Hanimax 70-210mm f4.5-5.6 mc macro zoom

Status
Not open for further replies.

chickenlittle21

Feb 26, 2009
Jurong
Hey big bro and sis here, im quite new to dslr, jus started 1 week ago.

I got a second hand d40 and wanted to buy a cheap lens.

Just curious if i can use HANIMAX 70-210MM F4.5-5.6 MC MACRO ZOOM on my d40?

Is this lens recommended? Thanks everyone in advanced!

Hey big bro and sis here, im quite new to dslr, jus started 1 week ago.

I got a second hand d40 and wanted to buy a cheap lens.

Just curious if i can use HANIMAX 70-210MM F4.5-5.6 MC MACRO ZOOM on my d40?

Is this lens recommended? Thanks everyone in advanced!

If it's a F mount, yes.

You could also consider getting a 70-210 Nikkor f4 to 5.6. And since you're using a D40, you'd have to manually focus with these lenses.

If you wish for full AF on your camera, then your choices are limited to 70-200 AF-S, 70-300AF-S and the cheapest choice 55-200 AF-S

Hanimex was a house brand of an Australian import film that was made in Japan, but I think it might not be as commonly used as the other 3rd party makers of Nikon lenses.

For the 70-210mm I think it is AIS mount, it will be manual focus.

Performance wise , you might have to try to search hard online for reviews.

Ryan

If it's a F mount, yes.

You could also consider getting a 70-210 Nikkor f4 to 5.6. And since you're using a D40, you'd have to manually focus with these lenses.

If you wish for full AF on your camera, then your choices are limited to 70-200 AF-S, 70-300AF-S and the cheapest choice 55-200 AF-S

Thanks for the quick reply! :)
What are this lens most suitable to shoot for?

Hanimex was a house brand of an Australian import film that was made in Japan, but I think it might not be as commonly used as the other 3rd party makers of Nikon lenses.

For the 70-210mm I think it is AIS mount, it will be manual focus.

Performance wise , you might have to try to search hard online for reviews.

Ryan

Yes, it is AIS mount, so can i use on my d40?

Personally, I use my 70-210 Nikkor as a street shooting lens.

In a pinch, I can also use it to reach butterflies or other wildlife which may be skitterish and not allow you to go close to them. Remember, at the 1.5 x crop factor, you'll be getting a focal length of 315mm in 35mm film equivalent.

Also, you may experience better optical images when stopped down, I try to shoot at about f8 or so but images still deliver when used wide open. ;)

You can look up my flickr site for examples shot with this lens.

Personally, I use my 70-210 Nikkor as a street shooting lens.

In a pinch, I can also use it to reach butterflies or other wildlife which may be skitterish and not allow you to go close to them. Remember, at the 1.5 x crop factor, you'll be getting a focal length of 315mm in 35mm film equivalent.

Also, you may experience better optical images when stopped down, I try to shoot at about f8 or so but images still deliver when used wide open. ;)

You can look up my flickr site for examples shot with this lens.

Okay! thanks for your help :)

Compare the pricing carefully too... the Nikkor one is about $200-300 second hand. So how much is the Hanimax priced at?

the person charged me at $120.

$120 full manual vs $200 for a lens which can AF on the next line of camera bodies (D50, D70 and above), it's up to you....

Look up the 55-200 too. May not be far off the pricing too. ;)

Hi chickenlittle21. Just bear in mind that there will be no metering as well for the D40 body.
So you will be shooting based on best guess / histogram.

But if that is not an issue . .

Ryan

$120 full manual vs $200 for a lens which can AF on the next line of camera bodies (D50, D70 and above), it's up to you....

Look up the 55-200 too. May not be far off the pricing too. ;)

Hmmm, okay, i go and hunt for deals hahaha. thanks there!

Okays, thanks Ryan!

Btw, wads the difference between 70-210mm and 55-200mm lens? Cant figure out..

Last edited:
The 70-210 are made for the old film based cameras (full frame)

The 55-200 are made for DX cameras, those with crop factors. Found you a good deal,

WTSell: Lens - Nikon AF-S DX VR Zoom Nikkor 55-200mm

Thanks there! But i have limited funds hahaha. I only have around $100 to spare you see.. Poor student :bsmilie:

In terms of quality, which will be better? Heard tt 70-210mm produces better bokeh?

PS : there is also a non-VR version of this 55-200 and should go for lower... look around. ;)

Thanks there! But i have limited funds hahaha. I only have around $100 to spare you see.. Poor student :bsmilie:

In terms of quality, which will be better? Heard tt 70-210mm produces better bokeh?

Better save up a lil more...

As for bokeh, I can't be sure as I don't have a 55-200 to compare. But it all depends on a multitude of factors, such as roundness of the blades when closed down, aperture used, distance of camera to subject and also distance of subject to BG. On built quality, I'd definitely go for the Nikkor 70-210. Can even use as weapon to bash ppl :bsmilie:

Better save up a lil more...

As for bokeh, I can't be sure as I don't have a 55-200 to compare. But it all depends on a multitude of factors, such as roundness of the blades when closed down, aperture used, distance of camera to subject and also distance of subject to BG. On built quality, I'd definitely go for the Nikkor 70-210. Can even use as weapon to bash ppl :bsmilie:

Haha, how much does it cost for nikkor 70-210 second hand ?

Status
Not open for further replies.