Hanoi, Vietnam

jiongwei97

Dec 11, 2010
Novena
http://gallery.clubsnap.com/showfull.php?photo=196195

1. in what area is critique to be sought?

I hope to be able to capture better images of my travelling experiences, so I hope to receive comments from the more experienced CS-ers because I'm still a 15 year old kid :D

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

I was trying to capture her dance moves such that it embodies the beauty of Vietnamese traditional dance.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

I was aboard a tour boat in Vietnam, can't exactly remember the name, but it's like a Vietnamese version of our Singaporean Ducktours, of course with the addition of good dinner and great performances.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

I just feel that the lighting seems a bit too strong on the dancer, because I was using a flash with my telephoto.. But it also seems to add to the overall isolation and focus on the dancer. I find the colours quite vibrant but the framing seems slightly too tight.

Last edited:
Vietnam500px-123.jpg

Embedding the image here would probably make giving comments easier by other club members...

Hi Juingwei97,

I think this is a nice picture and the fact that this was taken while on the boat would probably give you a lot more restrictions.

Ideally and like you have mentioned before, it would be good if it was a much wider shot, better still if it was a full body shot. It most traditional Asian dance, the hands gestures play an important role in depicting the story of the dance theme. As such, cropping away the right hand sort of take away the whole story behind the picture. If it is possible, wait for the dancer to have her eyes facing your direction as this might gives a stronger picture.

Cheers,

Daniel

For travel photo which also include the Vietnamese traditional dance it was better to shot with a wider angle (full view of the dancer) with some background. In this way will provide us more information on the culture and landscape. :)

Hi Oracle,

Thanks for your comments and helping me embed, first time posting on the Critique Corner :X
Didn't have the privilege of a wide angle on my camera as I was trying to shoot the scenery nearby with my tele.. Thank you anyways, will take your advice into consideration :)

Hi Jiong Wei,

Thanks for sharing your 500px album. There are quite a few good pictures - such as "teacup", "pottery and craft", "concentration" and I especially like "A Traffic Conundrum". I saw another of the picture of the same dancer - not bad (though would love a wider perspective).

Keep on shooting, I am sure you will get even better.

Cheers,

Daniel

If you guys would like to see more of the album, check out my 500px album here: 500px / Lua Jiong Wei / Photos

From your 500px album you have the basic skill for digital photographic, I can see the photo composition is here, if you want to take the challenge and further improve you skills you can consider to post your photo in the Land/City-scapes and Travel section. You might receive some positive/negative/none comments that where you could learn and improve your photographic skill. :)

Hi Daniel, thanks for your kind comments. Will take the upcoming holidays to shoot more, cannot shoot that much during school term because school work is rather hefty haha :)

Hi Silverpine, thanks for your nice comments as well! Will work hard and try to learn from the criticisms from the more experienced seniors here :D

Love the colors..u got it..red n blue compliments each other...just need to adjust the framing..dancing is all about the body arms n legs..so it's important to catch on the movements..cause now nobody would know what is she doing..she could be posing..or sitting down..etc..=) but other than that good good shot

i traveled around the world since I was 19 years old. I found it is hard to balance traveling and taking photos.

tank123 said:
i traveled around the world since I was 19 years old. I found it is hard to balance traveling and taking photos.

If ur explorer it will be easy...if it a tourist it's not..