Harbour @ Keppel Reflections

Bro, like I always say, Post processing is part of the image making workflow. The issue here is where to strike the balance, because the tools available to us nowadays allow us to do too much. In the end, everyone has to find their own point of balance, and their own style. And that comes a lot with experience also, because as we mature more in our photography, our eye also changes, and what we deemed as acceptable or not also changes.

Very true. You have a good point. I have yet to develop that photographic eye to ascertain for myself what works and what doesn't.
More often than not, what I shoot seems nicer to me it would to others. Haha. I am trying to train myself to be objective. But I often cant see the flaws in my own photo till someone points it out. For that, I am glad that you guys are here to share your thoughts. Really appreciate it.

Add to that, the trouble of processing. Sometimes can get carried away and go a little further than intended. Haha. What has helped is seeing the different examples on CS and in the WWW in general.

Still waiting in hope for the final tutorial session on Post-processing by DD123. Haha.

Very true. You have a good point. I have yet to develop that photographic eye to ascertain for myself what works and what doesn't.
More often than not, what I shoot seems nicer to me it would to others. Haha. I am trying to train myself to be objective. But I often cant see the flaws in my own photo till someone points it out. For that, I am glad that you guys are here to share your thoughts. Really appreciate it.

Add to that, the trouble of processing. Sometimes can get carried away and go a little further than intended. Haha. What has helped is seeing the different examples on CS and in the WWW in general.

Still waiting in hope for the final tutorial session on Post-processing by DD123. Haha.

Hi Norman, I can empathised with you, :). When I look back some photos I took six months ago, my thought is I should reshoot the scene or find another perspective. I suppose it is part of the enjoyment to see the incremental improvement and perhaps endorsement of others, and encourage to shoot more. As many of the experience members said, shoot more and if I may add, learn from mistakes. I used to tell my colleagues, if you are not making mistakes, you are not learning.

As to post processing, I also get carried away when I realise there are photo editing software that do all kind of enhancements to the final image. And fully agree with DD123, it is an individual choice and what do you hope to gain from it. For me, I used Canon DPP, Photoshop Elements 11 and Nik software but confessed I am not good and too lazy to learn the advanced level so most of the time, I will play around with the S-curve, white balance pointer, sharpening, and correct the distortion if necessary. For scene of high dynamic range, I usually bracket the shots and the software to blend it automatically, better than me.
Just to share my comment, OT, but thanks for reading. Cheers.

From a novice point of view, preferably no post editing would be the best photo and natural. However, if you have a shot and miss something, that editing could bring about an improvement, I guess I would do it.

Yes, if competition rules say no, then it is no. But if it is for self entertainment, anything also can. That is why I try to keep all the raw pics. my 2-cent

Hi Norman, I can empathised with you, :). When I look back some photos I took six months ago, my thought is I should reshoot the scene or find another perspective. I suppose it is part of the enjoyment to see the incremental improvement and perhaps endorsement of others, and encourage to shoot more. As many of the experience members said, shoot more and if I may add, learn from mistakes. I used to tell my colleagues, if you are not making mistakes, you are not learning.

As to post processing, I also get carried away when I realise there are photo editing software that do all kind of enhancements to the final image. And fully agree with DD123, it is an individual choice and what do you hope to gain from it. For me, I used Canon DPP, Photoshop Elements 11 and Nik software but confessed I am not good and too lazy to learn the advanced level so most of the time, I will play around with the S-curve, white balance pointer, sharpening, and correct the distortion if necessary. For scene of high dynamic range, I usually bracket the shots and the software to blend it automatically, better than me.
Just to share my comment, OT, but thanks for reading. Cheers.

Hi TANHK,

Thanks for dropping by and commenting. I do agree that mistakes will fuel learning. And now is certainly a great time for a beginner like me to learn since there are no risks involved and everything to gain.

I'm still figuring out Photoshop/Adobe Camera Raw and Photomatix Pro and learning as I go. It's a fun experience I must say. You have given me a thought bin gonna dump these two exposures that I used to blend, into Photomatix and see what the result looks like. Haha.

Hi TANHK,

Thanks for dropping by and commenting. I do agree that mistakes will fuel learning. And now is certainly a great time for a beginner like me to learn since there are no risks involved and everything to gain.

I'm still figuring out Photoshop/Adobe Camera Raw and Photomatix Pro and learning as I go. It's a fun experience I must say. You have given me a thought bin gonna dump these two exposures that I used to blend, into Photomatix and see what the result looks like. Haha.

I can feel your energy :) Keep shooting and enjoy the journey.
Regarding your photo, since the boats are on the water, so I feel the condition is not suitable for multiple exposure.
Hopefully the software is intelligent enough to aligned the two exposure, good luck !

Thanks! Shall certainly shoot more.

Yeah. I'm curious as to how the photos will emerge after the HDR as well.