Hardisk Cloning

Status
Not open for further replies.

victorIIImd

Dec 4, 2006
Hi to all Tech Gurus! My laptop is running out with storage soon and Im planning to replace it with at least 160GB HDD. Any suggestion on how to do hard disk clonning so that I don't need to re-install all the softwares installed in my old hard disk? I've ask around and the cheapest cloning service is $60.

Thanks so much.

clone yourself. Use Norton Ghost. But you have to attach the new hard disk using an external casing.

clone yourself. Use Norton Ghost. But you have to attach the new hard disk using an external casing.

I don't think the hdd needs to be connected by hdd casing. Just burn ur backup image into dvds. Boot up with the new hdd in the laptop and run the norton ghost emergency disk then recover the image into ur new hdd.(they had something like this last time dunno whether still have now).I have used acronise and acronise is able to do the job. Also note that u have to format ur new hdd and set the partition size and filesystem(ntfs or fat 32) b4 recovery from image.

if u still got afew gb of space left in ur hdd...u can use partition magic to partition ur drive.... den use nortorn ghost and save e clone image 2 ur partitioned drived... den burn the image into dvd and clone from the dvd. :p .... understand it's laychay but at least u don need the external disk

Hi there,

I haver always used Ghost (various versions since 1999) but I have since found that Acronis is also quite good.

If you follow the suggestions above with either program, your problem will be solved.

Personally, I think it is a good idea to do a backup to an external device as a glitch in the transferr will cost you all.

Cheers :)

pop by Storage Study at Sim Lim Square.

afaik, it's behind Fuwell on the 4th floor.

they're giving away free DriveClone 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.