Hard Disk Cloning

phoakm

Dec 15, 2003
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
www.flickr.com
I have a question for those Computer expertise. We normally clone a hard disk on the same size. Have you guys tried cloning a bigger amount hard disk like 500gb to a small amount hard disk like 300gb, although the amount occupied is less than 100gb?

Any cloning software can able to do that?

I am facing such issue. :(

Last edited:
Have you guys tried cloning a bigger amount hard disk like 500gb to a small amount hard disk like 300gb, although the amount occupied is less than 100gb?

:(

Check out Macrium Reflect - now a lite version is freeware.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp

http://www.overclock.net/other-software/727627-how-clone-large-hard-drive-smaller.html

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/7363/macrium-reflect-is-a-free-and-easy-to-use-backup-utility/

see 2nd link some did that

see details of 3rd link - choose "intelligent sector copy" that means don't copy unused empty areas of the bigger harddisk onto smaller one

I use Acronis TrueImage. It always ask me to specify my destination hdd size. So I guess it is possible as long as your source does not contain data larger than the specified destination.

I use Acronis TrueImage. It always ask me to specify my destination hdd size. So I guess it is possible as long as your source does not contain data larger than the specified destination.

Seen that but the destination disk is smaller than the original disk size. It won't allow to restore even the amount backup is much lesser in the original. :think:

see 2nd link some did that

see details of 3rd link - choose "intelligent sector copy" that means don't copy unused empty areas of the bigger harddisk onto smaller one

But it did not mentioned if the disk I backup to can be used as the boot disk.

I will try do a backup and restore to another disk with smaller size and use it to boot.

Last edited:
Seen that but the destination disk is smaller than the original disk size. It won't allow to restore even the amount backup is much lesser in the original. :think:

I have not tried with hdd, only with partitions. It does allow me to specify a smaller partition.

But it did not mentioned if the disk I backup to can be used as the boot disk.

I will try do a backup and restore to another disk with smaller size and use it to boot.

I had tried the software. It can't restore to the hard disk with small disk space.
Look as if my quest for looking for the software continue. :bsmilie:

Worst I will be getting another hard disk. Maybe getting this. :)

WD Caviar Black

Last edited:
I have a question for those Computer expertise. We normally clone a hard disk on the same size. Have you guys tried cloning a bigger amount hard disk like 500gb to a small amount hard disk like 300gb, although the amount occupied is less than 100gb?

It's possible. the software will only copy data area.

The cloning is not actually "cloning".. as in bit by bit disk image. It'll just copy the data.. of coz the OS and system files will be place appropriately in the same region as the original.. like boot sector etc..

It's possible. the software will only copy data area.

The cloning is not actually "cloning".. as in bit by bit disk image. It'll just copy the data.. of coz the OS and system files will be place appropriately in the same region as the original.. like boot sector etc..

But how? I had tried some software. The message the softwares gave the amount disk space is XXXgb, cannot restore. :think:

My objective is easy. Copy to another hard disk and use it as a main disk.

I want to use the Raptor.:cry:

Last edited:
Did you try Acronis ?

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/download/

Last time I tried, it'll ask how you want to place the data on the target disk, and even partition the disk for you for the sizes you specified..

As long as the data size is smaller then the target disk, it'll work, regardless of the source disk size.

You sure the "data" is < 100GB?

maybe your documents is <100GB.. but how abt the recycle bin? the swap file? the windows OS, and the temp files? all these take up space..

As long as it is not "free space", it'll be copied over.

And the cloned disk will behave like the source disk.. in booting, desktop.. shortcuts.. everything..

Last edited:
Did you try Acronis ?

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/download/

Last time I tried, it'll ask how you want to place the data on the target disk, and even partition the disk for you for the sizes you specified..

As long as the data size is smaller then the target disk, it'll work, regardless of the source disk size.

You sure the "data" is < 100GB?

maybe your documents is <100GB.. but how abt the recycle bin? the swap file? the windows OS, and the temp files? all these take up space..

As long as it is not "free space", it'll be copied over.

And the cloned disk will behave like the source disk.. in booting, desktop.. shortcuts.. everything..

Thanks for the info. I had conducted a system clean up. I had emptied the recycle bin and removed all the tmp files before I conducted the cloning or imaging. I even transfered the documents and images to my Drobo S. Now my harddisk only left with application files with around 65gb out of 500gb for cloning or imaging.

The cloning or image softwares can't restore to the 300gb. :dunno: ..... either error message or not allowed.

This flow shows what I intended to do.

Data from 500GB (Less than 100GB applications and minimum doucment data)
-> 300GB (which it will become the source disk)

500GB will be formatted to become the backup disk for 300GB.

Applications from 300GB will store and work on the images from DroboS.

Future plan to create a 2nd backup disk on the files for the Drobo S.

Thanks for the info. I had conducted a system clean up. I had emptied the recycle bin and removed all the tmp files before I conducted the cloning or imaging. I even transfered the documents and images to my Drobo S. Now my harddisk only left with application files with around 65gb out of 500gb for cloning or imaging.

The cloning or image softwares can't restore to the 300gb. :dunno: ..... either error message or not allowed.

500GB is source, 300GB is target rite? anyway.. you're trying to clone the disk rite.. I wouldn't use the word "restore".....

If "restore" is the term that the application is using.. ya, maybe it will not work if target disk is smaller.. I suspect.. bcoz not sure what the software is trying to do....

if restore, it might trying to read each and every bit of the source disk.. even deleted files, etc.. So the size requirement will definite be 500GB..

Bcoz when pple "restore", every bit on the source disk could be used for data reconstruction.. or whatever.. so it's necessary have have an exact "image".

Anyway, these are just speculations.. it depends on the software you're using..

500GB is source, 300GB is target rite? anyway.. you're trying to clone the disk rite.. I wouldn't use the word "restore".....

If "restore" is the term that the application is using.. ya, maybe it will not work if target disk is smaller.. I suspect.. bcoz not sure what the software is trying to do....

if restore, it might trying to read each and every bit of the source disk.. even deleted files, etc.. So the size requirement will definite be 500GB..

Bcoz when pple "restore", every bit on the source disk could be used for data reconstruction.. or whatever.. so it's necessary have have an exact "image".

Anyway, these are just speculations.. it depends on the software you're using..

Another question to ask. Do I need to perform disk defragmentation before I do the cloning process? Will this help in the cloning or imaging process for my scenerio?

Another question to ask. Do I need to perform disk defragmentation before I do the cloning process? Will this help in the cloning or imaging process for my scenerio?

for your scenario. It's not necessary. But I speculate that it will speed up the copying process (because the HDD is moving large chunks of data, it helps if the files are in one big piece).

For real "cloning" (bit by bit disk image), it should not make a difference because the HDD just read sector by sector instead of file by file.. so the target will be as fragmented as the source..

I've tried using Ghost to clone from a smaller hard disk to a larger one. Have not tried the other way round, but I guess it should work, as long as the data being cloned is not larger than the destination disk.

This flow shows what I intended to do.

Data from 500GB (Less than 100GB applications and minimum doucment data)
-> 300GB (which it will become the source disk)

500GB will be formatted to become the backup disk for 300GB.

Applications from 300GB will store and work on the images from DroboS.

Future plan to create a 2nd backup disk on the files for the Drobo S.

Bro, I'm not sure if you have purchased the Drobo. I find that it's a waste of money. Just pay for a copy of Norton Ghost, get a USB hard disk with a large capacity (which is very cheap), and start doing cloning of your hard disk. You can specify to clone to different folders for different versions. Cheap and good. :)