out better.

If you do not need bokeh, try to set your f-stop to a higher value, so that the aperture will not open so wide to take in the amount of undesired sunlight.

What is the ISO that you are setting? maybe can lower the ISO as well.

JimDavis said:
Did you use any Polariser filter? If you didn't, I think you should try it again with a Polariser filter next time when you are there to try out.

Overall, the exposure seems ok to me, it is just the weather I believe, it is not the fault of the man behind the camera. :)

Another way is to use EV- for overcast compensation, that might turn out better.

If you do not need bokeh, try to set your f-stop to a higher value, so that the aperture will not open so wide to take in the amount of undesired sunlight.

What is the ISO that you are setting? maybe can lower the ISO as well.
Thanks for the comments. Din use a polariser tink i shd get one soon. ISO is 80. Still noisy i tink.....was tink shd i set to CLOUDY mode next time.....still unsure of wat type of metering or focus mode to use....guess both will affect my pics too.

EV is set to -1/3 for most pic....used spot metering and focus mode...maybe wrong choice.

Once again thanks alot!= )

If you are using spot metering then you had spot at the wrong point i suppose.
and for the aperture you are using mostly F4 which I will seldom use.

For shooting anything at ground level and below do avoid -ev...imo.
for #7 and #8 it is way too under i think, unless you got correct metering by looking at histogram else using -ev will spoil your photo.

lastly for the harsh comments...you also need to improve compositions!
myself..still very bad at it.

StanGetz said:
Thanks for the comments. Din use a polariser tink i shd get one soon. ISO is 80. Still noisy i tink.....was tink shd i set to CLOUDY mode next time.....still unsure of wat type of metering or focus mode to use....guess both will affect my pics too.

EV is set to -1/3 for most pic....used spot metering and focus mode...maybe wrong choice.

I think -1/3 is a little too much. That's why the pictures look a little too under exposed. I presume that you were having this shoot somewhere in the morning right? You can try changing your EV back to 0 & see the difference.

I tweaked one of your pic a little. What I'm trying to show is that if you're not completely satisfied with the original pic, you can still salvage it a little by PSing (Levels & curves). Couldn't save the sky though... Too little info there.

39249382-L.jpg

But of course, if the original pic is already satisfactory, you can save a lot of time on your comp & take more pics... ;)

On another note, based on the weather you can experiment with other kinds of "feel" to the pic too... Here's another changed to B&W. (I prefer this one actually;p )

39249703-L.jpg

Hope this helps.

Oh yah, let me know if you don't like the pics, I will take it down immediately.

Cheers bro! :devil:

dominator said:
If you are using spot metering then you had spot at the wrong point i suppose.
and for the aperture you are using mostly F4 which I will seldom use.

For shooting anything at ground level and below do avoid -ev...imo.
for #7 and #8 it is way too under i think, unless you got correct metering by looking at histogram else using -ev will spoil your photo.

lastly for the harsh comments...you also need to improve compositions!
myself..still very bad at it.
Hi dom, thanks alot. I was thinking composition is out too.....much more to learn.
I tink i will set back EV to 0. Will try again.
As for spot metering, i guess it works by focusing it on an object(usually subject matter)to calculate the proper exposure, rite? correct me if im wrong.
Still nt very sure wat the diff types of metering and focus r for...therefore tink i c**k up the photos. haha. hope for some enlightnement in this aspect. thanks!!

natnivek said:
I think -1/3 is a little too much. That's why the pictures look a little too under exposed. I presume that you were having this shoot somewhere in the morning right? You can try changing your EV back to 0 & see the difference.

I tweaked one of your pic a little. What I'm trying to show is that if you're not completely satisfied with the original pic, you can still salvage it a little by PSing (Levels & curves). Couldn't save the sky though... Too little info there.

39249382-L.jpg

But of course, if the original pic is already satisfactory, you can save a lot of time on your comp & take more pics... ;)

On another note, based on the weather you can experiment with other kinds of "feel" to the pic too... Here's another changed to B&W. (I prefer this one actually;p )

39249703-L.jpg

Hope this helps.

Oh yah, let me know if you don't like the pics, I will take it down immediately.

Cheers bro! :devil:
Hi nat, thanks for ur comments too. It was actually taken ard 430-6pm...by the sky was reali cloudy....patch of grey with little blue.

Yes i dun mind u editing the photos....we can see diff feel which diff photos give. Ur b&w is kinda eerie..haha

Do feell free to give more comments. I need to brush up man! thanks!

I like #2. Nice colors at the base of the drab tombstone. Not sure if it's physically possible, but it would have been nice to see a bigger difference in angle between the row of tombstones in the foreground and the back.

Just my two cents worth

StanGetz said:

My recommendation other than Polariser:

1. Don't set to spot metering, it is not a good choice to use spot metering on landscape photos unless you have big contrast, and are well verse with the exposure tricks, where you know the result that oyu are getting, else, many a time, it will end up with disasterous shots.

2. Try to use Aperture Priority instead. This will give you more room in controlling the exposure. Cloudy mode or not, it is basically a pre-set mode where f-stop and shutter speeds are program and pre-fixed, your camera does not always make the right judgement about exposure, you need to tell your camera what you want.

3. I am surprise that by using ISO 80, it is still noisy. Have you checked your pic quality setting? Maybe you are not setting to a fine quality, where the photos quality are poor, resulted in a lot of noise.

Finally, always remember, a good exposure is always basing on the following factors: f-stop, shuttle speed and ISO.

At time, to bring the subject out of its shadow cast, you may even need to apply fill flash.

Hope the above help. :)

Read more, get your theory foundation right, and then snap more. I am sure you can do much better in no time. :)

Hi Jim, appreciated all that help!

Ive set picture quality to the FINE max resolution, next level is TIFF le. One thing which im surprised is that each photo takes up bout 1.6-1.9MB per pic. kinda weird for a 5MP DC. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, the pic i see on the DC LCD is much brighter and contrasty than wat i see on the PC monitor. What could have cause this? Use adobe gamma adjust? I did but not significantly better. Furthermore I had set DC LCD brightness to -1 notch down from 0.

I think i start next with the most basic metering mode(multiple) and 9-area focusing mode. As for aperature, bigger f-stop(2.8) allows more light in and smaller f-stop vice versa rite? As for a normal afternoon I presume f4-6 is reasonable?

Lastly may i know where i can find out more info on the different metering and focusing modes for my FZ5. I tried findin in the forum, not much detail info. Feel paiseh keep asking such qns in the forums.

Thanks all of you for ur patience and help. I greatly appreciately. Hope if there is future meetup like b4. Thanks once again!

sedentary said:
I like #2. Nice colors at the base of the drab tombstone. Not sure if it's physically possible, but it would have been nice to see a bigger difference in angle between the row of tombstones in the foreground and the back.

Just my two cents worth
HI thanks for the comments. A bigger angle wud be possible if the behind slab is on much higher ground.....den it will be a bigger angle...

Or perhaps its juz me....haha!

LCD is normally brighter.

As for dull color, I am not sure if you have checked your white balance setting?

Maybe you want to calibrate your camera's white balance.

As for f-stop, there are a lot of factors you will need to consider when you set.

Setting wide open aperture can allow more light to come in. If you are setting f/2.8, the DOF will be shallow. If you are setting F/8 to f/11, the you will have a good DOF.

Hence, there is no right or wrong setting. It depends on what you want to achieve.

Giving an example, you are taking an old man's photo in Tibet, and the old man is leaning against a big wall. Do you need to set f/2.8 to achieve bokeh/shallow DOF? Chances are not, right? :)

Try the calibration of your camera's white balance setting, coupled with a CP filter, and the suggestion given above, go and make another attempts, maybe, the result will be more satisfactory. :)

JimDavis said:
LCD is normally brighter.

As for dull color, I am not sure if you have checked your white balance setting?

Maybe you want to calibrate your camera's white balance.

As for f-stop, there are a lot of factors you will need to consider when you set.

Setting wide open aperture can allow more light to come in. If you are setting f/2.8, the DOF will be shallow. If you are setting F/8 to f/11, the you will have a good DOF.

Hence, there is no right or wrong setting. It depends on what you want to achieve.

Giving an example, you are taking an old man's photo in Tibet, and the old man is leaning against a big wall. Do you need to set f/2.8 to achieve bokeh/shallow DOF? Chances are not, right? :)

Try the calibration of your camera's white balance setting, coupled with a CP filter, and the suggestion given above, go and make another attempts, maybe, the result will be more satisfactory. :)
Okie sure. juz to ask, white balance i left it on auto .if were to calibrate r u meaning to keep that calibrated setting for all future shots? and hw shd i calibrate? sorry i reaali am nt sure thus al this qns...

A CP, i believe it cant be used as cover to protect my DC lens rite? it mostly wun be suitable under dark lighting....correct? then again, a CP or a LP(linear). thanks!

StanGetz said:
Okie sure. juz to ask, white balance i left it on auto .if were to calibrate r u meaning to keep that calibrated setting for all future shots? and hw shd i calibrate? sorry i reaali am nt sure thus al this qns...

A CP, i believe it cant be used as cover to protect my DC lens rite? it mostly wun be suitable under dark lighting....correct? then again, a CP or a LP(linear). thanks!

You will need to have a white cardboard to do so. I am sure your camera's user manual will teach you on how to calibrate your white balance.

If once you set it and find that it is satisfactory, you should use it for future as well.

As for CP, yes, it is like what you said. I used to stack the CP on top of a UV filter, so that where light source is insufficient, I can just remove the CP filter, and leave the UV filter to protect the lens. Should get CP, not linear, if you want to get a polariser.

JimDavis said:
You will need to have a white cardboard to do so. I am sure your camera's user manual will teach you on how to calibrate your white balance.

If once you set it and find that it is satisfactory, you should use it for future as well.

As for CP, yes, it is like what you said. I used to stack the CP on top of a UV filter, so that where light source is insufficient, I can just remove the CP filter, and leave the UV filter to protect the lens. Should get CP, not linear, if you want to get a polariser.
okie dokie! thanks alot for all ur help Jim

eh.. unless you calibrate your monitor, don't think you should bother comparing LCD to monitor.
It makes huge difference. at least, set your contrast to 100%, and set your brightness to a level where the edge of the screen is just nicely black...

that makes a huge difference.
IMHO, that should be done before you start editing your photos/comparing/looking at photos.

unseen said:
eh.. unless you calibrate your monitor, don't think you should bother comparing LCD to monitor.
It makes huge difference. at least, set your contrast to 100%, and set your brightness to a level where the edge of the screen is just nicely black...

that makes a huge difference.
IMHO, that should be done before you start editing your photos/comparing/looking at photos.
okie dokie.....i did dat! looks like its ok afterall....

StanGetz said:
erm forgot to add, i got a Hoya skylight filter 1B on....will it affect??

You go and take 2 photos: 1 with skylight and one without, then show us lar. Need to experiment mah...right? ;) :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.