Hands on w/ the K20D Camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fengwei

Aug 25, 2004
Queenstown
www.pbase.com
Well, guess some of you already know that I got the K20D camera about 10 hours ago. Have been very excited since I had the camera, but only got chance to get online after the kids went to bed.

'Cause I only had the camera for a very short time, this can't be a review, yet. But I'll try my best to fill in more update along the time. I'm sure many here have already seen some reviews and user experiences of this camera. Here I'll start w/ a very brief comparison between the K20D and K10D camera.

Outside the camera is almost the same as the K10D but w/ a sightly bigger LCD screen, and some fine tuned buttons (the AF/MF switch, SR switch, Mode Dial). The bigger LCD screen does help a bit when review the pictures on the camera, but it could've been even bigger (like the one on D300). The button layout and operation are almost exactly the same as the K10D, and I really appreciate this 'cause there isn't much learning curve for me to use this new camera. I haven't even read the manual yet, but will do so later on when I got time.

When switched on the camera and started to take photos, the first thing I noticed was the quieter shutter sound, and short lagging after the shutter button is released. These are very noticeable difference from the K10D which I've been using for 15 months.

The next thing I noticed was the faster AF speed over the K10D, especially when set to AF.C position. I was using a FA*85/1.4 lens (one of the fastest AF lens by Pentax), and I could feel it focuses faster on the K20D than the K10D (I was switching between these two cameras using the same lens). The AF is very accurate even under room light, but I did get some blurred shorts when set to AF.C (which is so much faster than the AF.S btw).

After comparing the similar shots on both cameras, I feel the AWB on K20D are more pleasing (can't say it's more accurate than the K10D at this stage, but it's definitely more pleasing under low room light). You can see this from the samples I'm posting in the replies. Some users stated that the AWB on K20D is more accurate, I need to do more test on this before I can say so.

The high ISO shots are definitely cleaner than those from K10D. I took all the samples shots right before bed time under room light. When exposed properly, the ISO 1600 shots look quite okay, especially after resizing. Some ISO3200 photos look pretty good too. But the ISO6400 ones look just like those from small DC, don't think it's ideal to use, at least not for my like.

The other things I'd like to try but haven't got chance to do yet are DR test, 21fps burst, LiveView, AF adjustment and etc. I'll write more about these when I got time testing them out.

Although I only used the camera for a couple hours, I do feel it's a big step upgrade from the K10D. I'm sure you'd be pleased with this camera too.

Here are the two cameras which you've seen at some other website (but my K10D is the GP versioin ;)):

K10DK20D_1.jpg

K10DK20D_2.jpg

I'll post some sample photos taken by K20D and an FA*85/1.4 lens. All shots were taken in JPG w/ **** quality, no post process at all (not even cropping) except resize and some sharpening as I usually do. Aperture is set to F1.8 or F2, ISO from 1600 to 3200. EXIF is intact in each photo.

Here are some ISO 1600 shots w/ in camera NR (Noise Reduction) OFF:

IMGP0025_s.jpg

IMGP0062_s.jpg

IMGP0070_s.jpg

IMGP0102_s.jpg

And the following ones were taken at ISO1600 w/ in camera NR On:

IMGP0108_s.jpg

IMGP0111_s.jpg

And following ones were taken at ISO3200 w/ NR on:

IMGP0116_s.jpg

IMGP0117_s.jpg

iso1600 Rocks.... and even iso3200... More please... :)

Keep the test coming.;) Thanks for sharing your initial hands on experience especially the noticeable difference .:D

K20D is cool! :)

Congrat on the new camera.

How much was the camera?

The noise is very well controlled, thanks sharing with us fengwei, enjoy your new cam.

If we buy a few K20D together. Do you think the price will be better?

wow...noise performance is good. :thumbsup:
but you should have waited for the "grand prix" version so no need to change again later on..:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

Shirro only bring in units for the IT show. Do not know if they would entertain MO request. Forevermore like previous show, the IT show booth is by the reseller. So the reseller also need to recover cost.

Looks awesome! I really like the high iso shots.
Thanks for the mini-review. :thumbsup:
keep us updated on your findings.

Now, itchy fingers and itchy wallet...must..resist..K20D. Must..divert..funds...for new lenses instead...resist..resist...arghhhh argghhhh:sweat:

Hi guys, sorry for not posting anything in a whole day. Was really tired last night due to lack of sleep the day before, and I usually can't get online during weekend, especially when the kids are not sleeping...

Anyway, after two days test, I really like the new camera, especially its JPG output, and indoor AWB. Some more findings here:

1. AF is more accurate on the K20D than K10D
Some of my lenses seem sharper w/ the K20D than the K10D. I was told by Kevin (our Pentax guy at Shriro ;)) that the new K20D camera doesn't have as many AF issues as the previous cameras (K10D, K100D), and some lenses he tested w/ BF/FF problems on K10D don't seem to have the same problem on the K20D. And my own experiences (w/ my FA200, FA31, FA77, FA24) are the same. Further more, we all know that K20D can keep the AF adjustment for 20 type of lenses (I myself haven't done AF adjustment for any of my lenses yet), I guess this is a good news for some guys here.

2. Indoor AWB is much more pleasing and probably accurate, especially for portrait or people photos. I'm quite pleased even w/ the JPG output under complicate indoor light (in shopping mall, rastraunt...). I'll post some more samples when I get time. W/ the K20D, I'll probably shoot JPG most time :) But I shoot in RAW mostly when taking photos w/ the K10D

3. The JPG output is HUGE! At **** quality setting, the file size can easily exceed 11mb or 12mb. My 4gb SD card can only hold about 400 jpg photos. Of course you can set the file size to 10mp, 6mp or even 2mp. But I guess most people won't do so. So if you are getting this camera, better buy some extra SD cards (if you don't have them yet).

4. Battery life seems great. I've taken almost 800 photos for the first charge, it's still full. I'll keep using it until it's out and see how many photos I can take w/ one charge.

5. Burst mode is fun and easy to use. I'll try to convert a short video (3 to 4 second) to share w/ you guys later on.

6. AF.C seems much more accurate than the one on K10D. W/ K10D, I really can't rely on the AF.C. But I've used AF.C exclusively for a whole day today, most shots came out in focus. And one thing I need to tell you, the AF speed w/ AF.C is alot faster than AF.S :D I Know Pentax isn't good for fast autofocus, but w/ K20D, when set to AF.C, I think the AF speed is good enough even under low light.

7. Tried the HDR filter (which can convert a normal JPG photo to a HDR one), works great. But I think we can do better w/ post processing on a RAW file. The HDR filter only works w/ JPG file, not RAW.

8. I tried the increased DR range feature (to enable the CMOS sensor to capture more high and low light details), haven't seen any difference yet. Probably the testing scene I setup wasn't idea for this kind of test. Will show the test photos tomorrow.

9. AF adjustment is very easy and straigt forward. When I get time, I'd test all my lenses and make sure they are spot on w/ the new camera :cool:

10. The most important find of the two days: I really love the new camera, and I think it's capable of taking great photos just like our K10D, K200D, probably better photos too (at least larger ;)).

I'll post some, well, actually a lot photos tomorrow when I get them processed. Will show some 100% crops too. I'm sure you guys would love some of the photos.

Cheers!

Nice to hear that you love the camera. I will be getting mine this wednesday. Can you please post the JPEG settings you used?

Nice to hear that you love the camera. I will be getting mine this wednesday. Can you please post the JPEG settings you used?

I didn't set anything except **** JPG quality :) Everything else is the same as default ...

Seems like quite a few pentaxians here already getting K20D...
Cool man...

Here are some shots of my kids w/ the K20D and FA77:

IMGP0154_s.jpg

IMGP0183_s.jpg

IMGP0167_s.jpg

There are some more photos I left at home. Will try to post some more tomorrow :)

Really thanks for the tests you did, and answer nearly all my doubt...., but still have 1 question most of them like to know.
Do you know what price they are selling, K20D & DA*200?:D

Status
Not open for further replies.