Hanica Sensor Flash as a slave flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

rty

Staff member
Jan 19, 2002
Singapore
Has anyone ever succesfully tried using Hanica Sensor Flash as a slave? I tried taking a few test shots using my camera built-in flash. The Hanica did fire every time but somehow it is no in-sync with the camera shutter speed. Any idea why and how to make it work with the camera?

Thanks in advance.

PS. The camera is Canon EOS D30 set at 1/60.

Originally posted by denizenx
too slow?

Yes, I believe the Hanica slave fired too slow. Any idea how to solve this problem?

Originally posted by denizenx
erm wuite hard... try preflash? or redeye flash?

Wuite?

I tried preflash (pressing the * button) and that Hanica slave didn't fire. Only pressing the camera shutter release can make it fire.

Oh gee, I just tried it with my Nikon Coolpix 995 and the Hanica did the job well. What's the matter with Canon?

:(

Originally posted by rty

Wuite?

I tried preflash (pressing the * button) and that Hanica slave didn't fire. Only pressing the camera shutter release can make it fire.

? Canon does pre-flash under e-TTL before firing the actual flash. (the pre-flash helps the camera gauge how much of the actual flash to fire). The pre-flash probably trigger the Hanica slave to fire before the shutter opens.

Originally posted by rty
Oh gee, I just tried it with my Nikon Coolpix 995 and the Hanica did the job well. What's the matter with Canon?

:(

CP 995 doesn't do pre-flash. The flash only fires once.

Originally posted by mpenza

? Canon does pre-flash under e-TTL before firing the actual flash. (the pre-flash helps the camera gauge how much of the actual flash to fire). The pre-flash probably trigger the Hanica slave to fire before the shutter opens.

If there's the case, any workaround to disable the preflash? I didn't see any pre-flash fired from the camera built-in flash though.

saw some discussion: http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=001gr6

basically, you need to find a way to disable E-TTL to prevet pre-flash....

Err... I didn't use any external flash for this experiment. I also have tried using my built-in flash of the Canon camera to trigger those big studio flashes and it didn't work either. Nikon and other cameras seem to work fine.

:dunno:

Originally posted by rty

Err... I didn't use any external flash for this experiment. I also have tried using my built-in flash of the Canon camera to trigger those big studio flashes and it didn't work either. Nikon and other cameras seem to work fine.

The internal one has preflash I think. Like others said, the initial flash will trigger the slave already. And they probably don't recharge fast enough to fire again during the actual flash.

Try using a dumb non-TTL external flash unit or one of those IR flash triggers on your hotshoe instead. All else fails, you can always go to the Nikon camp. :devil:

Regards
CK

Originally posted by rty
Your built-in flash always pre-flash, but you can't see it because it is just a fraction of second before the real shutter-flash fired.
Use external flash (and don't use TTL).

If all else fail, then as CK said: welcome to Nikon camp, the world without pre-flash :devil:

Ronnie: Ckiang is right. I use an Achiever 260T on my D30, covered with unexposed slide film (which I got from him). Triggers off the studio flash very nicely. Cheap wireless solution.

Nikon does pre-flash with the "3D Matrix balance fill flash" right?

It does it inperceptibly. :) And can be easily disabled. At least on external flashes (I don't have a Nikon body with internal flash to verify)

Regards
CK

Alright, thanks guys. I still have another flash to experiment with. It is an ancient and super dumb Kakon flash that uses 4 AA size batteries. Will probably experiment with it tonight. I just hope it won't fry my D30.

ckiang & tsdh, I have given my sworn allegiance to the Canon camp so defecting is not an option. Thanks for the asylum offer though.

Originally posted by StreetShooter
Ronnie: Ckiang is right. I use an Achiever 260T on my D30, covered with unexposed slide film (which I got from him). Triggers off the studio flash very nicely. Cheap wireless solution.

How much is the Achiever 260T? The $22 Hanica can do the same job, you know? :)

duh.... my Canon camera (EOS 30 not EOS D30 :D ) does trigger the studio lights through flash sync via built-in flash.

u have to note that the flash somehow got to reach the flash sync detector, maybe at the back of the studio light unit.

if that fails, use a sync cord. that's the safest! :D

Originally posted by rty
Alright, thanks guys. I still have another flash to experiment with. It is an ancient and super dumb Kakon flash that uses 4 AA size batteries. Will probably experiment with it tonight. I just hope it won't fry my D30.

ckiang & tsdh, I have given my sworn allegiance to the Canon camp so defecting is not an option. Thanks for the asylum offer though.

Beware of excessively high trigger voltages of some flash units. it can try your D30. (doesn't matter if it runs from 4 batteries or powerpack, etc) But hey, that will make a good reason to upgrade to D60, 1D, 1Ds, etc. :devil:

Regards
CK

Status
Not open for further replies.