hard or soft GND filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ct8407

May 16, 2007
Hi,
need expert and experience user's advice before of buying GND filter.

are there distint different in the application between the two? what is more commonly used for scenery/lanscape? pros and cons?

Thanks for your input in advanced.

Hi,
any advice? Should I get hard edge or soft edge GND filter? what is the different between the two? Thanks!

Hi,
any advice? Should I get hard edge or soft edge GND filter? what is the different between the two? Thanks!

a hard edge gnd, has the horizon line "hard", and the soft edge gnd has the horizon line "soft"

this is so helpful i realise, so i koped some stuff from wiki

250px-Grad-nd-soft-edge.svg.png

250px-Grad-nd-hard-edge.svg.png

the top one's the soft edge, the bottom's one the hard edge

what is different is the scene you will use it for. for example, if you have nothing which cuts above the horizon that you want details for, e.g. something with a treeline, like upper peirce, then a hard edge would work best. for anything else, soft edge will be good.

i myself use hard edge, which gives rise to very funny halos somethines because i have to place the horizon line higher than it really is for the details i want. hopefully i'll be able to get more variety soon..

by the way it doesn't stop there. singh ray even has reverse gnd. this puts the "hardest" point at the horizon line.. good for shots where the sun is just about to disappear below the horizon. ;)

there is also "gnd full" which means the gradient is from top to bottom. useful for certain types of scenes also , where the brightness is really gradual from top to bottom. as to what, i'm not exactly sure myself. :)

The soft GND filters give a more gradual transition as compared to the hard at the edge.

A quote from cambridgeincolor :
" GND filters come in many varieties. The first important setting is how quickly the filter blends from light to dark, which is usually termed "soft edge" or "hard edge" for gradual and more abrupt blends, respectively. These are chosen based on how quickly the light changes across the scene, where a sharp division between dark land and bright sky would necessitate a harder edge GND filter, for example. "

I currently work with a couple of soft edge GND, but will get a hard edge before my nxt holiday trip

Ryan

hmmm,
so looks like the softedge is a better option to start with first for beginner.

hmmm,
so looks like the softedge is a better option to start with first for beginner.

Hi CT 3833

A soft edge might be more forgiving when it comes to placement vs a hard edge for first time user. You can start with a +3 for a start :bsmilie:

( I tried an SR hard edge +3 before, and it wasn too hard either. still space for some gradual transition )

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.