Happy Deepavali from Little India

biskandar

May 11, 2010
Singapore
www.about.me
1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Composition and Lighting

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
Night Festival Feeling

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Festival Celebration

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture?
underexposure

5086082437_e58b463619_b.jpg

hey TS, hope you don't mind if I'm seen too blunt. Such photo doesn't generate any critique probably due to a few reasons and one of which is 1. It is not easy to critique such a shot that will help you becos it is neither really bad nor good and it is one of the most common way to capture the festival street lighting. Not much creativity is needed here.

However, given the same situation for me, I would probably did the same just to capture the rows of lights but there will be one essential difference between us. Getting a photo with a decently good iq.

This is probably a hand held shot and you have to bump up the iso for a decently sharp photo. And given the on coming traffic, you don't have much time to shoot too.

What I will do is shoot from the side of the road with a tripod to get the settings right and find out the how much time I have in between traffic. I will select a setting that will allow me to find enough time to compose and expose the shot properly with a tripod.

Other options maybe is to get a fast prime lens and a camera with good noise reduction or get noise ninja to get rid of the noise.

With all these said, you won't feel the festive spirit with just rows of festive lights. You can try to look for activities happening that is particular to the festival and include a bit of the festive light too.

The camera probably meter off the lights and you get an underexposed photo. Try ev+0.5, or +1.0....and see.

in composition, perspective is always very important.... this seems a little too head-n with a little too much distractions below on the road level

Your submission's title is Happy Deepavali from Little India This evokes nothing related to a Happy Deepavali atmosphere ...... find the 'Happy' and incorporate it into a Deepavali themed image if you have another chance at it ..... here, you have just captured a record shot of a row of lighting decorations... nothing more

Last edited:
It's good that you tried to show the lights in Little India but composition wise could be improved:D