Hanging Camera bag to tripod

Status
Not open for further replies.

dts_spawn

Jun 24, 2005
I've been reading a lot about tripods and many times i've come across this hanging the camera bag to the tripod advice. The question is, How do i hang it?? Could anyone post a picture so that i can truely understand.

there should be a small hook at the bottom of the centre rod for you to hang the bag. adds to stability.

Not all tripods come with the hook. Those that have it are mostly Gitzos and some Manfrottos (you are welcome to name more). I hang a small sand punches instead of my camera bag so that I can gain access to my gears easily.

I have doubts about the usefulness of this. If the wind blows and the bag sways, it'll shake the tripod instead of stabilize it. Besides the CG of the tripod is still pretty high even with a bag hanging from the hook.

But its useful for keeping you stuff dry if the ground's wet!

solarii said:
I have doubts about the usefulness of this. If the wind blows and the bag sways, it'll shake the tripod instead of stabilize it. Besides the CG of the tripod is still pretty high even with a bag hanging from the hook.

But its useful for keeping you stuff dry if the ground's wet!

speaking from experience, i found that it is a MUST to hang my backpack below because my carbon fibre tripod is simply too light (1.1kg only)

if u think the wind blowing will cause the tripod to shake, then u can try without a bag and see which is more shaky.

If the wind is so strong can even move you bag, don't even bother to set the tripod there, it is not safe to shoot there, if the bag is empty, what the use of hanging you bag on the tripod?

Hanging camera bag to tripod serve two purposes, one, stabilize the tripod. Two, security of your camera bag. Don't need to have a hood for hanging your bag to the tripod, just loop the bag to the base of tripod head. obviously you need a strong tripod.

you should hang the tripod to the bag and not the bag to the tripod

sorry to hijack, but what abt tripods taht have no hook? does any shop sell a hook for me to get? im using slik 330dx

user111 said:
you should hang the tripod to the bag and not the bag to the tripod

Bro, I think you are confused ...... we are talking about hanging the bag when the tripod is opened.

photobum said:
Not all tripods come with the hook. Those that have it are mostly Gitzos and some Manfrottos (you are welcome to name more).

If the end cap of the center colummn is removable, you can drill a hole if the material is suitable and install a hook. Go to a hardware store that sells screw in wall-plug type hooks used to hang very heavy things.

then i will just carry the bag hehe

kahheng said:
If the end cap of the center colummn is removable, you can drill a hole if the material is suitable and install a hook. Go to a hardware store that sells screw in wall-plug type hooks used to hang very heavy things.

Wondered if i can use this method on the slik pro gm tripod where the centre column cap is made of plastic; if the bag is heavy the plastic cap might not able to hold the weight

kababoom said:
Wondered if i can use this method on the slik pro gm tripod where the centre column cap is made of plastic; if the bag is heavy the plastic cap might not able to hold the weight

You need to use your own judgement here. Can't be hard to reinforce the end cap with epoxy resin though.

BTW, I also used washers to reinforce the end cap. It will help a lot.

kahheng said:
You need to use your own judgement here. Can't be hard to reinforce the end cap with epoxy resin though.
Even with the standard screw on hooks, do check and make sure they are tightened... my hook on my Gitzo came loose while I was shooting along the river of Prague.. the bag and hook dropped onto the ground.. The screw fell into the river.. fortunately, my bag was safe..

i always sling my bag over the spread out tripod to add weight to it.

Never fails on me b4.

Isaiahfortythirtyone said:
sorry to hijack, but what abt tripods taht have no hook? does any shop sell a hook for me to get? im using slik 330dx

I have a 340DX, the center column should be the same. There's a rubber stopper at the end, you can just remove that, and you can see a hole in the column. Just get one of those laminated metal S-hooks (supermarkets, hardware shops), and thread it through.

willyfoo said:
Even with the standard screw on hooks, do check and make sure they are tightened... my hook on my Gitzo came loose while I was shooting along the river of Prague.. the bag and hook dropped onto the ground.. The screw fell into the river.. fortunately, my bag was safe..

I had a good look at the Gitzo hook 'mechanism' and was convinced that I could easily DIY the sucker.

I use the hook to hang my can of kopi from the coffee shop. Very useful when you're out shooting......

Status
Not open for further replies.