Handholding heavy lenses

sensornoise

Jun 18, 2009
Of course, the very heavy ones would probably need a monopod or tripod. But how about heavy lenses used for situations where u need to be mobile and always ready(eg photojournalism)? A pro body with wide aperture standard zoom or telephoto zoom typically adds up to 2kg-2.5kg even without flash.

Using a strap worn over the neck is definitely not a good idea for obvious reasons. I think most people sling it over the shoulders. This method probably works to make it seem lighter to carry but I've tried it myself and I find it very inconvenient as it is always not in a ready-to-shoot position. You can use a backpack or a shoulder bag, but it's only good when you are not shooting or carrying equipment that you are not using at the point of time.

Would like to hear how you guys carry ur stuff around while shooting (equipment readily available) :)

R-strap.

I use a op tech strap and place on my shoulder. A small pouch to place some of the lenses in there. The main carrier place it somewhere secure.

Hey guys, thx for sharing. I've considered these alternatives before.

I'm not sure if the R-strap is secure enough as the camera is turned upside down and the whole load is supported by just the tripod mount of the cam/tripod collar. I've heard that there are issues with shooting in portrait orientation too on a camera with vertical grip. However its a very cool idea.

The cotton carrier looks great too but attracts too much attention. Also, does it work in our hot humid Singapore? The cotton carrier uses the same method to secure the camera, and I believe similar issues would be involved.

Do u guys actually use them?

In this v i d e o, that guy claims that the tripod mount is very strong. Dunno whether that guy is credible or not :dunno:

my camera sling rests on my shoulder (instead of putting the whole arm through the sling before slinging camera on the shoulder). my hand is always gripping my camera and when i want to shoot, i simply bring up my camera (at this point, the strip simply falls off the shoulder and hence does not get in the way) and it is in a ready to shoot position.

Hey guys, thx for sharing. I've considered these alternatives before.

I'm not sure if the R-strap is secure enough as the camera is turned upside down and the whole load is supported by just the tripod mount of the cam/tripod collar. I've heard that there are issues with shooting in portrait orientation too on a camera with vertical grip. However its a very cool idea.

Do u guys actually use them?

Not anymore with the new FR2

I sling it on my shoulder...I use the strap bought by fellow cs member which has polystrene...and elastic paddings to keep it comfy and make it non-slip.

+evenstar: That is interesting. When I use that method, the camera gets stuck in an awkward position. Please let me know how you do it...

I wonder why nobody commented on the v i d e o yet?

www.cottoncarrier.com + www.thinktankphoto.com

Cotton Carrier Carrying Solution + Think Tank Steroid Speed Belt + Think Tank Pouches

4342916499_c7a4e63cf4_o.jpg

Last edited:
+evenstar: That is interesting. When I use that method, the camera gets stuck in an awkward position. Please let me know how you do it...

I wonder why nobody commented on the v i d e o yet?
another method i find easy to use:

slinging
DSCF4368.jpg

when shooting landscape
DSCF4370.jpg

portrait
DSCF4371.jpg

one handed operation even with a 70-200 2.8 is not a problem for me..ensure that the camera strap is able to slide comfortably around your shoulder for fluent motion

Headshotzx: That is just awesome...makes ur stuff seem lighter + you can run around with it. Gotta go try it out. But it looks too pro for casual use. Thanks!

+evenstar: The 2nd method is the 'awkward' method I was talking about. I tried the previous method. I managed to make the strap 'fall off my shoulder' as I grap my camera up eye level. Haha. Works ok, just not as fast as black rapid. Anyway, is that your 70-200mm? Not scared of gaffer tape peeling off the paint?

Last edited:
Headshotzx: That is just awesome...makes ur stuff seem lighter + you can run around with it. Gotta go try it out. But it looks too pro for casual use. Thanks!

+evenstar: The 2nd method is the 'awkward' method I was talking about. I tried the previous method. I managed to make the strap 'fall off my shoulder' as I grap my camera up eye level. Haha. Works ok, just not as fast as black rapid. Anyway, is that your 70-200mm? Not scared of gaffer tape peeling off the paint?
hmm the "awkard" method works fine for me as the strap is able to slide smoothly around my shoulders (maybe it's because i'm small sized..hehh)...

yup that's my 70-200, no worries of gaffer tape peeling off the paint

yes....rstrap on portrait mode, sometimes the straps gets in the way a tiny wee bit.....as for whether its secured.....i hook it to me RC2 plate....7D with grip + 300mm F4. Never had a problem. The padded slings help mighty with that weight. in the end, really without the monopod and tripod, what killed me was the weight when i hold it up to shoot (with or without grip in the above setup). The shoulder did not kill me and i have broken collar bones from an accident 4 years ago.