Hard Sell Tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Third Sunday

Jan 9, 2006
www.mikechee.com

Just wanted to share my bad experience, hope the awareness can help others avoid the unpleasant experience...

About a year ago, my mother – an elderly lady who is mentally unsound – strolled into True Yoga at Pacific Plaza. She was convinced by the sales staff to sign up for a package and she dutifully filled up the form as instructed. She did not make any payment however, because she obviously does not have any money (she is of unsound mind and one of the setbacks is that she is unable to manage her own money). She left the yoga centre shortly after and very quickly forgot about the whole thing (her dementia prevents her from remembering short term events).

For the last year or maybe more, she has been receiving threatening telephone calls from True Yoga, threatening that legal action will be taken against her because she is bound by a contract between herself and True Yoga. Each telephone call makes her extremely unstable and causes her to have insomnia and anxiety attacks. On at least two (maybe three) occasions, she had to be warded at SGH for observation. I called True Yoga up and asked to speak to someone in a supervisory role and explained that my mother’s mind does not function the same way as the rest of ours, and politely told them to stop pursuing the matter because she did not know what she was doing when she filled up the form, and she still does not know what has happened!

That was about a year ago and I had assumed that the matter was closed until my mother received a telephone call on 11th Dec 2006 regarding this matter. She then advised the caller to call me on my mobile phone. I then received a telephone call at about 1040h from a lady who introduced herself as a representative of True Yoga. When I tried to explain to her about my mother’s mental condition, she turned hostile and started raising her voice at me. At that point, she ironically told me very rudely that she was talking to me “very professionally” and that the telephone call was recorded because she was calling from a law firm. I explained that since she was calling from a law firm, she ought to be talking to my lawyer and not to me, and I asked for the name of her firm so that my lawyers can be in touch. She refused to give me the name of the firm and slammed the phone on me instead. When I called back about five minutes later, I asked the person who answered the phone if it was a law firm I was calling and she told me it was. I explained that I had received a telephone call earlier from this number and I needed the name of the firm so that my lawyer can be in touch. I was rudely informed that my lawyer ought to be smart enough to find out since I already had their telephone number. I then spoke to my lawyer and was advised not to pursue the matter any further and to refer to matter to him should the law firm call me again. My lawyer then called the number from which I received the telephone call, only to discover that the call originated from a debt-collection agency and not a law firm.

What bothers me is – if True Yoga is such a successful yoga centre, do they really have to chase down a mentally unsound elderly lady who has no money, just for one piece of business? How much business can she give anyway? Secondly, I am not an expert on the finer points of the law, but certainly it cannot be right for a debt-collection agency to misrepresent themselves as a law firm? My lawyer has already lodged a complaint against the debt-collection agency for misrepresenting themselves as lawyers but I still think True Yoga needs to be taken to task.

Anyone else experience this kind of persistent hard sell tactics?

Just wanted to share my bad experience, hope the awareness can help others avoid the unpleasant experience...

About a year ago, my mother – an elderly lady who is mentally unsound – strolled into True Yoga at Pacific Plaza. She was convinced by the sales staff to sign up for a package and she dutifully filled up the form as instructed. She did not make any payment however, because she obviously does not have any money (she is of unsound mind and one of the setbacks is that she is unable to manage her own money). She left the yoga centre shortly after and very quickly forgot about the whole thing (her dementia prevents her from remembering short term events).

For the last year or maybe more, she has been receiving threatening telephone calls from True Yoga, threatening that legal action will be taken against her because she is bound by a contract between herself and True Yoga. Each telephone call makes her extremely unstable and causes her to have insomnia and anxiety attacks. On at least two (maybe three) occasions, she had to be warded at SGH for observation. I called True Yoga up and asked to speak to someone in a supervisory role and explained that my mother’s mind does not function the same way as the rest of ours, and politely told them to stop pursuing the matter because she did not know what she was doing when she filled up the form, and she still does not know what has happened!

That was about a year ago and I had assumed that the matter was closed until my mother received a telephone call on 11th Dec 2006 regarding this matter. She then advised the caller to call me on my mobile phone. I then received a telephone call at about 1040h from a lady who introduced herself as a representative of True Yoga. When I tried to explain to her about my mother’s mental condition, she turned hostile and started raising her voice at me. At that point, she ironically told me very rudely that she was talking to me “very professionally” and that the telephone call was recorded because she was calling from a law firm. I explained that since she was calling from a law firm, she ought to be talking to my lawyer and not to me, and I asked for the name of her firm so that my lawyers can be in touch. She refused to give me the name of the firm and slammed the phone on me instead. When I called back about five minutes later, I asked the person who answered the phone if it was a law firm I was calling and she told me it was. I explained that I had received a telephone call earlier from this number and I needed the name of the firm so that my lawyer can be in touch. I was rudely informed that my lawyer ought to be smart enough to find out since I already had their telephone number. I then spoke to my lawyer and was advised not to pursue the matter any further and to refer to matter to him should the law firm call me again. My lawyer then called the number from which I received the telephone call, only to discover that the call originated from a debt-collection agency and not a law firm.

What bothers me is – if True Yoga is such a successful yoga centre, do they really have to chase down a mentally unsound elderly lady who has no money, just for one piece of business? How much business can she give anyway? Secondly, I am not an expert on the finer points of the law, but certainly it cannot be right for a debt-collection agency to misrepresent themselves as a law firm? My lawyer has already lodged a complaint against the debt-collection agency for misrepresenting themselves as lawyers but I still think True Yoga needs to be taken to task.

Simple issue

1) Produce to True Yoga the medical records of you Mom and get them to void the contract.

2) Should the case goes to court, Your mom is still protected by the medical records.

3) Lodge a police report for impersonation and attempt cheating against the debt collectors for impersonation.

Hi Third Sunday, just try to talk to their management people face to face, that can ease your mind and your mother's mind too. God bless you and your mother!

this method always works : Call up New Paper !

Hi third sunday, sori to hear such unpleasant incident.

I heard plenty of other horror stories as well.

FOC spa packages tat comes along with credit cards signups often turned out to be hard selling session instead. They will try very hard to sell u expensive spa packages and make u feel embrassed if you dun sign up. Worse i heard is tat after signing up for these few thousand dollars worth of spa packages, these spa suddenly closed down. :eek:

I would say make a police report, I did that before when Sunpage send a debt collection company to collect a bill of SGD 100 dollars that they claimed was incurred 6 years ago. No bill nothing just insistence that the amount was owned to them.

Debt collection company called my house everyday and talked to my mother. After finding out she is a housewife. Told her stories of how I might face legal action, may be sued for bankrupcy... (yeah right over 100 dollars which in the first place I did not even incur cause I dont use Sunpage services) and then told her that if I didnt pay soon, they will send down some "agents" to come personally collect and it won't be pleasant.

My mother got scared to her wits and in the end had a big hoo haa in the family when mother asked me to just pay the money to "avoid trouble" nevermind if it is correct or not.

I decided to call the police instead... and send the police report to Sunpage and the debt collector.... no more calls after that.

Alternatively contact CASE to mediate the case....I don't see a reason why they will pursue further if your can prove your mum medical condition :thumbsup:

If as you stated, your mother didn't pay any money to the company at any point, there is technically no binding contract. Nor can I assume your mother didn't made use of the services in the package, so what the company or its agents are doing is harassment, perhaps bordering on criminal intimidation. A police report will probably be the best course of action if the nuisance call continue.

One problem is that I refuse to send them any medical reports because it's personal information. They have already proven to me that they cannot be trusted so I will not trust them with personal information.

Regarding making a police report, I told them long ago that I will make a police report if I have no choice and they dared me to do it!!!

This is another sad case of some officials/staff being not practical and sensitive about CR. I understand that the co. belong to one of the famous ppl's son and he is supposed to be very pro-society. As for this case, i dont think it is going to be so complicated ...... as long as yr mum is truely in bad shape. ......
Find out the boss contact and give him a call. If he doesnt want to close the case, juz wait out for the case to be heard in public court.
Personally, if you lose the case, I will lead a fun-raising activity to pay the contract-sum on your behalf. :think:

third sunday,

of course they will dare you to go to police, go on Tv, go on newspaper.... bcos they think you people have no guts!

They dared me too. So I have written to the forum, got my letter published, also went on TV 7pm news too!

If you go to the ladies forum like flowerpod and cozycot, you would have learned that writing or calling Patrick Wee is a waste of time because there's no response from him ever.

Before you go to newspaper, get your papers in order i.e. police report on the debt agency impersonating as lawyers, medical letter of your mum's condition, the cause of the hospitalization is due to the harrasment of the debt agency.

You can talk to your mum's principle psychiatrist to write a medical letter. He will know how to put it in a way without stigmatising patient's record. More importantly, you have to tell him the whole story and the purpose of the letter so that he will know how to help you.

If you need contacts for going on TV to publicise this case, let me know :)

Finally, Don't call True Yoga again.

Amazing discoveries returns!

Haiyo, so plain and simple. A person with an unsound mind cannot be held to a contract. Thats all la dude, so just tell True Yoga that no matter how many contracts your mother signed, with how many clauses and worth how many thousands and millions of dollars, it will be considered a void because she is medically proven to be of unsound mind!

Simple as that.

the problem does not lies with third sunday. it's lies with true yoga.

once the dotted line is signed, they won't rest till you pay up.

the only solution to get out is thru legal means.

oh gee.. the staffs at True Yoga are truly messed up. most importantly how's your mom's condition now ? better take care of her 1st.

as far as i know, so long the person who signs the contract is mentally unsound or taken with serious illness, the contract is considered void. if they want to take legal action(s), would have taken long ago. the very 1st step is always Letter of Demand and followed by either Writ of Summons or Writ of Distress.

if you want , write to the CEO of True Yoga about the situation and states clearly in the event that you would hold them responsible should anything happen to your mom knowing your mom's condition. dont fret, get supporting documents from your doctor and slammed True Yoga. ask them 'nicely' how they gonna handle a customer who apparently isnt mentally sound and is the contract even valid in the 1st place ? to hell with them, stay cool.

Screw whatever Yoga, change your telephone number for your mother's sake, so she will not be bothered by these threatening calls.

../azul123

Screw whatever Yoga, change your telephone number for your mother's sake, so she will not be bothered by these threatening calls.

../azul123

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Most practical and efficient suggestion so far...

Haiyo, so plain and simple. A person with an unsound mind cannot be held to a contract. Thats all la dude, so just tell True Yoga that no matter how many contracts your mother signed, with how many clauses and worth how many thousands and millions of dollars, it will be considered a void because she is medically proven to be of unsound mind!

Simple as that.

Agreed! All contracts or agreement sign by a person of unsound mind or senile is consider null n void when proven medically! No need to show them medical report (oni show to judge) if they want to procceed to court, let them cos they bound to loose not oni case but $ n time!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.