Harper's Bazaar & Ion Photography Awards

Status
Not open for further replies.
why is everyone so negative? hmmm id say we give it a shot.... i know i am :p

why is everyone so negative? hmmm id say we give it a shot.... i know i am :p

not negative, just alerting you to the fact that:

a) you might not win
b) despite a, your photographs can still be used by the magazine for any purpose they deem
c) without you being compensated

this is so that no one is unhappy in future, since they will at least be aware of the facts a,b,c above.

ok thanks for sharing night86mare.

i didnt know bout that.

but no harm to try :p

Competition is NEVER fair, they are judged by human, what they like (based on their professionalism judging photographer's technique, exposure,etc) they just choose. What's the real meaning of "The Best"? Moreover u have no rights to your images. This contest just give those who are interested to shoot interior of ION with rights haha. Well just have fun bringing gears around this bldg & just shoot away haha. ;)

This is one of the few times you get to shoot in a shopping centre in Singapore what :p Just have fun shooting, don't even have to submit to the competition hahaha

This is one of the few times you get to shoot in a shopping centre in Singapore what :p Just have fun shooting, don't even have to submit to the competition hahaha
agree with Sabee on this ...

Harper's bazaar doesn't need your photos to sell trust me.
just open up any issue and you will see that if they wanted good photos they'll call up any of their photographers.

Take this good opportunity to try to get into this magazine, it's a good name to have on your CV

not negative, just alerting you to the fact that:

a) you might not win
b) despite a, your photographs can still be used by the magazine for any purpose they deem
c) without you being compensated

this is so that no one is unhappy in future, since they will at least be aware of the facts a,b,c above.

To be clear:

A is not a fact, just a supposition on your part;
B is also not a fact, just a supposition on your part;
C is true only if B is true.

Notwithstanding the above, as mattlock pointed out, exposure doesn't just mean that everyone in the world will run up to you and say, "hey, your photo in harper's was great!". It does mean you have a legitimate right to put it in your portfolio for your clients, talk about it in your cv, advertise that you were featured in harper's, etc.

Budding young pros might find the above worth it.

Notwithstanding the above, as mattlock pointed out, exposure doesn't just mean that everyone in the world will run up to you and say, "hey, your photo in harper's was great!". It does mean you have a legitimate right to put it in your portfolio for your clients, talk about it in your cv, advertise that you were featured in harper's, etc.

Budding young pros might find the above worth it.

i have the best answer to this one.

"just a supposition on your part" :bsmilie::bsmilie::thumbsup:

btw, b is NOT a supposition. a supposition is when i say that the magazine WILL use the photos even if they do not win. when i say CAN, i am referring to the ABILITY TO DO SO, and the magazine has the ability to do so, that is a FACT. time to brush up on your english..... ;)

don't even get me started on what "you might not win" means....... it is distinctively different from "you will not win"...!

obviously, you don't get any flow of the logic here - if you win, you are being compensated for the image in some sense. if you DO NOT win, and your works are featured, based on the rights line in the competition ad, harper's bazaar does not need to compensate you, they have the rights. obviously you know what i mean, but you have a bone to pick somehow. better not take previous arguments elsewhere too personally...... people who do that tend to end up the same way in the end..

if you didn't get the gist of the other posts i have made here, i'm not discouraging people to participate. what i am trying to do is MAKE SURE that people are CLEAR on what entry into the competition represents. as jungsangchoe pointed out, not everyone knows, and i thought there was absolutely nothing wrong in just stating some truths that may happen that people might not be able to stomach.

Last edited:
i have the best answer to this one.
"just a supposition on your part" :bsmilie::bsmilie::thumbsup:

btw, b is NOT a supposition. a supposition is when i say that the magazine WILL use the photos even if they do not win. when i say CAN, i am referring to the ABILITY TO DO SO, and the magazine has the ability to do so, that is a FACT. time to brush up on your english..... ;)

don't even get me started on what "you might not win" means....... it is distinctively different from "you will not win"...!

obviously, you don't get any flow of the logic here - if you win, you are being compensated for the image in some sense. if you DO NOT win, and your works are featured, based on the rights line in the competition ad, harper's bazaar does not need to compensate you, they have the rights. obviously you know what i mean, but you have a bone to pick somehow. better not take previous arguments elsewhere too personally...... people who do that tend to end up the same way in the end..

if you didn't get the gist of the other posts i have made here, i'm not discouraging people to participate. what i am trying to do is MAKE SURE that people are CLEAR on what entry into the competition represents. as jungsangchoe pointed out, not everyone knows, and i thought there was absolutely nothing wrong in just stating some truths that may happen that people might not be able to stomach.

Haha, time to let everyone see whose logic is correct then.

If "might" can be used as a fact, then you could say "it might rain today" and call it a fact, even if there's no rain at all.

If "might" can be used as a fact, then I should say "you might be gay" and call that a fact too. How does that sound?

I don't deny that there is a possibility of rain, but possibility <> fact. Obviously you'll never accept this, so let see whose understanding of "fact" is accepted by the majority here.

Last edited:
Haha, time to let everyone see whose logic is correct then.

If "might" can be used as a fact, then you could say "it might rain today" and call it a fact, even if there's no rain at all.

I don't deny that there is a possibility of rain, but possibility <> fact. Obviously you'll never accept this, so let see whose understanding of "fact" is accepted by the majority here.

it's not a war or a popularity contest. i urge you from refraining from becoming too bitter, fact is fact, that was not a supposition. or do you view this as a supposition as well? :)

the three lines in that "fact" come together, put together, they are a fact. let me explain this logic s l o w l y for you to understand:

1) if A does not win the competition (given this scenario)
2) the company in question, by means of that line in the ad has the ability to publish his images
3) the same company in question, also has the right to not bother compensating him

are you saying that the possibility of that happening is not a truth? if you say that it is truth, can truth not be fact? :) it is not as simple as it might rain today.. unless obviously, nothing more than a primitive concept can be addressed by your cognitive abilities.. in which case, there is nothing further to discuss, i apologise for losing you somewhere around part a.

have a nice day.

Last edited:
it's not a war or a popularity contest. i urge you from refraining from becoming too bitter, fact is fact, that was not a supposition. or do you view this as a supposition as well? :)

No it's not a popularity contest. But proposition and opposition will never agree. So let's see who is believed by the majority.

Facts are facts. Assertions are assertions. Hypotheses are hypothese. And suppositions are suppositions.

Don't twist one into another, or mix them up and call them facts.

Facts are facts. Assertions are assertions. Hypotheses are hypothese. And suppositions are suppositions.

Don't twist one into another, or mix them up and call them facts.

let me present you with the definition of a "fact":

a piece of information about circumstances that exist or events that have occurred; "first you must collect all the facts of the case"

good day, enough said.

kthxbai!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dudes... stop arguing and focus on the topic.

I would say, give it a try. If your works aren't seen at all, no matter how good you are, no one is going to buy your photos, and you'll always be stuck in a well waiting to get noticed.

If you get published and even if they don't credit you, you can take their magazine along with your working/raw file, put it in your portfolio, and show it to potential employers that that indeed is your photo.

If you don't get published, it just means that you are not good enough, or your photos aren't to their taste... research more on the judges' tastes, accept whatever experience you've gained, and better luck next time.

How often do chances like this come by? No risk, no gain.

here's another definition, just in case you disagree with the first one, and throw in self-perceived bombastic words to please yourself:

an event known to have happened or something known to have existed;

more?

A fact is a pragmatic truth, a statement that can, at least in theory, be checked and either confirmed or denied. ...

more?

a statement that can be PROVEN

more?

Information that has been objectively verified.

and just for your kind information, this is the definition of a supposition.

if you want to get anal, then you'd best make sure you'd gotten it right the first time, else you look like you have yolk all over your face.

supposition [&#716;s&#652;p&#601;&#712;z&#618;&#643;&#601;n]
n
1. the act of supposing
2. a fact, theory, etc., that is supposed

like i said, good day. have fun reading up.

Dudes... stop arguing and focus on the topic.

my friend, i will not bow down to a person who has chosen to nitpick at a statement because of an argument elsewhere in another thread.

i detest such petty people, and obviously, the idea is deterrence, so that at least if he does so again in future, he will think twice because he might end up looking like a fool.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5822919#post5822919

cheers.

in any case, it's too late for him. :)

let me present you with the definition of a "fact":

a piece of information about circumstances that exist or events that have occurred; "first you must collect all the facts of the case"

good day, enough said.

kthxbai!!!!!!!!!!!!

"You might be gay." How's that for a fact?

"You might be an alien from mars". How's that for another fact?

Who accepts the above as facts?

Not many, I hope.

So how is the above different from, "you might not win the contest"? What makes your statement a fact? What circumstances exist in this statement to make it a fact? How different is your statement from the above two?

"You might be gay." How's that for a fact?

"You might be an alien from mars". How's that for another fact?

Who accepts the above as facts?

Not many, I hope.

So how is the above different from, "you might not win the contest"? What makes your statement a fact? What circumstances exist in this statement to make it a fact? How different is your statement from the above two?

strawman argument. ;) i did not claim that all stand-alone suppositions should be taken as facts.

let's see, i never said that a was not a supposition. and i always, always lumped a,b,c together. ;) please see former posts for more information.

nonetheless, taking a into account, b is a fact, not a supposition, contrary to what you said earlier. :) why have you not retracted that statement? trying to dodge the bullet?

as i said, you don't get it. i'm sorry that i lost you at a, because that's the only thing you seem to be focusing on, despite being utterly destroyed on all other counts. and even then, you fail. sorry for the misunderstanding, i should dumb down my posts specially for you in future. :)

Last edited:
anyways, taking lawrence's advice, i'm not going to bother clowning here with someone with a grudge.

you can post whatever you want here, i'm taking my leave. all i wished to do was to:

(a) provide information
(b) so that people can make the right , informed decision

i think at the very least, that's done. despite all the nonsense about "oh, is not a fact, is supposition". sounds like a teletubby episode, for crying out loud.

the next time you grind your axe again just for the sake of it, at the very least this thread will serve as a fine example of previous encounters. time to learn to stop taking everything online so personally! good day.

Status
Not open for further replies.