Hands on w/ K-m ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

fengwei

Aug 25, 2004
Queenstown
www.pbase.com
Had a chance to play w/ a K-m camera today. It's really a lovely camera, small but very good feel in hands (my hands are not too big, but not too small either). It feels better than Ds/K100D or even K20D w/o battery grip due to its deeper hand grip. The DAL kit lens seems to be too big for the camera:

PentaxKmKit2.jpg

PentaxKmKit1.jpg

The camera is very easy to operate, most functions/settings can be easily reached by pressing a couple of buttons. Most time it can be operated by one hand. AF w/ the kit lens is pretty fast indoor or outdoor. I didn't get chance to test w/ any other lens except the kit lens and a manual M50/2 lens. If I were using this camera, I'd sure use it along w/ a couple of small prime lenses like DA pancakes or FA Limiteds instead of big lens like DAL18-55 (yes, the lens looks too big on this camera :D).

There are many reviews about this camera already, so I'm not gonna do my own version. But one thing I found out which hasn't been reported elsewhere: the K-m camera works great w/ manual lenses, the metering is very accurate. I tested it w/ a manual Pentax M 50/2 lens at various aperture setting from wide open to F22, camera set to M mode, metering by pressing the Av/Ev button (for stopdown metering on this camera), all results came out w/ very accurate exposure value.

Here are several quick samples by K-m and M50/2 combo w/ auto metering by the camera:

Wide open:
IMGP0005.jpg

F8:
IMGP0011.jpg

F16:
IMGP0014.jpg

F22:
IMGP0013.jpg

I haven't played it long, probably just 10 to 20min, but I do have great feeling about this camera. I think I'll be getting one for myself, put a split focus screen in it, and play w/ my manaul lenses :D

If you are looking for a small and compact dSLR camera, I think this one is a great choice for you. Just get this one w/ a kit lens, plus a couple of pancake limited lenses, you are set to have a lot shooting fun :cool:

hmm.. I'm wandering where did FW get this camera? :):)

oya... isnt it NUS campus?? Should be school of engineering? :):)

Another quick teste on high ISO, here is the testing shot:

K-m+M50/2 @ ISO1600:

IMGP0020_c.jpg

ISO1600 Center crop:
IMGP0020_cc.jpg

ISO1600 Edge crop (w/ dark area):
IMGP0020_ce.jpg

ISO3200 Center crop:
IMGP0021_cc.jpg

ISO3200 Edge crop (w/ dark area):
IMGP0021_ce.jpg

I didn't have my K20D w/ my, but a friend happened to come by w/ his K10D camera. At ISO1600 to 3200, K-m beats K10D by miles ...

But one thing I found out which hasn't been reported elsewhere: the K-m camera works great w/ manual lenses, the metering is very accurate. I tested it w/ a manual Pentax M 50/2 lens at various aperture setting from wide open to F22, camera set to M mode, metering by pressing the Av/Ev button (for stopdown metering on this camera), all results came out w/ very accurate exposure value.

At ISO1600 to 3200, K-m beats K10D by miles ...

I guess I should downgrade then. :think::bsmilie:

Nice work fengwei.

Good first impression bro.
In the short time I used it before passing it to my niece, I was suitably impressed by the responsiveness of the camera. Agree with you it puts the K10D in the shade image quality wise.

Now trying to get my client in Japan to source for the white one when it comes out... ;p

Thanks for sharing the hands on fengwei. It's not on top of my list so i think i can control the BBB virus.:sweat:

i heard that the k-m auto focuses faster than the k10d? any idea when will pentax release a high end model with the same af module?

Oh no! Just when I am soooooo happy with the K200D, now FW has spread the BBB virus here again!;p The noise level at ISO1600 is very good! Are they using the same sensor as the K200D? If yes then likely they are increasing on the aggressiveness of the noise reduction to be in line with the other makes.
If this is more on firmware, hopefully they will offer the same upgrade for existing K200D and K20D users too!
Good review, Feng Wei :)

Guys, it's so small, and the body/lens (separate) actually fits into one of my Billingham front pouch!

I haven't played it long, probably just 10 to 20min, but I do have great feeling about this camera. I think I'll be getting one for myself, put a split focus screen in it, and play w/ my manaul lenses :D

If you are looking for a small and compact dSLR camera, I think this one is a great choice for you. Just get this one w/ a kit lens, plus a couple of pancake limited lenses, you are set to have a lot shooting fun :cool:

Read somewhere that the focus screen on the K-m cannot be changed. Is the focus screen the same as the K200 and K20? How difficult is it to confirm focus without a split screen?

Some testshots using the K-M with a 77... Back in Shah Alam and only had a basic PC, with no lightroom.. Only used the picasa 3 for inputing text, and cropping (resizing)...

IMGP4052.JPG

IMGP4042.JPG

very heavily cropped ...

More test with the different filters ...

Soft Filter
IMGP4064.JPG

High Contrast filter
IMGP4068.JPG

Retro filter that encompasses a bit more brown setting with a medium sized border ...
IMGP4073.JPG

When you straighten the picture, the funny thing is the white border doesn't rotate!!!

Blue only Filter
IMGP4087.JPG

Red only Filter
IMGP4089.JPG

All of these pictures may have a little cropping with NO pp ...

Last edited:
Interesting. Thanks for sharing Bernard.

hand on also, but find it more suitable for lady, maybe I got a big hands....fengwei, got any news for coming K30D?:sweatsm:

More...

AF Confirmation only beep, no red dot like our K100D --> K20D. Unless there's a way to enable it somewhere I don't see it...

Anyways, I think that's why having a split screen (if you're attempting it and if at all possible or available) will be beneficial.

Status
Not open for further replies.